New Year's open themed still image competition (CLOSED)

Forums: New Year's open themed still image competition (CLOSED)
A forum which hosts Octane Render Artwork Competitions
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: New Year's open themed still image competition (OPEN)

Postby Jaberwocky » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:56 pm

Jaberwocky Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:56 pm
matej wrote:So, what about compositing a background for your render. Is this allowed? If it is allowed (and some people did it), then why we shouldn't be able to composite parts of renders, that are raw Octane renders by themselves? (what Jaberwocky is asking).

This competition is without a proper moderator (Trinity was disconnected from the Matrix, I assume?) - which is the main cause for misunderstandings.

Actually i think she was assimilated at Wolf 359 :lol:
CPU:-AMD 1055T 6 core, Motherboard:-Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 AM3+, Gigabyte GTX 460-1GB, RAM:-8GB Kingston hyper X Genesis DDR3 1600Mhz D/Ch, Hard Disk:-500GB samsung F3 , OS:-Win7 64bit
Jaberwocky
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ROUBAL » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:11 pm

ROUBAL Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:11 pm
Rules are rules :

Postproduction is allowed only:

. To fix lighting issues and fireflies.
. To add glare and bloom.
. To add chromatic aberration.
. For noise reduction if needed.

You cannot add any other image part in post-production

This last sentence of the rules is clear : even if now Octane includes export of images with transparent background, adding a background in post-production is not allowed !
French Blender user - CPU : intel Quad QX9650 at 3GHz - 8GB of RAM - Windows 7 Pro 64 bits. Display GPU : GeForce GTX 480 (2 Samsung 2443BW-1920x1600 monitors). External GPUs : two EVGA GTX 580 3GB in a Cubix GPU-Xpander Pro 2. NVidia Driver : 368.22.
ROUBAL
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mlody47 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:13 pm

mlody47 Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:13 pm
matej wrote:So, what about compositing a background for your render. Is this allowed? If it is allowed (and some people did it), then why we shouldn't be able to composite parts of renders, that are raw Octane renders by themselves? (what Jaberwocky is asking).

This competition is without a proper moderator (Trinity was disconnected from the Matrix, I assume?) - which is the main cause for misunderstandings.

It is man!! Its a technique from like 2 competitions past. You can render alpha with Your main 3d package.

In rules it was... ...puting a background image.
i7 2600K + 2X gtx 580 + GTX 560 Ti + 8gbram + Win7 +
AUTODESK SOFTIMAGE 2012
www.behance.net/mlody47
mlody47
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby dave62 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:15 pm

dave62 Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:15 pm
mlody47 wrote:
matej wrote:......I really dont care about Linux, becouse im not using it. What then?? I should search all the topics of MAC now ?? to see there will be more post pone??

( I personally didnt know that, point me 10 people who knew that week ago )

as a linux user->just able to use 2.3v5 there were a lot of disadvantages-> a lot of materials where mixed up after closing and reloading (you got to doit in one shot, no more rexport..), only able to use 70% of vram,... dont ask me how much time i spent to hustle with 2.3 and its bugs in this challange. you better feel happy that you got advantages due to more experience with the 2.4 win version->big user base-> good bug fixes due feedback. if linux is really released at wednesday all os related bugs are hard to remove till the deadline...
The reason why the competition was prelonged was 2.4release, so this new extension is abslout fair. or do you like to work with the previous version in next comp?
sorry to say this, but please stop that way of crying its just a competition so just use the time to impove your submissions:)

good luck everyone!
- Mint 10 64bit nvidia drv 260.19.29/cudatoolkit3.0 intel q6600, 4gbRAM, GTX470 1,2GB
- Mint 10 64bit/ Win7 64bit nvidia drv 260.19.29/cudatoolkit3.2 amd X6, 16gbRAM, 2x GTX580 3GB
->Octane 2.44/ Blender2.5x
dave62
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rman1974 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:21 pm

rman1974 Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:21 pm
mlody47 wrote: I didnt saw ANY ENTRY WITH ALPHA SHADOWS. so again... whats the point.... ...and if someone tells me about alpha channel... ...Ill reply that he could make it in his main 3d package... ...like oldschool alpha for octane...

About those mysterious linux users who are awaiting new version.
One of my entries was completely ready at 15th of January. I rendered it with 2.3 v5. And release of 2.4 doesn't change anything at all. Of course after prolonging competition I re-rendered it in 2.4 and got same time and same quality - coz there isn't major engine changes. After 15th of January I decided to do second entry - becouse first one was _completely_ finished - I couldn't add anything to it. And if I rendered my second entry in old 2.3v5 version it would be exactly the same as rendered in 2.4. I'm really happy with new 2.4 release but it doesn't change anything.
Main point is: if your entry is ready - it's ready NOW. If it isn't ready it's only your fault (bad planning, laziness, you name it) not because 2.4 for linux isn't released yet. So I'm awaiting new entries which are obviuously needed in alpha channel and some compositing.
rman1974
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby matej » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:23 pm

matej Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:23 pm
ROUBAL wrote:Rules are rules :

This last sentence of the rules is clear : even if now Octane includes export of images with transparent background, adding a background in post-production is not allowed !

