Objects move quite differently after exporting from SU8

Forums: Objects move quite differently after exporting from SU8
SketchUp Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Objects move quite differently after exporting from SU8

Postby yannic » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:59 pm

yannic Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:59 pm
Hello all,

I have just installed Octane 1.0 beta 2.46b and SU8 plugin 1024-02 yesterday and I have big problems with moving the objects in Octane after exporting them from SU8.

To reduce any errors I just created a small box in SU right in the middle of the axes, saved it and exportet it to Octane. But it is still not possible to move the box in Octane like I can move it in SU. But the demo-files work absolute correctly. What is wrong? Please help!

After reading the forum I check following settings with my SU-scene:

-units are meters
-axis in middle of box

Thank you,
yannic
yannic
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Objects move quite differently after exporting from SU8

Postby Jaberwocky » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:58 pm

Jaberwocky Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:58 pm
Yannic

Sorry, you cannot move objects in octane.That has to be done in your 3D app.

The only things movable in Octane are the Camera,the sun position, the direction of any IES lighting and any background HDRI lighting maps.

The correct work flow is as follows.

Model the scene in your 3D app. including applying materials or dummy materials to the models.Make sure you have UV mapped the mesh's correctly in the 3D app as well.Any lights you want to create in the scene should also be modelled in the 3D app.

Export the Scene to Octane.This will create a default Camera position.

Make sure the materials appear correctly in the scene once you are within Octane or adjust them using the Material picker or node tree on the LH Side.

Select the lighting mesh's in the scene you have created if you want them on and set them up as Black body emitters and adjust the power to suit or use I.E.S. lighting profiles if you need the interior lighting to be more accurate.

Adjust the Camera Position to suit including adjusting the Lens angle and any other camera settings that you need to apply.

Finally select the render kernel you require - Direct lighting (Faster) or Pathtracing (more Accurate) and finally the Resolution of the output.

Then sit back and let it cook till done and save out the tiff.

;)

That's a rough guide.There are more settings than that but it should get you started

hope that helps a bit.
CPU:-AMD 1055T 6 core, Motherboard:-Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 AM3+, Gigabyte GTX 460-1GB, RAM:-8GB Kingston hyper X Genesis DDR3 1600Mhz D/Ch, Hard Disk:-500GB samsung F3 , OS:-Win7 64bit
Jaberwocky
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TIG » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:11 pm

TIG Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:11 pm
Thanks Jaberwocky...

So... set the objects in your SKP as you want them, relative to each other.
You can also set the initial camera and lighting settings in the SKP to use in the OCS render.
Now export the SKP to OBJ to OCS etc and render.
You can change the camera location, lighting and material's etc etc... BUT you can NOT change where objects are in the rendered scene relative to each other... :roll:
TIG
TIG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Jaberwocky » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:47 pm

Jaberwocky Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:47 pm
TIG wrote:Thanks Jaberwocky...

So... set the objects in your SKP as you want them, relative to each other.
You can also set the initial camera and lighting settings in the SKP to use in the OCS render.
Now export the SKP to OBJ to OCS etc and render.
You can change the camera location, lighting and material's etc etc... BUT you can NOT change where objects are in the rendered scene relative to each other... :roll:

Yep you've got it.

On the subject of cameras you can of course create additional camera scenes by adding extra camera nodes in the preview render tab, then connect each node in turn and then adjusting the camera position for that node,then move on to the next node and repeat.That way if you want to set up say 3 or 4 or more views in a scene with your file and return to them later if need be.

Please see attached the default set-up that I have saved that loads every time I render a new job.
Attachments
Camera node setup.jpg
CPU:-AMD 1055T 6 core, Motherboard:-Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 AM3+, Gigabyte GTX 460-1GB, RAM:-8GB Kingston hyper X Genesis DDR3 1600Mhz D/Ch, Hard Disk:-500GB samsung F3 , OS:-Win7 64bit
Jaberwocky
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Objects/Camera moves quite differently after export from SU8

Postby yannic » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:57 am

yannic Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:57 am
Thank you very much for you fast response. I think I haven't described my problem correctly, I am sorry. My problem is similar to that in the thread "Viewport manipulating problem". In SU I can adjust my camera smoothly with the left-mouse-button as I need it. This also works the octane-demos.

