Launching of OctaneRender™ for Maya®

Forums: Launching of OctaneRender™ for Maya®
Read about News and Updates regarding Octane Render in this forum.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: NEW: Launching of OctaneRender™ for Maya®

Postby EdgeSuizo » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:40 am

EdgeSuizo Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:40 am
well, after thinking about and talk with my boss, he ask me to get the plugin (i bought for myself before he gets a license for the office) to see if we can render the animated serie we are doing with octane, so i set up a test scene and set he plugion and the standalone with the same parameters, and the diference is realy big, like the poor roughtness control on the materials, the image quality with the same samples or just get maya crash, but if i dont think about the problems, its works nice, im gonna wait for more updates.
Attachments
test.jpg
i7 950 / Asus Rampage III Extreme / 12gb Ram / SLI GTX 570
EdgeSuizo
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:19 pm

Rikk The Gaijin Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:19 pm
This must be a bad joke... MONTHS of waiting to end up with a very poor-looking plugin that costs as much as the standalone version, gives inferior quality render and there is no even a DEMO of it?! :shock:
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby RickToxik » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:28 pm

RickToxik Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:28 pm
As much as I'd like to see more of Octane to make up my mind, I'd also like to more tests/troubleshooting of those comparisons to say that it's not worth it.....

Boy why are you people so angry??? 5 versions of the Octane beta-demo-first edition versions would not even cost you a vray license!!!!!

You should support development instead of shouting in your bedroom. Boy, what have you done in your life? Did you ever develop anything...

It would be constructive if those of you who have the plugins confirm the differences between the standalone and maya versions, or just add more of those screenshots.
RickToxik
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby matej » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:47 pm

matej Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:47 pm
I think that the software (I'm talking about the standalone version, dunno about plugins) is worth every cent of that 100EUR.

Though the low price should stop being an excuse for glacier-speed snail-paced sloth-strolling development.

Will another 100EUR speed-up development by 2x? If yes, then shut up and take my money (and I'll shut up too :D)
SW: Octane 3.05 | Linux Mint 18.1 64bit | Blender 2.78 HW: EVGA GTX 1070 | i5 2500K | 16GB RAM Drivers: 375.26
cgmo.net
matej
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby centropolis » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:23 pm

centropolis Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:23 pm
Very very poor. Slow and unstable.
Otoy ... Bad job! The UI really primitive. You work on it a lot. Really.
:(
Intel Core i7 / 16 Gb Ram / 2x GeForce GTX680 1536+1536 Cuda Core / Windows 7 Pro
centropolis
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Snoopy » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:27 pm

Snoopy Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:27 pm
Centropolis did you buy it?
I'm thinking about buying it but not sure yet, it's not the money.

I agree with a lot of people, this is not expensive, but spending so many hours trying to make something work is.
When I play with some 3d graphics for personal use I have no problem with wasting time,
but when I get a project I can't try so many things, don't have the time,
I have to use what works.

Because the way Octane works as a standalone product, it affects the way I build the objects or animation,
when I'm on a deadline I have to make sure all the time spent before rendering will not go to waste,
I was thinking the plugin would help with that.

It would be very helpful if people that bought it would write an objective clear list of pros and cons.

The picture from Edgesuizo shows noise, over exposed, different color temperature (white balance).

I'm sure everybody has seen the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGhPWJ7qACg

In the end all we want is for the plugin to work.
Snoopy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby brue » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:18 am

brue Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:18 am
really need for there to be a 2010 x64 version. Plenty of houses still run 2010.
SuperMicro X9DAI
Dual Xeon E5-2670
64 GB DDR3-1600
Dual EVGA 680 4 GB
Win 7
Nvidia Driver 310.71

ASROCK Extreme 11
Intel 3970X OC'd 5.2 GHZ
64 GB DDR3-2400
Tri EVGA 680 4 GB
Win 7
Nvidia Driver 310.71
brue
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby jmfowler » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:18 am

jmfowler Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:18 am
brue wrote:really need for there to be a 2010 x64 version. Plenty of houses still run 2010.

I agree - there was no good reason to upgrade to 2011 for Maya - IMO, and others.

I think you will find many people are still running 2010, and although I can understand the need to limit how many different version of Maya you support I can't help feeling Otoy may have missed the trend that many people and studios did not upgrade past 2010 because the new features did not warrant the price for the upgrade....

currently running 2010 x64. EDIT - this is the only reason I have not bought the license.
Maya 2013 / W7 64bit / Intel i7 980 / 24GB / Gigabyte gtx 580 3GB + 2*EVGA gtx 680 4gb / MB Gigabyte X58A-UD3R / NZXT Phantom - white/black case
Maya 2013/W7 64bit/Intel i7 3820/16GB/ MB Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3 /4*EVGA gtx 680 4gb/SSD 6Gb.s /CM HAF X case
jmfowler
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby JimStar » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:51 am

JimStar Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:51 am
Snoopy wrote:It would be very helpful if people that bought it would write an objective clear list of pros and cons.

I think it's too early to these "cons" would have had the sense for these very first versions of plugin. As I work very fast fixing the "cons" which I see reported (that are even not days but hours for the new fixed version is out) - so, to the time of reading by you of these "cons" written by somebody, these cons may already not exist in the new fixed versions.;)
Perhaps some weeks later, when the plugin becomes absolutely stable and features-full, and will be limited only by features of current Octane engine, it will make sense...

EdgeSuizo
If you can give me these test Octane project and Maya scene to I can compare and search the reason of it (if it still exists for you in the last version, as it may be already fixed as there was the bug in textures rendering fixed in 2.58b) - then I will fix it as soon as will catch the reason.;)
JimStar
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby EdgeSuizo » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:04 pm

EdgeSuizo Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:04 pm
JimStar wrote:
EdgeSuizo
If you can give me these test Octane project and Maya scene to I can compare and search the reason of it (if it still exists for you in the last version, as it may be already fixed as there was the bug in textures rendering fixed in 2.58b) - then I will fix it as soon as will catch the reason.;)

I can send you the scene at night here in Chile, im in the studio right now. im gonna send you the maya scene and the octane scene to check the values.

Another problem i have with the plugin is the batch render mode, i cant find a way to create a batch to render an animation, i tried with backburner, but it gives me an error so i think the octane plugin doesnt work wit backburner.
Last edited by EdgeSuizo on Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i7 950 / Asus Rampage III Extreme / 12gb Ram / SLI GTX 570
EdgeSuizo
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements