The Apocalypse Competition (Image & Animation) [CLOSED]

Forums: The Apocalypse Competition (Image & Animation) [CLOSED]
A forum which hosts Octane Render Artwork Competitions
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: The Apocalypse Competition (Image & Animation) !!! OPEN !!!

Postby Pancir » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:02 pm

Pancir Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:02 pm
Original 2560 x 1600 (64b)
PhShop - Photo Filter only + resize
~ 3 hours one cam. direct + hdri

C06_MAX.JPG

C06.JPG

CDJ-100s_C06.png

CDJ-100s_C04.png

CDJ-100s_C07.png

CDJ-100s_C02.png
GTX 480
Pancir
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby nuverian » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:06 pm

nuverian Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:06 pm
Half the entries have nothing to do with Apocalypse...
http://www.nuverian.net
nuverian.deviantart.com
---
i7 920 2.66, 6G RAM, GTX 660 Ti, Win7 64x.
nuverian
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Pancir » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:34 am

Pancir Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:34 am
you right but

Although there is no enforced theme for the competition, we will welcome any '2012 Myths - Apocalypse - End of the world' themed artwork, which can be applied in a very broad way.
Don't fret if you want to submit an architectural interior or car model instead, chances to win are purely based on your artistic skills and the quality, originality and creativity of your still and/or animation submissions.
GTX 480
Pancir
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ribrahomedesign » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:07 pm

ribrahomedesign Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:07 pm
hi there.
here is my entry .
this competition was a real challenge because how the most of you know i normally only do archviz.
so i had to learn from scratch how to use particles and dinamics ,explosions .....
it took me weeks to do this little animation , because this is totally out of my comfort zone .
there is no post editing at all ,straight out of octane in to adobe premier pro to add the text .
hope you like it .
Rico

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPNGqObVC7g&list=UUEh8lFF_ECKzEQ9A5tOM4Dg&index=1&feature=plcp[/youtube]

additional i made 2 still images of a room , post editing : colour correction and diffuse glow .
thanks
Rico
Attachments
4.png
0.png
Windows 7 , 64 b / GTX 590 / Archicad 15 , 64 b / Cinema 4D R 13 studio , 64b /Intel(R)Core(TM)Extreme3,20Ghz /always latest Octane.
ribrahomedesign
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby kubo » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:25 pm

kubo Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:25 pm
beautiful Rico, for being "out-of-your-confort-zone" you did an awesome job there, I loved the mood and the storytelling, sure, with more post-pro it would be better, but just plain raw is beautiful!
Btw, yours is an example of what this contests mean for me, do something you are not used to, have fun, learn new stuff, and improve, there is plenty of time to go back to "arch viz" anyway ;) besides you never know when a client is going to ask you to blow up his building ? (That must be how Zaha Hadid's 3D designer feels each time she creates a new project :lol: )
windows 7 x64 | 2xGTX570 (warming up the planet 1ºC at a time) | i7 920 | 12GB
kubo

Postby rosinho12 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:25 am

rosinho12 Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:25 am
ribrahomedesign, your animation is really good man! Although its not super ultra realistic, the animation render of octane is really poor.
how much time to render?

its very sad to have a completed animation and no time to render it :(
but well, i'l post the stills soon, and complete the animation (even if its not for the competition) when i come back from the trip
rosinho12
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby yogurt » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:40 am

yogurt Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:40 am
I would like to congratulate all the participants in this contest. good luck to everyone and The best will win!
I wish you a happy new year and happy holidays (for those who make them).
Yogurt
yogurt
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ribrahomedesign » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:38 am

ribrahomedesign Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:38 am
thanks guys and a happy new year , even if its the last one .i hope the word ends in a spectacular way
so i can watch it in my garden with a bottle off whisky :lol:
Windows 7 , 64 b / GTX 590 / Archicad 15 , 64 b / Cinema 4D R 13 studio , 64b /Intel(R)Core(TM)Extreme3,20Ghz /always latest Octane.
ribrahomedesign
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rosinho12 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:54 pm

rosinho12 Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:54 pm
“another stressing day in the work” – though João Pedro, a Brazilian who was living in the U.S. for a living. João was in a difficult week in the job, the bureaucracies and financial difficulties of the company was hindering his project. A big financial crisis was taking over the world. But João didn’t care, he though only of returning home and see his family.
“Oh that sucks, I still have to sign some papers.” – Though João.

1.png

The day was looking normal, few cars in the city, time for work and study. A sunny day, blue sky. Everything looked normal and calm. The sea in front of his office made him more calm in times of stress. João missed Brazil, the wonderful beaches of the northeast, the large fields of Brazil, the wonderfull southern climates. Sometimes he wishes to come back there, but the job won’t allow it.
Sudenly, looking to the sky, João noticed that the sun was brighter and redish. The beautiful blue and sunny sky was gone. The sky now was red, and the sun, brighter than ever. João was paralyzed, without understanding what happened. But, before he do anything, a meteorites start falling from the sky, a meteor shower was destroying the city!

2.png

João was perplexed, observing that devastating, frightening and also, beautiful scene. João didn’t understand that, why the population were not warned? Scientists haven’t seen it coming? João remembered then of that crazy and old legend. 21st December of 2012, the apocalypse day, the actual day. He didn’t believe in what seens to be the end.
A big meteorite fall in front of his window, luckly didn’t hitting his office. He was thrown on the floor, dizzy.

3.png

João lyed there for a few seconds, thinking, remembering. João was lying in the floor of his office while listening big explosions and screams all over the place. Feel then a great shaking in the building, coming back to the world, remembering the actual situation. He jumped up, and, when started to run, come face to face with the picture of his family.

4.png

João looked, and his eyes filled with tears as his head was filled with worry. He couldn’t stop thinking in his family.
But, he need to save himself. He started then to run, no knowing how he would wen down 135 floors. He knew that the fire scape was crowded, and probably would be trampled. Then, he remembered of the tiny symbol in the elevator, that he seen while going up to the office. The symbol indicates that the elevator was fire proof, and could be used in emergency cases. João tooked the left corridor and started running, running like never to reach the elevator. Fortunely, the elevator was in his floor. He entered the elevator, and told to go up. The lift with new technology obeyd him, and begun to ascend.

5.png

João knows that dying like this was better and faster than the other way.
But, all that didn’t involve only João, nor the city. It involved the world, a world that will repent their very acts against the universe.

For the end is only darkness
rosinho12
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby kubo » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:35 am

kubo Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:35 am
"The end of times was here, and she was going to bring the apocalypse upon them, one sinner at a time"
After my previous entry I thought of doing a series where I "explained" a little more what happend in that first scene. With the introduction of SSS I got so lost having fun with it that I decided that instead of starting it in another part of the city, and following them around in their flight from the city, I needed an interior to test some new Octane features, and also have fun with my newly discovered Blender. The scene was set for making use of instances, as it is now is pretty poly-heavy at over 2M polys with many things left out so I could render it better. Thankfully 2.56 fixes a problem with PMC which was the right kernel for this scene, full of indirect light. The results are better than with previous tests and with less samples, I even "calibrated" the light sources them having different size and it solves much better now. This is a "mid-term" entry while the extension of the contest is decided, and if that is so I'll wait till 2.6 to complete it further, but from today till the 31st, just in case the apocalypse does come, I'll do some more shots :lol:
PMC 5.30hrs 1900 samples, exr untonemapped, small color correction and logo added.
catedral semifinal 01.jpg

again, PMC 4000 samples, exr untonemapped, small color correction and logo added.
catedral semifinal 02.jpg

and the last one, so you could see the third character in the scene, the building itself.
catedral semifinal 04.jpg

when instances get here, I'll add all the stuff to this scene as it was planned, but for now, this is as much as my vram can hold ;P
windows 7 x64 | 2xGTX570 (warming up the planet 1ºC at a time) | i7 920 | 12GB
kubo

PreviousNext

Return to Competitions