Page 2 of 2
Re: Color Space Issues
Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2026 8:32 pm
by BLisowski
I just downloaded the new version for Maya and the sample and RGB color do now match which is great! However the render still doesn't match either of those. I still have to plug the RGB spectrum node into a color correction node with a gamma of 2.2 to match. I attached Images below
Re: Color Space Issues
Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2026 1:30 am
by BK
BLisowski wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2026 8:32 pm
I just downloaded the new version for Maya and the sample and RGB color do now match which is great! However the render still doesn't match either of those. I still have to plug the RGB spectrum node into a color correction node with a gamma of 2.2 to match. I attached Images below
Hi BLisowski,
Thanks for the update.
It maybe the Imager response has sRGB, try setting as Linear.
Attaching a sample scene to double check.
Please make sure to disable or set the Maya's Color management to Raw!!
Cheers
Re: Color Space Issues
Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2026 2:00 am
by BLisowski
Yes my color management is turned off, and when I set it to Linear in imager it looks like the sample color. However, like in my previous scene, the HDRI is being read correctly when the imager is set to sRGB so when I set my imager to linear my lighting becomes very different. I tried changing the gamma setting in the octaneimagetexture but it also seems like the gamma attribute in any of the octaneimagetextures does not work
Re: Color Space Issues
Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2026 3:00 am
by BK
BLisowski wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2026 2:00 am
Yes my color management is turned off, and when I set it to Linear in imager it looks like the sample color. However, like in my previous scene, the HDRI is being read correctly when the imager is set to sRGB so when I set my imager to linear my lighting becomes very different. I tried changing the gamma setting in the octaneimagetexture but it also seems like the gamma attribute in any of the octaneimagetextures does not work
Hi BLisowski,
Thank you again!!
If you are using an HDRI, then we need to attach a OCIOColor Space node in the Color Space pin.
Something like this.
The gamma in the image texture works when we set the `Linear sRGB + Legacy Gamma` in the OCIOColorSpace node.
cheers
Re: Color Space Issues
Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2026 3:31 pm
by BLisowski
Thanks. I tried a couple different options with the imager and the gamma attribute. I attached 4 images to show what each resulted in.
#1: Imager is set to sRGB and the HDRI Linear sRGB. The HDRI and lighting look great but the color on the mesh does not.
#2 is the same as #1 but using a color correct with a gamma of 2.2 after the rgbspectrum node. The lighting and colors of everything looks great.
#3 is the same as #1 but the imager is set to Linear which you can see changed the lighting and the HDRI drastically.
#4 is the same as #3 but I changed the gamma of the HDRI to .4545 so it looks like its suppose to. At first glance this looks good because the HDRI looks correct, I am getting the correct color on the mesh, but the lighting is very dim and does not match.
I attached the scene so you can try each option as well. The scene will load with #2 settings which use the color correction node.
I have tried it in other programs such as modo and cinema 4d as well and I get a perfect image just like #2 but without having to use the color correct node work around
Re: Color Space Issues
Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2026 11:20 pm
by BK
BLisowski wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2026 3:31 pm
Thanks. I tried a couple different options with the imager and the gamma attribute. I attached 4 images to show what each resulted in.
#1: Imager is set to sRGB and the HDRI Linear sRGB. The HDRI and lighting look great but the color on the mesh does not.
#2 is the same as #1 but using a color correct with a gamma of 2.2 after the rgbspectrum node. The lighting and colors of everything looks great.
#3 is the same as #1 but the imager is set to Linear which you can see changed the lighting and the HDRI drastically.
#4 is the same as #3 but I changed the gamma of the HDRI to .4545 so it looks like its suppose to. At first glance this looks good because the HDRI looks correct, I am getting the correct color on the mesh, but the lighting is very dim and does not match.
I attached the scene so you can try each option as well. The scene will load with #2 settings which use the color correction node.
I have tried it in other programs such as modo and cinema 4d as well and I get a perfect image just like #2 but without having to use the color correct node work around
#1 sRGB imager.png
#2 sRGB imager with color correct.png
#3 Linear imager.png
#4 Linear imager HDRI 0.45.png
Hi BLisowski,
Thank you for the update.
It looks like Maya swatches is rendering as Linear sRGB while the IPR render has the sRGB response via imager.
Our core developer also confirmed this earlier.
When we compare with C4d without the CC node, the render is identical.
Here is the correct Color Management settings in Maya Preferences.
And we need to roll back to Legacy mode.
Try and see if it works..
Cheers
Re: Color Space Issues
Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2026 3:14 pm
by BLisowski
It took me a while to figure out how to change color space to legacy (I had to edit my ASCII file code because the file path was greyed out)
I changed it to sRGB gamma and applied an sRGB colorspace node to my HDRI so it would look proper. 2 things I noticed was that my lighting is still drastically different and that the color sample and material in the IPR match however they do not match the exact same color values in photoshop. I attached a screenshot to show the difference between the colors from maya and photoshop.
I then used maya's color picker and picked the darker purple color in photoshop and then the color sample looked the same (attached gif) however the RGB values were very different. This is a problem for me because I need to use accurate hex codes/rgb values rather than the color picker a lot. Color picking the correct color is not always an option so I need the hex code/RGB values to be identical between programs and to look identical between programs.