New Year's open themed still image competition (CLOSED)

Forums: New Year's open themed still image competition (CLOSED)
A forum which hosts Octane Render Artwork Competitions
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: New Year's open themed still image competition (OPEN)

Postby marco diulgheroff » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:38 am

marco diulgheroff Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:38 am
@ kubo

kubo wrote:... At first when I put it as env.texture I thought It would look more or less like the composed one using the alpha background, but I was totally shocked to see how much it added to the scene, not only in reflections but in general mood and ambient light. What I mean is that with other render engines I've worked before using a jpg was mostly to get some reflection enviroment and usually didn't add much to the light mood, but here even thou it wasn't HDRI it did add up and gave a warmer feeling to the scene that without it. Dunno, it might just be me (or my hugemongus ignorance) but I was happily surprised 'cause I thought that without an HDRI, texture enviroment was useless for my general purposes. Just for that, and the extra tricks I learned to do my two scenes (the third is in the oven althou I might not make the deadline) the whole contest was worth it.... :oops:
I totally agree, it's been the same for me!
kubo wrote:.. well, also I want to get one of those jackets, but heck, it a pretty cold winter here :lol:
I think you should get one (jacket), but which has been this winter's lowest temperature there in Madrid?!?! :D
marco diulgheroff
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Jaberwocky » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:12 am

Jaberwocky Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:12 am
I'm back

Looks like lobbing in the grenade on the subject of composition promoted a few pages of discussion.

Oh well at least we have the answer.

so it back to the drawing board for a solution to my problem.

Oh yes.On the subject of motion blur in your renders.

Another legit way of doing this in Octane would be to put 6-8 repeat models of what your trying to blur in your 3d package at slightly different x/y/z coordinates and rendering out in Octane with the 6-8 models at around 10% opacity. In the Case of the propeler mentioned.10 models rotated slightly and the lowered to 5 -10% opacity might do it.You may need to play with this idea though.

Just a thought.

Hopefully i should make the 7th Deadline (work permitting)
CPU:-AMD 1055T 6 core, Motherboard:-Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 AM3+, Gigabyte GTX 460-1GB, RAM:-8GB Kingston hyper X Genesis DDR3 1600Mhz D/Ch, Hard Disk:-500GB samsung F3 , OS:-Win7 64bit
Jaberwocky
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby danilius » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:06 pm

danilius Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:06 pm
This is one of the entries I was going to submit, but as you can see it suffers quite badly from fireflies, even after hotpixel removal (which, by the way, is rather confusingly labeled as 0 being full strength and 1 being off).

Wasn't 2.4 supposed to implement a new MLT-style algorithm to deal with this, or did I misunderstand something? Should I avoid using daylight in this sort of scene and place blackbody emitters at the window instead? I have quite a bit work with challenging lighting like this but sadly lack sufficient knowledge of dealing with Octane's quirks. All advice/help/criticisms and free beers gratefully accepted.
Attachments
coffee_time r2 hotpixel removal.png
hotpixel slider over to zero
coffee_time r2.png
1600 x 1200, approx 10,000 passes over 15.5 hours, GTX 460 2GB, used 425MB
Ubuntu 11.04, Q6600 2.4GHz 4-core, 4GB RAM, 8800GT & GTX 460 2GB, Blender 2.59, Octane 2.51
danilius
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Update..YES Its Sphere's On Floor ... EVERYONES Favorite

Postby p3taoctane » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:24 pm

p3taoctane Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:24 pm
I know everyone will be blown away by my modeling techniques here. Yep! The sphere's on a floor. I'm beside myself with amazement on how I pulled this off... I made a sphere. Then I made a floor. I know, I know, you're asking yourself... " How the hell did he do that?" Sorry its a trade secret. I will tell you after I win for most difficult technical achievement.... I'm thinking ILM job offers and maybe an Oscar or two.
Attachments
DragonFlyonBallsFinal_JPG.jpg
DragonFly_OC_Screen_Update.jpg
Windows 7 Pro_SP 1_64 bit_48 GB Ram_Intel Xeon X5660 2.80 GHZ x2_6 580GTX_1 Quadra 4800
p3taoctane
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

DRAGON HUNTING

Postby areafilm » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:01 pm

areafilm Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:01 pm
My last entry for this competition... title "DRAGON HUNTING" :P
3DCoat, Zbrush, Quidam (for the creatures) Vue (for the backplate), C4D, Bodypaint and dulcis in fundo.. Octane Render
I have used Direct Lighting mode and 6000max samples with an Hdri map.
The render system is a I7 with a GTX460 2GB kindly lent to me by my boss in the studio where I work..because It was impossible with my GTX 8600 render this scene..
You have a nice day..
Michele Saporito
Attachments
3Dcoat3.jpg
Zbrush Dragon 2.jpg
Zbrush Dragon 1.jpg
DRAGON_HUNTING3.jpg
DRAGON_HUNTING2.jpg
DRAGON_HUNTING.jpg
Octane_Rendering2.jpg
DRAGON_HEART_2.jpg
DRAGON_HEART_1.jpg
1Octane_Rendering.jpg
Last edited by areafilm on Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:42 pm, edited 7 times in total.
areafilm
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ROUBAL » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:09 pm

ROUBAL Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:09 pm
Another legit way of doing this in Octane would be to put 6-8 repeat models of what your trying to blur in your 3d package at slightly different x/y/z coordinates and rendering out in Octane with the 6-8 models at around 10% opacity. In the Case of the propeler mentioned.10 models rotated slightly and the lowered to 5 -10% opacity might do it.You may need to play with this idea though.

@Jaberwocky : I confirm that it works. I used this method in Blender in the past for an helicopter rotor, when there was not yet the Vector Blur node, to avoid using the regular motion blur that requires to render N frames and gives not much better result for a longer computation.

@p3taoctane : nice Dragonfly on glass. Nice color effects !

I have updated some images on that page :

http://www.refractivesoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4701&start=330

I have prepared several new scenes and updated some others, and I hope that I will be able to finish and render them, but I'm sick because of a big lack of sleep accumulated for weeks... :roll:
French Blender user - CPU : intel Quad QX9650 at 3GHz - 8GB of RAM - Windows 7 Pro 64 bits. Display GPU : GeForce GTX 480 (2 Samsung 2443BW-1920x1600 monitors). External GPUs : two EVGA GTX 580 3GB in a Cubix GPU-Xpander Pro 2. NVidia Driver : 368.22.
ROUBAL
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby okichkoatl » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:52 am

okichkoatl Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:52 am
hi mlody47 i've seen your galery and i have to say. it's really impresive, sorry for my ignorance, but can you tellme the difference between LDRI and HDRI and how to use one or other?. im really new in Octane,. and i want to use it a lot.

thanks in advance.

Oscar Paz
okichkoatl
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

At The Plaza

Postby Morat » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:21 am

Morat Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:21 am
Hi. 'At The Plaza' (my third and final entry) uses the new alpha shadows capability to add visual interest to a very simple scene.

The scene has only 630 triangles and is sunlit through an alpha texture. The trees were rendered in Vue 7 and were reused in my gallery entry (on the lampshade and the panoramic canvas in the distance). The plaza's pavers texture is from v-ray materials and the benches and sculpture are textured with a marble generator.

Pathtraced, roughly 9,500 samples in 90 minutes on a GTX 460 1gb.
Attachments
Plaza Octane.jpg
At The Plaza.png
Last edited by Morat on Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX260 1gb | Q6600 @ Stock Speeds | 8GB
Morat
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Elvissuperstar007 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:44 am

Elvissuperstar007 Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:44 am
29000 samples
Attachments
3 abybi.png
win 7 /64x C2Quad 6600 2.4/ Nvidia 9800 GX2 1gb 512 bit + Asus 480 GTX/ DDR2 8Gb / NVIDIA 460 GTX 2GB/2x NVIDIA 580 GTX 3GB
Page octane render " В Контакте " http://vkontakte.ru/club17913093
Elvissuperstar007
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby radiance » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:28 am

radiance Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:28 am
Hi all,

I wanted to supply some answers to the competition prolonguement and composition discussions.

we have to prolong the competition to give everyone a change to use 2.4.
If this bothers you, please have a bit of sport and use the extra time to enhance your entry or entries, or create additional ones. We did not plan to do this in advance, we have had a lot of work fixing issues and the mac and Linux builds have already been released with much delay. In the end we had to make a choice and we chose to prolong. There you go, maybe try to use the time creatively instead of complaining. Remember that submitting 2 entries gives you double the chance of having at least one winning entry.

Regarding compositing, we have to draw the line somewhere. Sure, you can composite a background sky with clouds onto of a few buildings, but then again if we allow this, you can render a chair and composite it into a photo of your living room, leading to much more discussion about what is possible and what not.
This is a render competition, the point is to produce an image with octane for submission, not to use octane as a part of a complete vfx pipeline.
Post processing is allowed for noise reduction, filters and simple things like adding motion blur effects.
If we allow adding non rendered content directly in submissions, it becomes difficult to draw the line as how far people can go and much more discussion will arise.
It is a competition, it's not meant to be easy, if you want a nice cloudy sky, find a good HDRI map :)

Radiance

PS: sorry for typos I'm on my iPad.
Win 7 x64 & ubuntu | 2x GTX480 | Quad 2.66GHz | 8GB
radiance

PreviousNext

Return to Competitions