Baking Metallic Map

Forums: Baking Metallic Map
Newtek Lightwave 3D (exporter developed by holocube, Integrated Plugin developed by juanjgon)

Moderator: juanjgon

Baking Metallic Map

Postby 3dreamstudios » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:35 pm

3dreamstudios Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:35 pm
Looking for a way to bake out my textures for use in Unity. I don't see a metallic option under the baking camera. I can get the following....
Diffuse
AO
Roughness

But no Specular or Metallic, that I can see. Hopefully, I'm missing something. Can someone fill me in?
3dreamstudios
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Baking Metallic Map

Postby juanjgon » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:05 am

juanjgon Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:05 am
Baking specular lighting makes no sense, it depends on the camera position, so it must be computed by the engine (Unity) from the material specular parameters or from a specular texture map.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby 3dreamstudios » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:35 pm

3dreamstudios Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:35 pm
juanjgon wrote:Baking specular lighting makes no sense, it depends on the camera position, so it must be computed by the engine (Unity) from the material specular parameters or from a specular texture map.

Thanks,
-Juanjo

Maybe I didn't ask it correctly.. Every PBR texture you'll find out there that has any metallic or specular surface will have a corresponding AMOUNT map. Black to white showing the different amount of specular or metallic.

When you use an atlas map in a game engine you try and combine as many materials into one MAP set. That means you will have some materials/surfaces in this map that are specular/metallic and others that may not be....metal on sword and leather on hangle.

Does that make more sense?
3dreamstudios
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:51 pm

juanjgon Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:51 pm
Hmm, perhaps the problem is that I'm talking about baking the scene lighting, not building pbr texture maps. I suppose that the Octane baking feature is designed to bake the scene diffuse/GI and AO lighting, not to bake texture sets, but I can be wrong. To be honest, I'm not an expert in lighting or texture baking for game engines.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby 3dreamstudios » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:59 pm

3dreamstudios Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:59 pm
juanjgon wrote:Hmm, perhaps the problem is that I'm talking about baking the scene lighting, not building pbr texture maps. I suppose that the Octane baking feature is designed to bake the scene diffuse/GI and AO lighting, not to bake texture sets, but I can be wrong. To be honest, I'm not an expert in lighting or texture baking for game engines.

Thanks,
-Juanjo

Fair enough...nor am I! lol. Just trying to learn how to best take my Octane Assets from LW and get them into Unity for our VR projects. Did not want to have to go into Substance or other packages and re-do every material.... But may have to.

I don't know why the correct layers couldn't be baked out from Octane, it has to know what those are in it's buffers (or whatever) at render time, to render the surface properly.

Is that something you could ask someone at OToy about? I thought I had seen this exact thing in the C4D implementation... But again, I'm not super knowledgable about the workflow.
3dreamstudios
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby vitusfilms » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:48 pm

vitusfilms Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:48 pm
Did you figure out how to bake a metallic map?
vitusfilms
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby omardex » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:17 pm

omardex Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:17 pm
hello, One workaround I've been using is to input the map I want to bake into the diffuse/albedo, and use the diffuse material pass to get such map.

I do this for any map that octane doesn't have a pass or info pass.

I export a lot of client work for sketchfab, and unity, PBR maps are required to get as close as possible from the render that octane provides.

what could be ideal is to have in the new AOV inclusion any material channel as export.

the c4d the plugin offer solo material texture preview for texture isolation this could be expanded as a solution too for map export.

I hope this as workaround works for any of you.
Omar Tavera
Awesome Generalist

omardex.artstation.com

Octane render for c4d but moving more toward standalone with one 980ti
omardex
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby pegot » Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:17 am

pegot Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:17 am
omardex wrote:One workaround I've been using is to input the map I want to bake into the diffuse/albedo, and use the diffuse material pass to get such map.

Can anyone elaborate on this workaround more? I don't understand how ones gets a PBR Metallic map from this technique.

Are there any plans to implement a Metal pass for Octane? I often have to prepare PBR textures of Octane projects for gLTF and going into Substance Painter isn't always an option.
Win 10
3.7Ghz i9 10900k / 64GB
ASUS STRIX Z490-E
PSU: PowerSpec 850Wd
RTX 3090 Asus Tuff

Network rendering:
Win 10
4.2Ghz i7 7700k / 64GB
AsRock SuperCarrier
PSU: EVGA 1200w
RTX 3080 Ti EVGA Hybrid
RTX 3080 ASUS Tuff
GTX 1080ti SC Black (wc)
pegot
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby omardex » Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:19 am

omardex Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:19 am
pegot wrote:
omardex wrote:One workaround I've been using is to input the map I want to bake into the diffuse/albedo, and use the diffuse material pass to get such map.

Can anyone elaborate on this workaround more? I don't understand how ones gets a PBR Metallic map from this technique.

Are there any plans to implement a Metal pass for Octane? I often have to prepare PBR textures of Octane projects for gLTF and going into Substance Painter isn't always an option.

There is a better method now, you can flag your materials as a custom AOV create a custom AOV pass and effectively render a mask for your metallic materials

the mask is basically a metallic map, and you can input it as a texture in the metallic channel

make sure that you have your metallic materials as artistic, when you bake your albedo/diffuse this color is used by your metallic materials to define its properties.
Omar Tavera
Awesome Generalist

omardex.artstation.com

Octane render for c4d but moving more toward standalone with one 980ti
omardex
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Lightwave 3D