New Year's open themed still image competition (CLOSED)

Forums: New Year's open themed still image competition (CLOSED)
A forum which hosts Octane Render Artwork Competitions
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: New Year's open themed still image competition (OPEN)

Postby matej » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:50 am

matej Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:50 am
Ok, I want to be perfectly sure regarding what is allowed to "composite".

Can I render in Octane an image of a scenery (sky, hills & some distant houses) on a plane, that complements my scene and consists of a very small portion of the whole render.

This is the render. The portion outlined in red is a picture on a plane rendered inside Octane, not composited in GIMP. Can I do that, or should I get rid of the background altogether?
stirna.test_K05.jpg
SW: Octane 3.05 | Linux Mint 18.1 64bit | Blender 2.78 HW: EVGA GTX 1070 | i5 2500K | 16GB RAM Drivers: 375.26
cgmo.net
matej
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby radiance » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:11 am

radiance Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:11 am
This is a tricky thing to answer, as I we allow this then we get more questions, eg can the background be rendered with another rendered ?

For the sake of simplicity and let's redefine the rules a bit:

You may composite, only an enrivonment, made with octane itself, as a minor part, eg a sky.
Provided at you explain in detail the process used, and provide a mesh screenshot or similar to show the background sky environment was indeed self made and rendered with octane.
However, during judging, we might give preference to people who do everything in one render, as this requires more skill.

you may not, however composite photos or any work rendered with other tools, this you can only do with uv mapping them onto planes and rendering them with octane, or using HDRI maps off course.

I rest my case, please focus on your creativity instead of more argument :)

Radiance
Win 7 x64 & ubuntu | 2x GTX480 | Quad 2.66GHz | 8GB
radiance

Postby matej » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:22 am

matej Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:22 am
Ok, thanks for your answer. The background on the sample render is an photo uv mapped on a plane and rendered in Octane in one render pass. It's not composited afterwards.
SW: Octane 3.05 | Linux Mint 18.1 64bit | Blender 2.78 HW: EVGA GTX 1070 | i5 2500K | 16GB RAM Drivers: 375.26
cgmo.net
matej
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Update..YES Its Sphere's On Floor ... EVERYONES Favorite

Postby r4ytrace » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:22 am

r4ytrace Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:22 am
p3taoctane wrote:I know everyone will be blown away by my modeling techniques here. Yep! The sphere's on a floor. I'm beside myself with amazement on how I pulled this off... I made a sphere. Then I made a floor. I know, I know, you're asking yourself... " How the hell did he do that?" Sorry its a trade secret. I will tell you after I win for most difficult technical achievement.... I'm thinking ILM job offers and maybe an Oscar or two.

did you use the fractal plugin in Wings3D for the escher looking stuff in the left ball? - I was trying to get that to work but dont have a clue how to do it :(
r4ytrace
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mlody47 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:08 pm

mlody47 Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:08 pm
okichkoatl wrote:hi mlody47 i've seen your galery and i have to say. it's really impresive, sorry for my ignorance, but can you tellme the difference between LDRI and HDRI and how to use one or other?. im really new in Octane,. and i want to use it a lot.

thanks in advance.

Oscar Paz

If You want quality.... always Use HDRI !

I didnt saw any good example of using LDRI .... ....maybe for composition purposes, but I really doubt it. LDRI is acting very uniform and its always washed out and flat,
becouse the difference between LDRI and HDRI, is that HDRI will light your object with a much larger 'range' of light intensities - the effect of which is that your lighting looks much more like real life than when you use a simple ldri bmp/jpg/whatever.

I can PM You a samples if You want.
Its doesnt apply only in Octane , but all 3D renderers. And Thanks ;)
i7 2600K + 2X gtx 580 + GTX 560 Ti + 8gbram + Win7 +
AUTODESK SOFTIMAGE 2012
www.behance.net/mlody47
mlody47
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby DayVids » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:48 am

DayVids Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:48 am
well, shoot, I'll post my last little random creative work in here as well, more chances I suppose.

This is rendered entirely in Octane, with 3 lite panel emitters, a logo icon, and a base emitter under the icon. A single plane with a bump map glossy black surface, and voilla.
Attachments
path test pixel removal.png
alternate smoother version with hotpixel removal applied in octane
VASST-Metal_desktop-2.png
Last edited by DayVids on Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
CPU - i7-950 3.06 Ghz, 24GB Ram, Win7 x64, 2 display monitors, GeForce GTX 580 3GB Classified. I'm glad to say I LOVE OCTANE!
DayVids
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby wiesuell » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:14 am

wiesuell Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:14 am
Hi everyone!

