OctaneRender 2020.2 for Houdini Production build 2020.2.1.2

Forums: OctaneRender 2020.2 for Houdini Production build 2020.2.1.2
Sub forum for plugin releases

Moderator: juanjgon

OctaneRender 2020.2 for Houdini Production build 2020.2.1.2

Postby juanjgon » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:33 pm

juanjgon Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:33 pm
Hi,

This is a production release of the OctaneRender™ 2020.2 for Houdini™ plugin compiled with the Octane 2020.2.1 core. This 2020.2.1.2 release is available for the latest Houdini 17.5/18.0/18.5 production builds on Windows x64, Linux gcc6.3.1 and MacOS 10.12 (CUDA).

Make sure to use an NVIDIA Studio driver with version at least 456.38 on Windows or 455.23 on Linux to use this version. No driver updates are required for macOS 10.13 (CUDA).

New features
To learn more about the new features and improvements of OctaneRender 2020.2, please check out the 2020.2 release post, but this is a brief list of the main new features that have been added.

• Improved RTX performance.
  • Fast Spectral Nested Dielectrics.
  • Denoiser support for the new NVIDIA Ampere devices.
  • ACEScg and filmic processing. New color options available in the Octane ROP node.
  • OpenColorIO Management, Display and Export (OCIO profile). Configured from the "OCIO" environment variable.
  • OpenColorIOColor graph nodes. Look, Profile and View nodes
  • Integrated multi-scatter from volumes or surfaces. Available in the Octane OBJ spare parameters.
  • User generated compositor AOV passes for combining render and light passes in full a compositor node graph.
  • Null material.
  • Spotlight texture.
  • New ray type, texture composite and channel tools shader nodes.
  • Improved color correction node.
  • New chaos texture node.

Release 2020.2.1.2 Enterprise subscription license
https://render.otoy.com/customerdownloa ... rprise.zip

Release 2020.2.1.2 Studio subscription license
https://render.otoy.com/customerdownloa ... studio.zip

Release 2020.2.1.2 Demo license
https://render.otoy.com/plugindownloads ... 4_demo.zip
https://render.otoy.com/plugindownloads ... x_demo.zip
https://render.otoy.com/plugindownloads ... X_demo.zip

Standalone 2020.2.1 version for the network rendering nodes
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=77111

Release Notes
=============================================
RELEASE 2020.2.1.2

* PLUGIN FEATURES AND FIXES:

- Fixed a bug in the gradient node.
- Fixed a bug in the Octane VOP node names after creating the first one.

RELEASE 2020.2.1.1

* PLUGIN FEATURES AND FIXES:

- Added H18.5.499 plugin build.
- Fixed a problem in the PDG ropfetch node while working with the Octane ROP.
- Addressed several issues related to the color settings while rendering to IPR, MPlay or file.
- Fixed the "Show Denoise" feature in the OpenGL IPR window.

* OCTANE 2020.2.1 FEATURES AND BUGS FIXED:
- Added option to automatically select the OCIO intermediate color space to the application preferences. This is enabled by default, but can be disabled to allow manually setting these.
- Brought back the dialog that allows retrying activation when the connection with OctaneLive has failed.
- Fixed bug causing moving instances to disappear when subframe start would be set to 100% in the animation settings.
- Fixed crash when an OSL shader has two outputs.
- Fixed crash when an OSL shader has a struct as input parameter.
- Fixed render failure when rendering a preview of a toon material.
- Fixed render failure when texture displacement is used on a mesh with no UV coordinates and RTX is enabled.
- Fixed AI denoiser on macOS by updating cuDNN to version 7.6.5.
- Fixed volumetric spot light cutting out geometry with a material priority less than 0. This is because the volumetric spot light had a default priority of 0, so if the user tries to set the scene geometry with less than 0 priority, they will be cut out.
- Fixed rendering of fake shadows of nested dielectrics that have SSS.
- Fixed missing attenuation if a toon material is indirectly visible, e.g. behind some tinted glass.
- Fixed material opacity not using the correct opacity when using mix material inside a layered material node.
- Fixed incorrect reset of material layers if a mix material gets changed and is used inside a layered material node.
- Fixed incorrect rendering of Vectron nodes with object layer / material map nodes if connected to an OSL texture with an _sdf input.

Happy rendering,
Your OTOY Team
Last edited by juanjgon on Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: OctaneRender 2020.2 for Houdini Production build 2020.2.1.1

Postby TheNikand » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:20 am

TheNikand Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:20 am
Found a bug with the gradient tool.
On a pighead I have a material with procedural noise in albedo and a gradient in between.
Happens every scene I use a gradient.

Houdini 18.0.597(Windows)

LOG:
*** OCTANE API MSG: Tried to access null node pin
*** OCTANE API MSG: Can't write float to static pin 'unknown' (P_UNKNOWN, type PT_UNKNOWN) of node '' (NT_UNKNOWN, 00007FFDB40FD950)
*** OCTANE API MSG: Can't write float_3 to static pin 'unknown' (P_UNKNOWN, type PT_UNKNOWN) of node '' (NT_UNKNOWN, 00007FFDB40FD950)
*** OCTANE API MSG: Can't write float to static pin 'unknown' (P_UNKNOWN, type PT_UNKNOWN) of node '' (NT_UNKNOWN, 00007FFDB40FD950)
*** OCTANE API MSG: Can't write float_3 to static pin 'unknown' (P_UNKNOWN, type PT_UNKNOWN) of node '' (NT_UNKNOWN, 00007FFDB40FD950)
TheNikand
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby trogers » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:04 pm

trogers Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:04 pm
I'm getting the same thing. It would be awesome if the path to the node could be displayed in the console to make it easier to fix. Am I assuming correctly that this is due to updates of specific nodes which break compatibility with files created using the previous version of the plugin?

