OctaneRender™ Standalone 1.37 RC2

Forums: OctaneRender™ Standalone 1.37 RC2
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

Re: OctaneRender™ Standalone 1.37 RC2 [latest]

Postby ROUBAL » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:13 am

ROUBAL Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:13 am
ROUBAL wrote:

Thank you very much Roeland.

So far, my workstation is very busy, computing a fluid simulation and I can't render an animation for testing purpose right now. The interface is also not enough responsive for testing all features. However, I have been able to load a scene and I can tell you already that the image in the 3D viewport is still affected by a jitter when scrolling with the mouse wheel in the Shutter interval field.

It is 23:17 here in France, and I will do a real animation test tomorrow when the current task will be completed and the computer fully available.

Could you give us some simple test scene or at least some screenshots that describe the "jitter"? We are still not sure what exactly you are talking about. Thanks a lot.

@ abstrax :

I have given these two videos as example in the 1.36 thread for a while :

I simplified the scene to save export and render time in the shaky shot. With the shaky camera, the poor dolphin looks like a chilly penguin !

The same effect can be seen in real time in the 3D viewport when scrolling with the Mouse wheel in the shutter value field, when an alembic animation file is loaded.

The animation below, rendered inside Blender with the plugin shows a correct behavior with same setup :

My Workstation is now available, but it is 02:15 and I have to sleep ! I will try to make a simple animation with a cube and animated camera and export it to alembic file tomorrow (well, today in fact).
Last edited by ROUBAL on Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
French Blender user - CPU : intel Quad QX9650 at 3GHz - 8GB of RAM - Windows 7 Pro 64 bits. Display GPU : GeForce GTX 480 (2 Samsung 2443BW-1920x1600 monitors). External GPUs : two EVGA GTX 580 3GB in a Cubix GPU-Xpander Pro 2. NVidia Driver : 368.22.
ROUBAL
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby roeland » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:24 am

roeland Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:24 am
smicha wrote:A small bug: when I use HDRI as a environment map and then go back to sky environment the north offset is changed from 0 to 12. Can you reproduce it?

Yes, 12 is the default setting for GMT offset. But I can imagine it being a bit annoying if you switch between HDRI and sky. You can make two separate nodes using the node graph editor.

--
Roeland
roeland
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby abstrax » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:45 am

abstrax Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:45 am
Tugpsx wrote:Thanks for update, petty issue but when grouping nodes, the connectors become crossed or jumbled.

Thanks for the report. The next build should fix this issue. From then on, grouping of nodes should create the linker nodes in the order of the source pins. I hope that is ok.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:30 am

Rikk The Gaijin Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:30 am
I've found few issues, not a big deal, but you might want to get them fixed:

● when you select a node inside of a group, inside of another group, the Outliner does not highlight the father, so you can't see where your selection is

● when you render out an animation through the script "Render imported animation", the Samples/px entry is basically ignored, you need to set the desired samples in the actual node or render target. Also, if your render target has an higher samples than the one you specify in the script, it gives you an error.

● the above script, only uses time, but if you are displaying frames, the interface doesn't change
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby hubeush » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:31 pm

hubeush Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:31 pm
The program doesn't work on my geforce 9800 GT.
GPU quick information is red with 0MB.
hubeush
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ROUBAL » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:44 pm

ROUBAL Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:44 pm
:arrow: @ OTOY :

OK, I have made a simple scene with only a camera, an Empty and a cube. The cube is parented to the Empty, the camera moves around with few Loc keys and is tracking the Empty. The camera moves perfectly smoothly in Blender and when rendered Inside Blender with octane plugin. I also tried without the Empty and without the tracking constraint. The problem is always present, as soon as the camera is moving.

On the video below, you can see what happens when scrolling the mouse wheel over different fields as well as the 3D viewport at the end of the video.

I have attached a zip file containing the alembic file, the ocs scene as well as an orbx scene including the alembic node with just a blue glossy material added to the cube for better visibility.
Attachments
AlembicCameraTest_03.zip
(60.36 KiB) Downloaded 217 times
Last edited by ROUBAL on Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
French Blender user - CPU : intel Quad QX9650 at 3GHz - 8GB of RAM - Windows 7 Pro 64 bits. Display GPU : GeForce GTX 480 (2 Samsung 2443BW-1920x1600 monitors). External GPUs : two EVGA GTX 580 3GB in a Cubix GPU-Xpander Pro 2. NVidia Driver : 368.22.
ROUBAL
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby manalokos » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:08 pm

manalokos Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:08 pm
There is something different in Lua that make the script "refresh scatter nodes" not work anymore, giving this error message.
error.jpg

The script is here:

Code: Select all
-- Calls the predicate function on each item of the given type.
-- This will recursive in each graph to find nodes of the given type.
--
-- @param   graph (Graph)
-- @param   nodeType (Type of node we're looking for)
-- @param   pred (Predicate function that takes a scatter node)
-- @shortcut    alt+1
function updateItem(g, nodeType, pred)
    for i, item in ipairs(g:getOwnedItems()) do
        if item:getProperties().type == nodeType then
            pred(item)
        elseif item:getProperties().isGraph then
            updateItem(item, nodeType, pred)
        end
    end
end

-- reloads a scatter node
function reloadScatter(node)
    print("reloading ", node)
    node:setAttribute(octane.A_RELOAD, true)
end

updateItem(octane.nodegraph.getRootGraph(), octane.NT_GEO_SCATTER, reloadScatter)
manalokos
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby stratified » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:15 pm

stratified Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:15 pm
octane.nodegraph.getRootGraph() changed to octane.project.getSceneGraph() a couple releases back.

cheers,
Thomas
stratified
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby roeland » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:31 pm

roeland Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:31 pm
hubeush wrote:The program doesn't work on my geforce 9800 GT.
GPU quick information is red with 0MB.

This version of Octane requires a more recent GPU, you need at least the geforce 400 series.

--
Roeland
roeland
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby roeland » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:33 pm

roeland Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:33 pm
Rikk The Gaijin wrote:I've found few issues, not a big deal, but you might want to get them fixed:

● when you select a node inside of a group, inside of another group, the Outliner does not highlight the father, so you can't see where your selection is

● when you render out an animation through the script "Render imported animation", the Samples/px entry is basically ignored, you need to set the desired samples in the actual node or render target. Also, if your render target has an higher samples than the one you specify in the script, it gives you an error.

● the above script, only uses time, but if you are displaying frames, the interface doesn't change

We can fix the latter two issues. The first one is tricky, because if the outliner automatically expands any node which gets selected, it will after a while just have too much nodes open. You can right-click on a node and pick "Show in outliner".

--
Roeland
roeland
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

PreviousNext

Return to Development Build Releases