SSS skin help?

Forums: SSS skin help?
Post, discuss and share handy resources like textures, models and HDRI maps in this forum.
Forum rules
Please do not post any material that is copyrighted or restricted from public use in any way. OTOY NZ LTD and it's forum members are not liable for any copyright infringements on material in this forum. Please contact us if this is the case and we will remove the material in question.

SSS skin help?

Postby portgas » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:29 pm

portgas Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:29 pm
Anyone can help noob with sss skin? I can't figure out what to do in order to apply sss. I went through pdf manual, didn't helped. Basically, all i got is this, and the result is not good. If someone can help or even share their skin shader, i would be very grateful.
Attachments
Без имени-2.jpg
portgas
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: SSS skin help?

Postby abreukers » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:08 pm

abreukers Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:08 pm
hi portgas, we've moved this post from the 'off topic' forum to the 'resources and sharing' forum as you would get more feedback relevant to your request here...
i72630QM @ 2.00GHz | 6GB RAM | 2GB GeForce GT 540M | Win7 64bit
abreukers
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby roeland » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:44 am

roeland Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:44 am
To get a SSS effect on a diffuse material you need to connect a node to the transmission pin (you can see this on page 99 in the manual).

A simple setup to simulate skin is a mix of a diffuse material, which will give the diffuse reflection and some SSS effect, and a rough glossy material, which will give some glossy highlights.

The glossy material should be quite rough (like 0.1 or so) and can have specular set to 1.0.

Connect an RGB node to the transmission pin of the diffuse material. Set the diffuse value to a skin color, and the node at the
transmission pin to a brighter version of this color. If you have a texture apply it to the diffuse input.

The medium node can be set to a scattering medium. The absorption should be set to blue or cyan, so it
lets mainly red light pass through. Adjust the scale slider until you have the right amount of absorption.

Connect both the glossy and diffuse material to the mix material. Adjust the amount slider to get the right amount of glossy reflection.

If you also have a bump map with your skin texture, apply it to the diffuse and glossy materials.

--
Roeland

:arrow: edit by abreukers 03/02/2014:
re: "Using Medium Nodes" used to be on page 99, new edition manuals may have this on another page. For the online manual, Please see "Using Medium Nodes" on http://render.otoy.com/manuals/Standalone/?page_id=368
roeland
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby portgas » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:54 pm

portgas Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:54 pm
Thanks, it seems to work.
portgas
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Resources and Sharing