Octane Sketchup Exporter - 1024-02

Forums: Octane Sketchup Exporter - 1024-02
SketchUp Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Octane Sketchup Exporter - 1024-02

Postby TIG » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:15 am

TIG Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:15 am
Here's an updated of the new exporter - 1024-02
Octane_1024-02.zip
(514.39 KiB) Downloaded 473 times

Please read the installation/use instructions in the enclosed README and/or Help PDF file.
The files/subfolders must be extracted from the zip file into appropriate locations...

This update fixes a glitch with 'smoothed surfaces' export when using the default Octane import settings.
This had worked with the previous exporter, but was broken in the first version of the newer one by some recoding that had been done to address another issue :roll:
Anyway, it's now resolved, and this version should now restore the 'functionality' of the earlier one...

Feedback please.......
TIG
TIG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Octane Sketchup Exporter - 1024-02

Postby suhail_spa » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:22 am

suhail_spa Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:22 am
many thanks!!! :)
will test out and post feedback..
cheers!
DELL Precision M4500 Laptop (win7 -64bit, Intel core i5 M520 2.4Ghz, 4Gb, Quadro FX880 1Gb, PCI express slot)
with GTX 460 -2GB (running on home-made GPU-expander)
suhail_spa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby pjalbert » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:04 pm

pjalbert Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:04 pm
:D Yesss. TIG thank you very much. Just tried it and smoothing works ! :D
pjalbert
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby redmotion » Wed May 04, 2011 10:13 am

redmotion Wed May 04, 2011 10:13 am
Hi TIG.
Thanks for the great exporter.

Ok, I've run into an issue (now solved - see below) where the obj export is taking forever. I've been checking the obj size in explorer and at about 11-12mb it slows to a crawl (approx 500-1000kb increase in around 10mins).

EDIT: SOLVED: I believe this issue is caused by having sketchup's outliner open and expanded.

FEATURE REQUEST:
Also, could ask for an additional feature? Could you add an "export camera only" and "export sunlight only" options? As an .OCM (node) file? That way I can import several camera views/sun angles into octane and switch between them within the same model (so I only need to export the .obj once?)

Thanks again.
win 7 64 | q6600 | 4gb ram | gtx 260 [196] | driver nvidia 197.13 | SketchUp7 | Softimage 2010
win 7 64 | i5-2500k | 16gb | gtx 570 | driver 275.33 | SketchUp8 Pro
redmotion
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TIG » Wed May 04, 2011 10:22 am

TIG Wed May 04, 2011 10:22 am
redmotion wrote:Hi TIG.
Thanks for the great exporter.

Ok, I've run into an issue (now solved - see below) where the obj export is taking forever. I've been checking the obj size in explorer and at about 11-12mb it slows to a crawl (approx 500-1000kb increase in around 10mins).

EDIT: SOLVED: I believe this issue is caused by having sketchup's outliner open and expanded.

FEATURE REQUEST:
Also, could ask for an additional feature? Could you add an "export camera only" and "export sunlight only" options? As an .OCM (node) file? That way I can import several camera views/sun angles into octane and switch between them within the same model (so I only need to export the .obj once?)

Thanks again.

I recommend that you never have the Outliner open when running scripts - it can even cause a crash with some tools...
I will look at the complexity of making an OCM file for camera and lighting and get back to you...
TIG
TIG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TIG » Wed May 04, 2011 2:38 pm

TIG Wed May 04, 2011 2:38 pm
I have made a first beta of a toolset called 'Octane OCM Export' - see the separate post... this has two possible versions - to export a camera or sun data from the SKP's view or scene as a uniquely named OCM file that you can import into the project's OCS without needing to re-export its geometry etc too...
TIG
TIG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mootoozoo » Thu May 05, 2011 3:50 pm

mootoozoo Thu May 05, 2011 3:50 pm
thanks for the exporter; however I have tried it but found some issue when importing certain images texture. it showed several images as the default material. therefore I could not separate about 4-5 diffrent mapping. I never used ealier version before but compare with obj exporter for the same scene. the obj show no problem.
please guide if I did something wrong.

thanks
mootoozoo
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mootoozoo » Thu May 05, 2011 3:52 pm

mootoozoo Thu May 05, 2011 3:52 pm
forgot to mention that I actually flip all the faces. would the be because of the material name?
mootoozoo
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mootoozoo » Thu May 05, 2011 4:08 pm

mootoozoo Thu May 05, 2011 4:08 pm
ok now I see that i have to explode component/group first. is that the only solutions. thanks!!
mootoozoo
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TIG » Thu May 05, 2011 4:33 pm

TIG Thu May 05, 2011 4:33 pm
mootoozoo wrote:thanks for the exporter; however I have tried it but found some issue when importing certain images texture. it showed several images as the default material. therefore I could not separate about 4-5 diffrent mapping. I never used ealier version before but compare with obj exporter for the same scene. the obj show no problem.
please guide if I did something wrong.
thanks

I don't understand about your 'explode group' comment ?
It is best to apply materials to faces rather than groups or instances... but they should still work if you don't - especially with a plain color - you just have no control over the material's texture mapping when applying it to a 'container' rather than a face.
Is the image inside a group ??
You must model your SKP file so that all of its faces that will 'face the camera' are showing the the face-fronts, and then you apply your materials to then.
You can see the 'correctnes's of your modeling in the SKP by setting to Monochrome mode using a Style where the back-face material is noticeably different in colt than the front-face material.
Any 'back-faces' that look at the camera will always render in the default material because Octane doesn't render 'back-faces'.
If an object has a back and a front then you must model it realistically with a thickness with it's two faces looking outwards so the back-face is never viewed.
I wrote some tools to fix sloppily modeled SKPs with materials applied to the back-face that is itself facing the wrong way...
These are included in the ZIP file and covered in detail in the Help PDF ...
This only works for 'faces'... Monochrome mode won't show which is the back/front of an image. IF you have Images that face the wrong way then you must flip them in the model so that the 'front' faces the camera - alternatively explode the image and then it becomes a face with amaterial and a back/front as any other face... I know that Images show the same picture on both faces, BUT when it gets into Octane it's only going to be shown on the front - the back will be balnk. If you want a 2-sided Image you must either explode the image into a face and make a thin 2-faced rectangle with the material on both front faces or duplicate the actual Image a two things facing out...
TIG
TIG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to SketchUp