When will the service be available?

Forums: When will the service be available?
Discussion forum for OctaneRender Cloud

Re: When will the service be available?

Postby Goldorak » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:44 pm

Goldorak Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:44 pm
ORC was available for the public to use in RTM last May and June on orc.otoy.com. It completed renders for 1500 users during those months without any issue (some of those renders even won). If we felt that was the right time to launch it we certainly could have done so then.

The final release of ORC is coming with V3. This has been said before. We have several reasons for doing this in tandem with he 3.0 release, after gathering data for years during our user facing tests with ORC. There are features we specifically added in V3 that make the cost of cloud rendering much less onerous on the customer.

More details at GTC in a little over a week.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:22 am

Rikk The Gaijin Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:22 am
Goldorak wrote:The final release of ORC is coming with V3. This has been said before.

Do I have to quote how many times you wrote it was a V2 release?
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:13 am

Goldorak Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:13 am
We also were gong to do an OpenCL port before we ported/cross compiled CUDA to AMD. Things change and there's a reason why they do. You got to use ORC last year with 2.x for free. With V3.0 we're charging and there's a lot of thinking that went into picking that point to jump off from for a commercial release.

Let's talk after GTC.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby esteban_diacono » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:25 pm

esteban_diacono Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:25 pm
Sure, let's talk after the conference, but in the meantime, you are losing users to other render engines because even the people who can afford having a 4X GTX rig (or bigger) are having problems to hit deadlines. Yes, Octane is faster than anything I have tried, but the inability to outsource the rendering process always puts the user in trouble. I can't afford to render locally 1000 10-15 min frames on my twin 980ti system, and even if i had the time, i can't have my computer bricked during those render hours. It's simply not practical.
I understand volumetrics are important, and that the CUDA port will get you more users, but the ones you have right now are REALLY struggling to use Octane in production. I also understand that you want to dominate the GPU rendering market, but you need to be at least for now a bit more flexible. Many renderfarms are willing to invest in GPU racks, but the EULA doesn't leave room for any practical use of remote servers.
Sorry guys; I REALLY love Octane and my work has never looked better or has been more pleasant, but right now it's difficult to support the product completely. I recommended Octane to a lot of friends and studios I work with, and they all want to kill me because of the bottleneck they have gotten into. Even studios with 6+ computers have a difficult time balancing the cost and benefit of buying 6+ licenses to use network rendering, when it's probably not gonna be enough.
I WANT to use Octane all the time, and support every release, but you need to help us too.

Thanks for reading.
esteban_diacono
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Yambo » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:41 pm

Yambo Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:41 pm
esteban_diacono wrote:Sure, let's talk after the conference, but in the meantime, you are losing users to other render engines because even the people who can afford having a 4X GTX rig (or bigger) are having problems to hit deadlines. Yes, Octane is faster than anything I have tried, but the inability to outsource the rendering process always puts the user in trouble. I can't afford to render locally 1000 10-15 min frames on my twin 980ti system, and even if i had the time, i can't have my computer bricked during those render hours. It's simply not practical.
I understand volumetrics are important, and that the CUDA port will get you more users, but the ones you have right now are REALLY struggling to use Octane in production. I also understand that you want to dominate the GPU rendering market, but you need to be at least for now a bit more flexible. Many renderfarms are willing to invest in GPU racks, but the EULA doesn't leave room for any practical use of remote servers.
Sorry guys; I REALLY love Octane and my work has never looked better or has been more pleasant, but right now it's difficult to support the product completely. I recommended Octane to a lot of friends and studios I work with, and they all want to kill me because of the bottleneck they have gotten into. Even studios with 6+ computers have a difficult time balancing the cost and benefit of buying 6+ licenses to use network rendering, when it's probably not gonna be enough.
I WANT to use Octane all the time, and support every release, but you need to help us too.

Thanks for reading.