I see that people are not aware of that, because if you browse back through the thread, you'll see that atleast 1/3 of renders contain background images - and will be disqualified, according to that rule. I don't see the point in this limitation (you wont see such limitations in other competitions, especially not in archiviz), but ok, let's say it's valid.

But the rule states other image - so, I think that Jaberwocky should be allowed to do what he is asking (I, myself composited together two raw Octane renders for my Buddha scene).
SW: Octane 3.05 | Linux Mint 18.1 64bit | Blender 2.78 HW: EVGA GTX 1070 | i5 2500K | 16GB RAM Drivers: 375.26
cgmo.net
matej
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mlody47 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:23 pm

mlody47 Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:23 pm
Jaberwocky wrote:I would have thought that given another week would have pleased everyone,giving them the extra time to perfect their renders,add extra details to the models etc.

A) To those who are moaning that they did not have notification of the extra time.Yes i saw it as soon as Radiance posted it a while back because of the dificulty getting the Linux build out.

B) Linux people should have the same opertunity to play with the new build as much as Apple or Windows users.(For information i am a windows user).

C) This competition is supposed to be a bit of fun.Some people are taking it far to seriously....get a life. :shock:

I dont care if You saw it or not... You re not alone here ...its not in this thread..

and YES all the challenges im taking seriously... ...its building up my skills. And YES its my life , I work as 3d artist, so the competitions are the best challenges and motivations, and the best way to improve your skills... ...like time estimations. And its oportunity to win stuff like GPUs which will make my or Your horizons wider... ...and works better.

It's not fun after 2 postponing man!! Learn to estimate and You will know what I mean
AUTODESK SOFTIMAGE 2012
www.behance.net/mlody47
mlody47
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Jaberwocky » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:27 pm

Jaberwocky Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:27 pm
rman1974 wrote:
mlody47 wrote: I didnt saw ANY ENTRY WITH ALPHA SHADOWS. so again... whats the point.... ...and if someone tells me about alpha channel... ...Ill reply that he could make it in his main 3d package... ...like oldschool alpha for octane...

One of my entries was completely ready at 15th of January. I rendered it with 2.3 v5. And release of 2.4 doesn't change anything at all. Of course after prolonging competition I re-rendered it in 2.4 and got same time and same quality - coz there isn't major engine changes. After 15th of January I decided to do second entry - becouse first one was _completely_ finished - I couldn't add anything to it. And if I rendered my second entry in old 2.3v5 version it would be exactly the same as rendered in 2.4. I'm really happy with new 2.4 release but it doesn't change anything.
Main point is: if your entry is ready - it's ready NOW. If it isn't ready it's only your fault (bad planning, laziness, you name it) not because 2.4 for linux isn't released yet. So I'm awaiting new entries which are obviuously needed in alpha channel and some compositing .

yep and i'm one of those with alpha chaneling and compositing needs ! ;)
CPU:-AMD 1055T 6 core, Motherboard:-Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 AM3+, Gigabyte GTX 460-1GB, RAM:-8GB Kingston hyper X Genesis DDR3 1600Mhz D/Ch, Hard Disk:-500GB samsung F3 , OS:-Win7 64bit
Jaberwocky
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mlody47 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:27 pm

mlody47 Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:27 pm
matej wrote:
ROUBAL wrote:Rules are rules :

I see that people are not aware of that, because if you browse back through the thread, you'll see that atleast 1/3 of renders contain background images - and will be disqualified, according to that rule. I don't see the point in this limitation (you wont see such limitations in other competitions, especially not in archiviz), but ok, let's say it's valid.

But the rule states other image - so, I think that Jaberwocky should be allowed to do what he is asking (I, myself composited together two raw Octane renders for my Buddha scene).

background image - NOT 4 backgrounds.... ....so dont change the rules when its already after competition...
Last edited by mlody47 on Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AUTODESK SOFTIMAGE 2012
www.behance.net/mlody47
mlody47
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mlody47 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:29 pm

mlody47 Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:29 pm
rman1974 wrote:

Main point is: if your entry is ready - it's ready NOW. If it isn't ready it's only your fault (bad planning, laziness, you name it) not because 2.4 for linux isn't released yet. So I'm awaiting new entries which are obviuously needed in alpha channel and some compositing.

Your telling same thing as me, but in very much pleased way than I am :) so You talk ill shut up :)

+1
AUTODESK SOFTIMAGE 2012
www.behance.net/mlody47
mlody47
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Competitions