Blender Texture Mappings

Forums: Blender Texture Mappings
Blender (Export script developed by yoyoz; Integrated Plugin developed by JimStar)

Blender Texture Mappings

Postby ockelford » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:29 pm

ockelford Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:29 pm
I was wondering about how octane's texture scale/rotation/positioning relates to blender's mapping, particularly where I use 'Cube' mapping co-ordinates (which place textures according to the X-Y-Z co-ordinates) so I rendered out some tests. (BTW I use 'cube' to map the texture co-ordinates for stone walls)

I was pleased to discover that while I knew that Octane relies on there being a UV map in order to place the 2d texture, there is a way to generate a UV map which places the texture in the right orientation and scale. My method is as follows

1)In blender, after finishing the modelling of the mesh making up the walls, I go into edit mode (Tab) and select all vertices.
2) Press U to give unwrap options.
3)Select 'Cube Projection'.
4)Go into object mode.
5)Render via the export script

And voila! The bricks are in the right place at the right size aligned as they would be in blender.

I attach a VERY rough test to illustrate a stone texture.

BTW, if a developer reads this, a facility to locate the centre point of a texture, with its real-life size and 3d alignment would be fantastic... Otherwise how do you scale/locate things like ceiling tiles accurately? Perhaps if this could be mapped from an empty in blender????

Thanks for reading!

Rob
Attachments
test1.jpg
Octane 2.58e | Win 7 64 bit | Blender 2.63a
Palit GTX 460 2GB Sonic | Intel Core i7 950 @3.06GHz | 12GB RAM
ockelford
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Blender Texture Mappings

Postby face » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:14 pm

face Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:14 pm
I think all operations on UV´s in Octane, scale only currently, use the 0,0 coordinate as origin/centerpoint.
Some apps use 0.5/0.5 as center or you can specify it, thats the difference...

face
Win10 Pro, Driver 378.78, Softimage 2015SP2 & Octane 3.05 RC1,
64GB Ram, i7-6950X, GTX1080TI 11GB
http://vimeo.com/user2509578
face
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: Blender Texture Mappings

Postby orion_uk » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:09 pm

orion_uk Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:09 pm
ockelford wrote:I was wondering about how octane's texture scale/rotation/positioning relates to blender's mapping, particularly where I use 'Cube' mapping co-ordinates (which place textures according to the X-Y-Z co-ordinates) so I rendered out some tests. (BTW I use 'cube' to map the texture co-ordinates for stone walls)

I was pleased to discover that while I knew that Octane relies on there being a UV map in order to place the 2d texture, there is a way to generate a UV map which places the texture in the right orientation and scale. My method is as follows

1)In blender, after finishing the modelling of the mesh making up the walls, I go into edit mode (Tab) and select all vertices.
2) Press U to give unwrap options.
3)Select 'Cube Projection'.
4)Go into object mode.
5)Render via the export script

And voila! The bricks are in the right place at the right size aligned as they would be in blender.

I attach a VERY rough test to illustrate a stone texture.

BTW, if a developer reads this, a facility to locate the centre point of a texture, with its real-life size and 3d alignment would be fantastic... Otherwise how do you scale/locate things like ceiling tiles accurately? Perhaps if this could be mapped from an empty in blender????

Thanks for reading!

Rob

V-Helpful, thank you from a new guy in town :)
http://www.Neil-Isted.com
Intel i7 870/2.93 GHz
RAM 16GB
1x Titan (6GB)
2x GTX 660Ti 2GB
Win10 Pro 64-bit
Carrara 8.5 Pro
Carrara - OR4C
OctaneRender™ for Blender
Ds pro
OR Standalone V4
Poser Plugin