Can't agree more.
4x 980ti EVGA | 5930k | Asus X99 E WS 3.1 | corsair 64GB RAM |SSD 500GB system + SSD 2TB working files + 6TB HDD storage WD |
Phanteks Enthoo Primo | 1600W EVGA T2 BLACK | It's the fastest 4x980ti build: http://goo.gl/hYp8e0 :)

https://yambo.me
Yambo
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby renderingz » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:09 pm

renderingz Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:09 pm
esteban_diacono wrote:Sure, let's talk after the conference, but in the meantime, you are losing users to other render engines because even the people who can afford having a 4X GTX rig (or bigger) are having problems to hit deadlines. Yes, Octane is faster than anything I have tried, but the inability to outsource the rendering process always puts the user in trouble. I can't afford to render locally 1000 10-15 min frames on my twin 980ti system, and even if i had the time, i can't have my computer bricked during those render hours. It's simply not practical.

Thanks for reading.

+1
Win `10/ Cinema 4D R17 / 2 x 780 GTX 6GB + 2 x 980ti
renderingz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ristoraven » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:10 pm

ristoraven Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:10 pm
Just one point: you shouldn't give your clients too tight deadlines. Deadlines should be realistic.
I know that clients comes to you, wants you to create a stunning, Hollywood quality animation, in two days and it should cost 1000$ (including taxes).
If people agrees to do this, it really is not anyone elses fault if the deadlines are not met.

Clients in general don't know how these things are made. They don't have a clue and they don't even care to know. Still, when negotiating about the deadline you should be able to say what it realistically takes and what it costs. Give them examples from Hollywood, like "in this scene it took them three days to render one frame".. Unrealistic deadlines, unrealistic promises - and if someone is able to pull it off in two days with Hollywood quality and 1000$ - these all erode and screw up the whole business. Clients will get that idea that this is easy, this is cheap and so on.
If it takes a month to render, you should say it takes month and a half and you should charge month and a half. Leave room to fix errors.
ristoraven
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ristoraven » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:30 pm

ristoraven Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:30 pm
One more thing.

I think it would be a good idea if the ORC pricing would be confidential and made available only to Octane license owners. It would give more room to artists to negotiate about projects and fees.
What do you all think about this?
ristoraven
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby esteban_diacono » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:07 pm

esteban_diacono Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:07 pm
ristoraven wrote:Just one point: you shouldn't give your clients too tight deadlines. Deadlines should be realistic.
I know that clients comes to you, wants you to create a stunning, Hollywood quality animation, in two days and it should cost 1000$ (including taxes).
If people agrees to do this, it really is not anyone elses fault if the deadlines are not met.

Clients in general don't know how these things are made. They don't have a clue and they don't even care to know. Still, when negotiating about the deadline you should be able to say what it realistically takes and what it costs. Give them examples from Hollywood, like "in this scene it took them three days to render one frame".. Unrealistic deadlines, unrealistic promises - and if someone is able to pull it off in two days with Hollywood quality and 1000$ - these all erode and screw up the whole business. Clients will get that idea that this is easy, this is cheap and so on.
If it takes a month to render, you should say it takes month and a half and you should charge month and a half. Leave room to fix errors.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice, but I've been working in the Industry for over 17 years now, and even when I'm not the greatest negotiating with my clients (it's not my favorite part), I've been managing good enough I think. I understand your point, but for a freelancer like me (my customers are 90% other studios) it would be silly to underestimate them. They know exactly how things are done, and what they want. And more importantly, they also know WHEN they want it.
Anyway, my initial post was not about client managing, but having the flexibility within Octane that other render engines are offering and we are missing (for now).
Thanks for you comment :)
esteban_diacono
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby whersmy » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:13 pm

whersmy Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:13 pm
cant wait for GTC! 8-)
Octane 2022.1.1 nv535.98
mac pro g5| pentium g2030 iGPU| maximus extreme V| 2x gtx590 - 8gb - SSD - win7-x64- 1500W Silverstone|
x201t - gtx580 - egpu ec
Dell G5 - 16GB - dgpu GTX1060 - TB3 egpu @ 1060 / RTX 4090

Octane Render experiments
whersmy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to OctaneRender Cloud