*** OCTANE API MSG: Can't write float to static pin 'unknown' (P_UNKNOWN, type PT_UNKNOWN) of node '' (NT_UNKNOWN, 00007FFDAD73D950)
*** OCTANE API MSG: Can't write float_3 to static pin 'unknown' (P_UNKNOWN, type PT_UNKNOWN) of node '' (NT_UNKNOWN, 00007FFDAD73D950)
*** OCTANE API MSG: Can't write float to static pin 'unknown' (P_UNKNOWN, type PT_UNKNOWN) of node '' (NT_UNKNOWN, 00007FFDAD73D950)
*** OCTANE API MSG: Can't write float_3 to static pin 'unknown' (P_UNKNOWN, type PT_UNKNOWN) of node '' (NT_UNKNOWN, 00007FFDAD73D950)

Edit: This seems to have been an issue with the gradient node I had connected in my material network. I removed it and the IPR starts up without any console errors.
Win 10 / AMD 3970x / Nvidia 4090 + 2080 Ti / 128GB
trogers
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby trogers » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:37 am

trogers Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:37 am
I'm also noticing a fair amount of CUDA 700 errors. I did a clean uninstall and reinstall of the Nvidia drivers as per this thread (viewtopic.php?f=86&t=70433&start=10)and checked to make sure that my TdrDelay is set to 10 in RegEdit, but it didn't solve the issue. If I move around the frames of the animation while the IPR is active this error shows up every time. A restart of Houdini is required to reset it.

*** OCTANE API MSG: -> failed to deallocate device memory
*** OCTANE API MSG: CUDA error 700 on device 1: an illegal memory access was encountered

On the plus side, I'm noticing that Octane isn't bringing Houdini down with it when it hits a major error like this which would be a major improvement if that issue has been resolved.
Win 10 / AMD 3970x / Nvidia 4090 + 2080 Ti / 128GB
trogers
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:23 pm

juanjgon Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:23 pm
Sorry, I've found the problem with the gradient node. It was related to a change in the Octane core gradient node pin names done without notice. I'll release a new build shortly including this fix.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby juanjgon » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:25 pm

juanjgon Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:25 pm
trogers wrote:I'm also noticing a fair amount of CUDA 700 errors. I did a clean uninstall and reinstall of the Nvidia drivers as per this thread (viewtopic.php?f=86&t=70433&start=10)and checked to make sure that my TdrDelay is set to 10 in RegEdit, but it didn't solve the issue. If I move around the frames of the animation while the IPR is active this error shows up every time. A restart of Houdini is required to reset it.

Sorry, do you have this problem with any scene? It could be great to have a scene to try to reproduce the problem here. If you can send us an example scene with this problem I could take a look at it.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby davidyannick_1 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:32 pm

davidyannick_1 Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:32 pm
trogers wrote:I'm getting the same thing. It would be awesome if the path to the node could be displayed in the console to make it easier to fix. Am I assuming correctly that this is due to updates of specific nodes which break compatibility with files created using the previous version of the plugin?

Edit: This seems to have been an issue with the gradient node I had connected in my material network. I removed it and the IPR starts up without any console errors.

Same issue for me, Im' just back with octane and already disappointed :/
davidyannick_1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby davidyannick_1 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:14 pm

davidyannick_1 Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:14 pm
trogers wrote:I'm also noticing a fair amount of CUDA 700 errors. I did a clean uninstall and reinstall of the Nvidia drivers as per this thread (viewtopic.php?f=86&t=70433&start=10)and checked to make sure that my TdrDelay is set to 10 in RegEdit, but it didn't solve the issue. If I move around the frames of the animation while the IPR is active this error shows up every time. A restart of Houdini is required to reset it.

*** OCTANE API MSG: -> failed to deallocate device memory
*** OCTANE API MSG: CUDA error 700 on device 1: an illegal memory access was encountered

On the plus side, I'm noticing that Octane isn't bringing Houdini down with it when it hits a major error like this which would be a major improvement if that issue has been resolved.

"On the plus side, I'm noticing that Octane isn't bringing Houdini down " yep I've noticed that too
davidyannick_1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TheNikand » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:30 pm

TheNikand Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:30 pm
juanjgon wrote:Sorry, I've found the problem with the gradient node. It was related to a change in the Octane core gradient node pin names done without notice. I'll release a new build shortly including this fix.

Thanks,
-Juanjo

Great! Maybe a solution to avoid something similar in the future could be a simple "material scene" with multiple spheres containing every material, texture and tool supported by Octane. Just a thought.
TheNikand
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: OctaneRender 2020.2 for Houdini Production build 2020.2.1.2

Postby juanjgon » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:29 pm

juanjgon Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:29 pm
I've updated this post replacing the previous build with the new 2020.2.1.2 plugin build, which includes the fix for the gradient and ramp nodes problems.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Next

Return to Releases