The first image is called "The Last Astronaut", it is the result of an idea I had while listening to a song of the same name. The scene I imagined was one of an alien macro-explorer getting cought in a violent eruption. Wings ruined, he has to engage the emergency thruster for a quick escape. About 2.5 mil polies, a couple of 4K textures. Rendered at A4 300dpi (3508x1989) overnight.

lastAstronaut2.jpg

Capture02.jpg

The screencap is from an older version where the cockpit capsule was still yellowish.

The second picture came about from a looking at a small clay figure a kindergarden kid did. A bit later I was struck with the picture of said figure eating it's way out of a chocolate egg (a very popular brand sweet in Germany and Austria, if anyone recognises them). 1.3 mil polies. Rendered for ~4 hours at 2480x3508 (A4, 300dpi).

theHatching.jpg

Capture01.jpg

Everything except the HDRI backgrounds was made by me. Post production was glow, a lensflare and color correction.

Cheers!
wiesuell
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby andrian » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:56 pm

andrian Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:56 pm
Hi guys, here are my entries for the competition. It will be spited into several parts. 20 is the maximum renders man can upload.
Some of them you can find in WIP section some are done in past days..

PART 1:
____________________________________________________________________________________
FOOD.jpg

Each render done for about 20 minutes on GTX 260.
Slight color correction, composition and the frame made in photoshop. HDRI used for main light.

____________________________________________________________________________________
kitchen.jpg

This one is allready posted in WIP section. Post made is color correction , glow, glare and lens effects.
Here is the link to WIP section: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3433

_____________________________________________________________________________________
cam1.jpg

cam2.jpg

seminight.jpg

seminight2.jpg

Here is the link to the WIP for this one: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4011

______________________________________________________________________________________
This scene is old and it was made for school, I decide to revisit it with Octane render. I might say that the result is way better than before..
cam1.jpg

cam3.jpg

cam4.jpg

carpet shot.jpg

book seat place.jpg

daylight scene.jpg

cam2.jpg

kitchen.jpg

kitchen1.jpg

Render time varied. Most of the renders reached 32000 samples for around 6 hours.. Considering that there is no MLT in Octane and there is so many light sources its really fast.. If I reduce the bounces to 3 or 4 , render times drop to 1 hour without any visual impact.. except for the glass.. Scene contain 5 million polygons. Card used is GTX 480. Post process is for color correction, glare, glow ,bloom and lens flare with Photoshop and After Effect.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
This project can be found into WIP section as well.. This time I remade the lighting and textures for the competition. I hit the limit here with textures count. I had to bake textures into one file for most of the objects..
cam1.jpg

cam1-2.jpg

cam7.jpg

cam8.jpg

cam11.jpg
Vista 64 , 2x Xeon 5440 - 24GB RAM, 1x GTX 260 & I7 3930 water cooled - 32GB RAM, 1 x GTX 480+ 1x8800 GTS 512
CGsociety gallery
My portfolio
My portfolio2 - under construction
Web site
Making of : pool scene - part1
andrian
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby andrian » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:57 pm

andrian Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:57 pm
Part 2:

And here is with daylight, something that I was'n been able to render without heavy fireflies..
cam10 daylight.jpg

Post is made with Lightroom and Photoshop.
__________________________________________________________________________________
Pool scene, especially modeled and rendered for current competition.. For this render I hit 32000 samples for around 5 hours. Fluid simulation done in 3DS MAX using PFlow. There is a lot of baked displacement in the water, walls, and stones and the furnitures. Ready models used is from Evermotion: pot flowers. Palms are made with solid grow and onyx tree. Furnitures comes from Paolo Lenti manufacturer as DWG files.. modeled and textured inside max.Scene is around 5 million polygons.
Film border is from devianart... Post is for color correction, glow, glare, lens effect using Photoshop and After Effect..
Pool scene.jpg

pool scene 2.jpg

pool scene 3.jpg

screen.jpg

__________________________________________________________________________________
Another Interior scene lit entirely with lights, no daylights used. Scene is 3 million polygons, render time for each view was 5 hours and reached 20000 samples.
Some of the models used comes from Evermotion, some are free from the web, some comes directly from manufacturers.
Post process again for color correction, glow, glare, lens flare using Photoshop and After Effect..
cam1 new interior.jpg

cam2 new interior.jpg

cam3 new interior.jpg

screen1.jpg

Thanks for watching. Good luck to all.

Here is the screenshots from scenes in part1:
screen food.jpg

screen.jpg
Last edited by andrian on Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:18 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Vista 64 , 2x Xeon 5440 - 24GB RAM, 1x GTX 260 & I7 3930 water cooled - 32GB RAM, 1 x GTX 480+ 1x8800 GTS 512
CGsociety gallery
My portfolio
My portfolio2 - under construction
Web site
Making of : pool scene - part1
andrian
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby r4ytrace » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:07 pm

r4ytrace Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:07 pm
really really nice - and yet again - god I'd love to live in those renders :)
r4ytrace
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Competitions