NEW: Octane X - is finally here! [MEGA FAQ THREAD]

Forums: NEW: Octane X - is finally here! [MEGA FAQ THREAD]
Sub forum for plugin releases
Forum rules
Any bugs related to this plugin should be reported to the Bug Reports sub-forum.
Bugs related to Octane itself should be posted into the Standalone Support sub-forum.

Re: NEW: Octane X - is finally here! [MEGA FAQ THREAD]

Postby bepeg4d » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:22 am

bepeg4d Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:22 am
Unfortunately the screenshots are not complete... have you disabled also the Tonemap option for the Intel GPU?

ciao Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby atoyuser1 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:55 am

atoyuser1 Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:55 am
bepeg4d wrote:Unfortunately the screenshots are not complete... have you disabled also the Tonemap option for the Intel GPU?

ciao Beppe
My bad. You are correct, I have disabled the tonemap and it seems to work now. Thanks!
Screenshot 2021-01-26 at 08.53.39.png
atoyuser1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Jedi_blade » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:27 pm

Jedi_blade Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:27 pm
I am about to spend another 5k on a PC after shelling out 15k for a mac pro because I cannot GPU render. I do not know if it matters much but this is the error I just got and I had not even touched the scene yet. But that is not the norm, usually I can run Octane X but it is painfully slow on my two Radeon Vega Pro II cards, slower than I have seen it run on the same scene on two 2080tis cards. I have no idea why that would be. But I have realized that for me certain assets seem to crash a lot. Octane X does not update live for me most of the time, if I make any major changes to a scene I have to resend the render to the standalone and that is where most of my crashes come from, although I do get some just doing normal things like adding a floating node or attempting to adjust a UV in the node editor.

If you have Octane X for Catalina do not update to Big Sur, that was when it all changed for me.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 10.07.32 AM.png
Mac Pro (2019)
3.2 GHz 16-Core Intel Xeon W
96 GB 2933 MHz DDR4
Two AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32 GB
After Burner
Jedi_blade
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Weezer » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:08 pm

Weezer Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:08 pm
Thing is, for OTOY to make OctaneX work properly it needed certain things in the drivers in Big Sur. I've been lucky; apart from the denoising issue (which seems like it needs another Big Sur update to fix), OctaneX is running pretty well on my Mac Pro (dual 5700XTs). Not sure why your machine isn't performing – it should be great with Radeon Vega Pro IIs.

Jules Urbach stated that this year they should focus on making Octane stable since it's already quite feature-rich. I really hope they live by that because stability is Octane's major Achille's heel. Hopefully, once OctaneX and Octane CUDA are on the same code base and release version, things will get easier/simpler. Feels like we're almost there....
Weezer
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby RegSquires » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:38 am

RegSquires Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:38 am
I am using the PR6 C4D Plugin Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7 and without fail when I use PT I get a crash. Been using DL and have had little to no crashes. This is incredibly infuriating. I am also using an EGPU with a Radeon WX 9100. I so want to like Octane but it just doesn't seem to like me. The scene renders fine in the live viewer so its only when I go to render it out as a still that the issue happens.
RegSquires
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:54 am

bepeg4d Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:54 am
Hi Jedi_blade,
I need to see some logs.

Please, open the scene, then go to c4doctane Settings/Other tab, and, at the bottom of the panel, enable all the Log option checkboxes.
Then, load the scene in Live View, then in Picture Viewer, or until crash, then reopen c4d, navigate to c4doctane Settings/Other tab, press the Generate log report button, and share the octanelog_report.zip file, thanks.

ciao Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby swim » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:01 pm

swim Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:01 pm
Hi
Any idea on when we can expect a working C4D Plugin for Apple Mac M1 ?
Or any hints for a workaround?
Thanks!
swim

Postby Jedi_blade » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:39 am

Jedi_blade Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:39 am
bepeg4d wrote:Hi Jedi_blade,
I need to see some logs.

Please, open the scene, then go to c4doctane Settings/Other tab, and, at the bottom of the panel, enable all the Log option checkboxes.
Then, load the scene in Live View, then in Picture Viewer, or until crash, then reopen c4d, navigate to c4doctane Settings/Other tab, press the Generate log report button, and share the octanelog_report.zip file, thanks.

ciao Beppe

Sorry I have been trying to build a PC and forgot I left this comment, the other day I was seeing crashes even when the viewport was empty and there was nothing there. I have given up trying to use PR7. I often cannot even load C4D scenes and it has been too much trouble. The School of Motion Class I am in is on Week 5 and I am not even starting Week 2 because of how much this is unstable. So I am saving up for a PC.

It is going to take me a few weeks or more to get the GPUs for the PC I want, so I am hoping maybe PR8 drops before that so I have something to use if it is stable. But other than that this GPU rendering on the Mac Since July has really just made me see no real way Mac and GPU make sense over PC. At least not yet. I have learned that is because this is new tech and I just made the mistake of buying Mac knowing I want to start 3D rendering.
Mac Pro (2019)
3.2 GHz 16-Core Intel Xeon W
96 GB 2933 MHz DDR4
Two AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32 GB
After Burner
Jedi_blade
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Weezer » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:11 pm

Weezer Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:11 pm
Now Big Sur 11.2 is out, is there a PR8 of OctaneX?

Hello? Is this thing on?
Weezer
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Pixege » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:46 pm

Pixege Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:46 pm
They start testing. It's strange that only now. The first beta of macOS 11.2 started two months ago.

o29gzHK.png
MacBook Pro 16" | AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB | 2,3 GHz Intel Core i9 | 64 GB RAM + eGPU Razer Core X | Asus ROG Strix RX 5700 XT OC
Pixege

PreviousNext

Return to Releases