But when I export my SU-scene into Octane and want to adjust the camera position with the left-mouse-button my scene moves very "wildly" and sometimes even so fast, that I don't have any chance to adjust my view like I can do it in SU/Demos.

I hope my description of my problem is better now.

Thanks a lot in advance,

yannic
yannic
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TIG » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:40 am

TIG Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:40 am
A few things for you to answer...

Do you have your obj import units set to 'meters' in the OCS's settings? ['meters' is used in the export]
Are you modeling 'full size'? so that 1m in the SKP is 1m in the real world... [modeling 'scaled' might affect the OCS'scamera controls]
Do you have your SKP origin somewhere near to the center of the exported geometry? [i.e. the real origin and not an adjusted set of axes - right-click over an axis and 'rest axes' if not]
Is there something far far away from the origin that's then getting exported? [imported CAD files are particularly bad at this] - a small stray face or component a mile away will obviously set things 'off-balance'...

There are no camera orbiting problems with OBJ files exported from a SKP that's been set up sensibly, and an OCS with setting that are also correct - so it's suggesting that there's something adrift somewhere.
If you make a simple box in a new SKP file and try exporting that... you should NOT get these errors...
If you do, then it suggests some strangeness in your OCS settings - could you take screen-shots of the OCS's settings dialog's pages and post them ?
TIG
TIG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby yannic » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:13 am

yannic Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:13 am
Hi Tig,

thank you for your advice. I have checked all your points. In my opinion the camera movement in Octane still behaves strange.

I include the skp, ocs and some screenshots in the attached zip-file. May be you could have a look and check whether you get the same results as I do. It would be a big favour!

Thank you in advance,

yannic
Attachments
99 Octane.zip
(167.18 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
yannic
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Objects/Camera moves quite differently after export from SU8

Postby Jaberwocky » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:22 am

Jaberwocky Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:22 am
yannic wrote:Thank you very much for you fast response. I think I haven't described my problem correctly, I am sorry. My problem is similar to that in the thread "Viewport manipulating problem". In SU I can adjust my camera smoothly with the left-mouse-button as I need it. This also works the octane-demos.

But when I export my SU-scene into Octane and want to adjust the camera position with the left-mouse-button my scene moves very "wildly" and sometimes even so fast, that I don't have any chance to adjust my view like I can do it in SU/Demos.

I hope my description of my problem is better now.

Thanks a lot in advance,

yannic

You need to use the Camera Viewpoint centering tool on the tool bar.Use this to click on a point in your scene where you want the camera to centre upon.The Camera will then re centre itself so its viewpoint will swivel around the point you just clicked in the scene.If it is not quite right first time then use it and zoom in to that point then repeat again from that point in the scene until you can pick out the swivel point around which you want the camera to point to.

See the attached screen grab of an empty room as an example.On first import my camera in this scene ended up outside the room.Firstly i used the tool to centre the camera on the outside walls of the room.Then i used the mouse scroll wheel to zoom in through the walls of the room.Then i used the tool to pick out a point in the centre of the floor of the room around which the viewpoint could swivel.

You can walk your camera through a multi room model this way using the picking tool and the zoom wheel of the mouse.
Attachments
Camera View point centering.jpg
Jaberwocky
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Jaberwocky » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:53 am

Jaberwocky Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:53 am
Yannic

please see attached.Used the picker tool to centre your object.
Attachments
Test -reset.zip
(167.32 KiB) Downloaded 251 times
Jaberwocky
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby yannic » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:20 pm

yannic Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:20 pm
Hi Jaberwocky,

I have tried your test-scene and did some tries with my scene also. Now I understand what was wrong! It is not very easy for me to find the right point to click to get my camera moved as in your scene. BUT it is a giant step better than before. Now I can work with it! Thank you so much! Also many thanks to Tig as well.

By the way, may I ask you another question: I wonder why your example-room is "visible" inside although there is no light. I have tried a similar test-room-scene yesterday and recognized that behavior also although I did not have windows in my room. In other renderers it would be dark.

yannic
yannic
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to SketchUp