NEW: Octane X - is finally here! [MEGA FAQ THREAD]

Forums: NEW: Octane X - is finally here! [MEGA FAQ THREAD]
Display your final art here...
Forum rules
Important notice: All artwork submitted on our public gallery forums gallery forums may or may not be used by OTOY for publication on our website gallery.
If you do not want us to publish your art, please mention it in your post clearly. (put a very red small diagonal cross in the top left corner of the image)
Any images already published on the gallery will be removed if the original author asks us to do so.
We recommend placing your credits on the images so you benefit from the exposure too, and use a minimum image width of 1200 pixels, and pathtracing or PMC. Thanks for your attention, The OctaneRender Team.

For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.

This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: NEW: Octane X - is finally here! [MEGA FAQ THREAD]

Postby Goldorak » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:06 am

Goldorak Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:06 am
JoGo23 wrote:Hi Goldorak. Any updates on Modo plugin errors?

Still looking into this. We will be rebuilding it again with PR1.1 update which will also if include bug fixes from the last update for all plugins.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby frankmci » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:34 pm

frankmci Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:34 pm
aoktar wrote:Scaling the canvas of live viewer is on my TODO list. It's complicated for me than you estimate because of current features of Live Viewer. So not will come immediately or soon

Understood. "Why can't you just do X?" Well, because that means un-doing and re-building A, B, C, and D, all of which were built years before anyone thought X was an issue.

But when you get to it, it sure will be appreciated.
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby frankmci » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:42 pm

frankmci Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:42 pm
aoktar wrote:Trying to implement CANVAS SCALING without changing the resolution. Is this what you want?

Wow, that was fast. Yup, I think that's it. Just a simple scale is fine, with minimal pixel interpolation.
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aoktar » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:05 pm

aoktar Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:05 pm
frankmci wrote:
aoktar wrote:Trying to implement CANVAS SCALING without changing the resolution. Is this what you want?

Wow, that was fast. Yup, I think that's it. Just a simple scale is fine, with minimal pixel interpolation.

It's still very WIP and lot of things are needed to be adopted for this mode. But hopefully, I'll sort the issues and bring it.
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby kaleelZibe » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:07 pm

kaleelZibe Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:07 pm
Being able to use Octane X on my Macbook Pro 16" 2019 (AMD 5500M GPU) is pretty exciting. I’m trying to research what hardware would be best to expand this, as the 5500M is obviously slow compared to a lot of other cards available.

I have the Octane Studio license, so I can use 2 GPUs. I was thinking of adding an eGPU via Thunderbolt 3 with something like a Radeon 7 in it, so that I could use that plus the 5500M.

However, the Radeon 7 is getting a little old now and I’m not sure if that’s the best card to boost my system’s performance, particularly for Octane with C4D. All I can find are gaming and video editing benchmarks, neither of which give me much of a an idea about which cards would actually be any good for Octane rendering. I know video editing speed won’t be increased much with an eGPU (not with Premiere Pro at least), but I assume 3D rendering should improve a lot.

I could probably afford to spend a bit more than the price of a Radeon 7, but not too much more. So I'm not at the level of a Radeon Pro Vega II. Is there something in between I should consider? Will anything else give better performance in an eGPU?

To complicate things, when I’m in the office, I plug my laptop into a 5K monitor and would need to factor that in, because something has to drive that and that would subtract from the GPU's available rendering power. Would I connect this monitor to my 5500M and leave the eGPU for rendering? Or the other way around?

Would there be a license conflict with an eGPU because in fact the i9 CPU actually has an intel 630 GPU built in? Can you select which ones you use, or does Octane always add up all the available GPUs for license purposes?

If in the future I bought a 2nd eGPU with the same GPU as the first, would it scale up to twice as fast? Or is there some extra overhead due to the eGPUs?

In fact is overhead / bottlenecking an issue with a single eGPU too?

Sorry that’s quite a long series of questions! I'm new to all of this.
kaleelZibe
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Pixege » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:28 pm

Pixege Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:28 pm
Less than a week ago I invested in an eGPU. The choice fell on the Razer Core X station, which is considered the best in terms of performance and price. I chose Asus ROG Strix RX 5700 XT OC graphics card. It works very well. I am very pleased with the performance. In some time I will be able to buy a better card and improve my performance.
I did a little render speed test. As you can see, the built-in card in the MacBook Pro 16 "and eGPU give satisfactory results.

egpu.jpg
MacBook Pro 16" | AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB | 2,3 GHz Intel Core i9 | 64 GB RAM + eGPU Razer Core X | Asus ROG Strix RX 5700 XT OC
Pixege

Postby kaleelZibe » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:02 pm

kaleelZibe Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:02 pm
Thanks, That’s very useful. It’s good to see it successfully using both the internal and external GPUs. I wonder what a Radeon 7 or higher would do.
kaleelZibe
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby serge-m » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:49 pm

serge-m Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:49 pm
Pixege wrote:Less than a week ago I invested in an eGPU. The choice fell on the Razer Core X station, which is considered the best in terms of performance and price. I chose Asus ROG Strix RX 5700 XT OC graphics card. It works very well. I am very pleased with the performance. In some time I will be able to buy a better card and improve my performance.
I did a little render speed test. As you can see, the built-in card in the MacBook Pro 16 "and eGPU give satisfactory results.

egpu.jpg

Thank you for these infos :)
I wonder what would be the OctaneBench with your setting... - can you share a number ?
Mac Pro (5,1 | 2010 | 12 Core | 48GB Ram) • Nvidia GTX 980 + 1080 • Cinema R19 Studio
serge-m
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Pixege » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:19 pm

Pixege Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:19 pm
I wonder what would be the OctaneBench with your setting... - can you share a number ?

I'd love to check it out. Unfortunately, there is no Octane Bench, which supports the Octane X engine. Apparently, it will appear with macOS Big Sur. I'm waiting too :)
MacBook Pro 16" | AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB | 2,3 GHz Intel Core i9 | 64 GB RAM + eGPU Razer Core X | Asus ROG Strix RX 5700 XT OC
Pixege

Postby serge-m » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:22 pm

serge-m Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:22 pm
Pixege wrote:

I'd love to check it out. Unfortunately, there is no Octane Bench, which supports the Octane X engine. Apparently, it will appear with macOS Big Sur. I'm waiting too :)

I see. Thanx :)
Mac Pro (5,1 | 2010 | 12 Core | 48GB Ram) • Nvidia GTX 980 + 1080 • Cinema R19 Studio
serge-m
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to M is for Metaverse Gallery