Page 1 of 1
Octane crash on Linux
Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2026 2:16 pm
by fenfinit
Had constant OctaneServer crashes on camera move, asked AI to debug it and it gave this md file with bug report.
I also had to compile zlib from the repo, it doesn't work with the one I have in my system
- OS: CachyOS (Arch), kernel 7.2.4-3-cachyos
- GPU: NVIDIA RTX 5060 Ti 16GB
- Driver: 615.71.09
- Octane: 2026.4 / 31.10-stable (Prime), build 15030000
- Host: Blender 5.2.2 LTS
- Crash: SIGSEGV SEGV_MAPERR, `this == nullptr` in
`ApiItem::isNode()` from `batchUpdateConsumerLoop()`; second core in
`RecurseItemXml()`
- Trigger: camera movement in the viewport after scene load
Re: Octane crash on Linux
Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2026 7:45 am
by linograndiotoy
Could you please share your scene and exact steps to reproduce the crash? Does it only happen on Linux?
Thanks!
Re: Octane crash on Linux
Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2026 6:06 pm
by fenfinit
linograndiotoy wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2026 7:45 am
Could you please share your scene and exact steps to reproduce the crash? Does it only happen on Linux?
Thanks!
Thank you for answering, I sent blend file to your PM, and there's also octane_log.txt file in attachments to this post
Re: Octane crash on Linux
Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2026 6:24 pm
by linograndiotoy
I've loaded your scene and I noticed you're not using Blender 5.2, but a more recent version, probably still not supporterd by the current Octane addon.
Re: Octane crash on Linux
Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2026 7:17 am
by fenfinit
linograndiotoy wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2026 6:24 pm
I've loaded your scene and I noticed you're not using Blender 5.2, but a more recent version, probably still not supporterd by the current Octane addon.
While we are at this, why PMC kernel rendering stops at 970-980 samples? There's no gpu utilization, but rendering is still going
Re: Octane crash on Linux
Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2026 7:01 am
by linograndiotoy
Could you please check whether Octane’s AI denoiser is enabled? It isn’t compatible with the PMC kernel. If it’s enabled, please disable denoising and try rendering again to see whether it still stalls around 970–980 samples.
For general rendering, I’d normally recommend Path Tracing, or Photon Tracing if caustics are important. PMC can be useful in specific cases involving difficult indirect lighting or caustics, but it can take considerably longer to converge. Is there a particular reason you’re using it for this scene?
Regardless of the kernel choice, the stall is worth investigating. Could you also confirm your Max Samples setting and whether the same scene finishes correctly with Path Tracing?
Re: Octane crash on Linux
Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2026 10:34 am
by fenfinit
linograndiotoy wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2026 7:01 am
Could you please check whether Octane’s AI denoiser is enabled? It isn’t compatible with the PMC kernel. If it’s enabled, please disable denoising and try rendering again to see whether it still stalls around 970–980 samples.
For general rendering, I’d normally recommend Path Tracing, or Photon Tracing if caustics are important. PMC can be useful in specific cases involving difficult indirect lighting or caustics, but it can take considerably longer to converge. Is there a particular reason you’re using it for this scene?
Regardless of the kernel choice, the stall is worth investigating. Could you also confirm your Max Samples setting and whether the same scene finishes correctly with Path Tracing?
I use PMC because I rely mostly on world light. I was trying to use 2000 samples because of OSL lenses, they produce a lot of noise, and I don't use denoisers in general. On path tracing and photon tracing I had no issues.