Exporting .RVT file to .OCS

Forums: Exporting .RVT file to .OCS
Post, discuss and share handy resources like textures, models and HDRI maps in this forum.
Forum rules
Please do not post any material that is copyrighted or restricted from public use in any way. OTOY NZ LTD and it's forum members are not liable for any copyright infringements on material in this forum. Please contact us if this is the case and we will remove the material in question.

Exporting .RVT file to .OCS

Postby Terry@BGHJ » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:37 pm

Terry@BGHJ Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:37 pm
Hi there

I am so new to octane render that I haven't even been able to open one file as of yet. Is there a way that I can convert my .rvt revit file directly to an .ocs file to use in the demo?

Thank you
Terry@BGHJ

Re: Exporting .RVT file to .OCS

Postby [gk] » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:57 pm

[gk] Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:57 pm
No
However you can write a setup that exports your scene to fbx, converts it to obj and loads. Unless you are a programmer this wont happen.
-mads
Amiga 1000 with 2mb memory card
[gk]
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Terry@BGHJ » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:58 pm

Terry@BGHJ Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:58 pm
I have been able to convert it to an OBJ file, however, octane will not open that either
Terry@BGHJ

Postby [gk] » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:07 pm

[gk] Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:07 pm
Then your obj file has errors.
Amiga 1000 with 2mb memory card
[gk]
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Terry@BGHJ » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:09 pm

Terry@BGHJ Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:09 pm
The demo of Octane doesn't seem to allow opening of any files other than OCS files.
Terry@BGHJ

Postby timbarnes » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:14 pm

timbarnes Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:14 pm
It's possible, but difficult. Here's the only way I've found that works reasonably.

Go to a 3D view in Revit.

Hide any objects that you don't want to render (this will reduce the size of the file and the tediousness of the process).

Export an FBX file.

Open 3dsMax.
Use References / File Link Manager to link your FBX file to your 3ds Max document. Under presets, select "Combine by Revit Material" - this groups objects according to their materials.

Open the material editor, and go through every material in your model, changing them to Standard materials (the exporter doesn't understand Revit's materials). You need to pick "Standard" from the "Standard" category in the Material Map Editor.

Save often! Revit models choke Max.

Once all your materials have been re-mapped, you can use the 3dsMax plugin (available to licensed customers) or you can export a .obj file with materials.

The .obj file should load into Octane, and you will be able to render.

I hope this works for you: I've been trying to figure it out for over a month, and I finally got it working last night.
Mac Pro 3,1 / Lion / 14G RAM / ATI HD 2600 / nVidia GTX 470
i5-750 / Windows 7 Pro 64bit / 8G RAM / Quadro FX 580
Revit 2011, SketchUp 8, Rhino
timbarnes
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Terry@BGHJ » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:41 pm

Terry@BGHJ Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:41 pm
Thank you very much Tim, maybe this isn't the way we want to go? We don't have 3dsmax or any other good rendering program at this time and are just getting into that kind of work. We find that revit is way too slow for rendering and the result isn't that great.. do you have any other suggestions for programs that we could use to render our revit models without having to pay a mint and isn't too user intensive?

thank you
Terry@BGHJ

Postby teecee2107 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:16 am

teecee2107 Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:16 am
Terry@BGHJ wrote:I have been able to convert it to an OBJ file, however, octane will not open that either

Terry@BGHJ wrote:The demo of Octane doesn't seem to allow opening of any files other than OCS files.

Not sure I understand your problem.

You don't have to open your .obj file, you have to 'import' it.

Right click in the graph editor window
choose Add
choose object
choose mesh
select the path/ .obj file

Hope this helps.
Core 2 Quad Q9400 | 8Gb | Zotac 580 GTX 3 Gb | Windows 7 64bits | Octane 1.11 | Nvidia Driver 310.70
teecee2107
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby timbarnes » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:46 am

timbarnes Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:46 am
Terry@BGHJ wrote:Thank you very much Tim, maybe this isn't the way we want to go? We don't have 3dsmax or any other good rendering program at this time and are just getting into that kind of work. We find that revit is way too slow for rendering and the result isn't that great.. do you have any other suggestions for programs that we could use to render our revit models without having to pay a mint and isn't too user intensive?

thank you

We're all hoping for a Revit plugin that will allow rendering directly. But although Radiance has said it's in the pipeline, we haven't seen a version yet.

I agree about Revit's rendering: 12 hours for an interior rendering with a few lights is ridiculous. The results can be OK, but usually are flat and uninteresting in my view.

I have tried all sorts of paths to get data from Revit to Octane: in theory an FBX file can be opened by Rhino and modo, but I don't think they understand the latest version of the FBX format. I think there's a path via SketchUp Pro (you need the CAD importers for SketchUp, I think).

Keep us updated on your progress: I'm sure there are a lot of people who would like the Revit plugin.

tim
Mac Pro 3,1 / Lion / 14G RAM / ATI HD 2600 / nVidia GTX 470
i5-750 / Windows 7 Pro 64bit / 8G RAM / Quadro FX 580
Revit 2011, SketchUp 8, Rhino
timbarnes
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Resources and Sharing