Help required with reflections and shadows please.

Forums: Help required with reflections and shadows please.
Blender (Export script developed by yoyoz; Integrated Plugin developed by JimStar)

Help required with reflections and shadows please.

Postby lynchy67 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:56 pm

lynchy67 Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:56 pm
Hi I'm posting this here because I'm not sure if I need to make changes in Blender or Octane to achieve what i'm after.

I'm not in the 3D industry but I'm using Blender and now Octane to create some animations to teach my students electrical theory.

The picture below is a still from an animation I'm creating to demonstrate simple generation of AC and DC output. The green lines between the two poles of the magnet are representing the magnetic field and its direction. Because in the real world we never see the magnetic field I would like to stop these fields showing as reflections/shadows in the magnetic poles or anywhere else. (You can clearly see the reflections in the red north pole).

Any advice on how to achieve this would be greatly received.
I'm not looking for an ultra realistic look at the moment as my skills don't stretch that far. :D

AC_Simple_Gen.png

BTW, I've used the new version of the exporter (V1.09) for the still with Blender 35357. No problems so far. Haven't tried any animations yet but I will later in the week using a copy of the complete project folder, just in case.
Thanks.
lynchy67
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Help required with reflections and shadows please.

Postby yoyoz » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:43 pm

yoyoz Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:43 pm
Hi,

as Octane is an unbiased render engine, it reacts as if everything was real. If you want to have objects that don't cast or receive shadows, you better use the internal blender render.

Cheers,
Yoyoz
Desktop: Ubuntu 13.04 x64 - i7-3770K @ 3.5GHz - 32GB DDR3 - GTX670 2048MB
Laptop: Linux Mint 11 x64 - i7-2860QM @ 2.5GHz - 16GB DDR3 - Quadro 3000M 2GB
Software: NVidia 319.12 - Cuda 4.2.9 - Blender 2.66a
yoyoz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Help required with reflections and shadows please.

Postby lynchy67 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:59 pm

lynchy67 Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:59 pm
Ah. Ok at least I learnt what unbiased means. :)

I'm not that worried about it at the moment.
I could change the poles material so they are not reflective which would remove the obvious reflections.

I know how to do it Blender but getting the same quality in Blender is way beyond my skills at lighting and materials at the moment.
Octane = Instant Gratification. :D

Thanks for the reply and the exporter is superb.
lynchy67
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Blender