Questions regarding the apocalypse competition

Forums: Questions regarding the apocalypse competition
A forum which hosts Octane Render Artwork Competitions
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: Questions regarding the apocalypse competition

Postby glimpse » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:12 am

glimpse Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:12 am
Cool, thanks for good news & have a nice time, Radiance!
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mlody47 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:33 pm

mlody47 Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:33 pm
Hey Radiance...

for me there are 2 answers:

first one is mine ( and Im glad that I left the competition and I didnt do anything to it since last my post )

1. People (me at least) knew already from autopsy of previous competitions, that this one will be postponed AGAIN! FOR SURE! :evil: , and they resigned from it, because its just NOT FAIR!!!

and second one ( which I hope will do very good for octane and its promotion ):

2. People knew it will be postponed, and they didnt stop on dec 31st2011 and they maybe still have something for the competition. ( till now for me the 1st place belongs to kubo , 2nd place for kubo, 3rd place for kubo, and artistic/concept place for kubo :) )

I hope I am wrong and we will see tons of renders.... but I really think because of postponing half of the community didnt want to experience it again....
i7 2600K + 2X gtx 580 + GTX 560 Ti + 8gbram + Win7 +
AUTODESK SOFTIMAGE 2012
www.behance.net/mlody47
mlody47
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby radiance » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:57 pm

radiance Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:57 pm
Hi guys,

We need renders to pay for the prizes...
We prolongue competitions to get more renders to be able to afford the expensive prizes we give away...

Can others comment on why they dont want to enter the competition ?
Is it become a chore ? Has it become boring and out of fashion ?

It is very strange to me that give the awesome GPUs given away as prizes nearly nobody wants to enter the competition.
With the current amount of renders, there is a big chance you will get a nice GPU prize by submitting a class A render...

What went wrong ?l
Please comment...

Radiance
Win 7 x64 & ubuntu | 2x GTX480 | Quad 2.66GHz | 8GB
radiance

Postby face » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:00 pm

face Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:00 pm
I would enter, but the time is flying away with other important things ;)

face
Win10 Pro, Driver 378.78, Softimage 2015SP2 & Octane 3.05 RC1,
64GB Ram, i7-6950X, GTX1080TI 11GB
http://vimeo.com/user2509578
face
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby matej » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:48 pm

matej Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:48 pm
I was working on two scenes this whole time we had (wips are in my gallery thread). I will most probably post at least one for the competition.

Since the talk about the second deadline extension started two weeks before the end of the year, people probably knew it would happen and didn't bother to finalize their work and post it in the competition thread.
SW: Octane 3.05 | Linux Mint 18.1 64bit | Blender 2.78 HW: EVGA GTX 1070 | i5 2500K | 16GB RAM Drivers: 375.26
cgmo.net
matej
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby radiance » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:17 pm

radiance Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:17 pm
Really ?
Did people cancel their contribution because the deadline was extended ?
On the deadline we had like 20 renders (multiple of which were from the same artist) submitted. Not near enough for the prizes.

I really don't know what happened, canceling your entry because a month or extra time ?
It just gives you more chance to win as you have an additional month to fine tune your entry and render more shots...

Radiance
radiance

Postby matej » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:40 pm

matej Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:40 pm
No, not cancel. Postpone the release of their entry to work on it a little more.
SW: Octane 3.05 | Linux Mint 18.1 64bit | Blender 2.78 HW: EVGA GTX 1070 | i5 2500K | 16GB RAM Drivers: 375.26
cgmo.net
matej
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby radiance » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:58 pm

radiance Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:58 pm
Hi all,

i also submitted this to the competition thread, but decided to copy it here aswell as it belongs to the topic,
I have done some thnking about it and have come to this conclusion:

We are also going to keep extending the competition until there is enough material submitted to counterbalance the value of the prizes.

If this makes people ''wait" to submit an entry and take more time to refine it, dont do that, it will work against you.
If everyone publishes what they have (and it finished) now instead of later due to the competition being prolongued again,
The competition will close faster. You can also start work and post a 2nd project if there is still a month left, which will double your chances at winning a prize...

So people, please:

* post your entry as soon as it is finished, dont delay it due to competition extentions
* if you have enough time available due to a competition extention, start working on a new entry and submit it before the new deadline.

This will work in your and our favour and will give you more chance to win a prize by submitting multiple entries and will give us more images for the gallery, and we can end the competition soon, instead of in 5 months :)
We will keep extending the competition for one month for as long as it takes to get a decent amount of gallery images of good quality before we end the competition and jury the winners...

Also remember, there is no mandatory theme, you can submit interiors, architecture, whatever you want...

Radiance
radiance

Postby kubo » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:30 am

kubo Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:30 am
mlody47 wrote:till now for me the 1st place belongs to kubo , 2nd place for kubo, 3rd place for kubo, and artistic/concept place for kubo :)

LOL, coming from you is a great compliment!, but jokes aside, I've got many others in mind, matej with a very detail rich and awesome wip, and yogurt with a perfect idea and execution themewise, and I've still have hopes to see your scene ready, it was totally awesome, you know I'm a total "fan" of your work. So let's keep at it and make a great competition.
I've got tons of work this month (the not-so-fun type) and have been down with the dammed flu this past week, but I'm trying to do something new to add or even create a new scene. It's all about enjoying the experience and learning something new. Also trying to play with the Max plugin, I hate having new toys and not having the time to play with them. Well, so many great tools and such a great sotfware that we have to make something awesome, not only for the contest, but for the simple fun of it!
windows 7 x64 | 2xGTX570 (warming up the planet 1ºC at a time) | i7 920 | 12GB
kubo

Postby tehfailsafe » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:24 pm

tehfailsafe Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:24 pm
I see two problems, and they are both involved in me not finishing my entry yet.

Part of the motivation for finishing work is the deadline, I was working on it with most of my free-time during the first month and actually realized I wasn't going to finish by the Oct 31 deadline, so when it was extended I was happy to have more time.

Then came the holidays, so between extra workload and vacation / holiday / family / etc I didn't have any time at all. Now it's been extended again and after re-reading some of the newer posts I see that it will probably be re-extended indefinitely, that removes the "deadline crunch work all night" aspect of it.

The second problem I see with not having a solid deadline is the lack of a stopping point. I probably have 20+ independent projects that have no deadlines and as such I am never "finished" with them. I keep going back and noodling and adding more / taking some away / even starting over at times. Having a solid time to stop the project is key because it forces you to make decisions that take the project to it's completion.

And since I don't want to submit a 1/2 done entry, I'm not sure how to proceed there. Pretend like the end of every month is a deadline and don't revisit them if it gets extended?
windows 7 64 bit| GTX580 1.5Gb x2 | Intel 2600k @ 4.9 | 16gb ddr3 | 3ds max 2012
tehfailsafe
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Competitions