Packed Primitives

Forums: Packed Primitives
Houdini Integrated Plugin

Moderator: juanjgon

Packed Primitives

Postby fellowla » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:05 pm

fellowla Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:05 pm
So I know currently that packed primitives are not supported inside of the Houdini plugin. However if I export packed primitives via the alembic export strait into the standalone it is able to make use of them as alembic instances just fine, loading only the geometry for an initial instance, in a packed primitive structure that contains multiple instance types and attributes.

So my question is if packed primitive support could be added to the Houdini Plugin, it seems the standalone is quite capable of making use of it.

A packed primitive is basically a packed alembic when it comes down to it, and since they added it, object instancing has become more or less obsolete. That being said object instancing is still very useful, but in terms of how memory is handled, using packed primitives isn't that much different, its just more streamlined with everything else in Houdini. There are even alembic based plugins like Multiverse that specifically make use of Houdini's packed primitives.

http://multi-verse.io/plugins/houdini/

Anywho, it would be great if this could be added so that I could use copy networks with packed primitives again, and not have to separate each instance variation into its own geometry node in order to use it.

cheers!
-N
fellowla
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Packed Primitives

Postby fellowla » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:15 pm

fellowla Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:15 pm
Doh! Moving This to the user request thread.
fellowla
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Houdini