Which feature do you need the most?

Forums: Which feature do you need the most?
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Which feature do you need the most?

Volumetric: fire, smoke, clouds
17%
Hair&Fur
13%
Render Passes
11%
Particles
10%
Mixing of daylight and HDRI environment
9%
Multilight
7%
Region Render
6%
Rounded edges
6%
Multi UV channels
6%
Undo
5%
Internal Texture Mapping (planar, box, spherical, cylindrical, camera and so on)
4%
Network render
4%
Subdivision surfaces (OpenSubDiv)
4%

Total votes : 2228

Re: Which feature do you need the most?

Postby fantome » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:54 am

fantome Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:54 am
a switch / conditional node inside standalone would be nice, and the ability to trigger this switch manually in the UI or by expression would be very useful
- manually : you could plug 4 different shaders , or 4 different env map and then switch between them without having to disconnect / reconnect all the time. ( useful for lookdev ). something that could be use as the equivalent of layers comp in photoshop.
- by expression : you could plug 4 different geometry and then load it according to distance to camera ( useful for LOD ). you could also plug various material and again load them according to distance to camera. ( usefull to simplify sss or transmission model when the object is far from cam ). this could save huge amount of VRAM, and for a GPU renderer this sound like a must have feature.
fantome
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:38 am

Goldorak Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:38 am
Joan wrote a switch node for standalone and I think he posted it on the forums.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby nejck » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:33 pm

nejck Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:33 pm
Hm hm, so I've already voiced these suggestions over on other mediums but I figured it'd be nice to log it here too.

Its about the Camera Imager.

I think the way Octane initially implemented the Camera Imager that it was actually ahead of the curve - we had some really nice controls in there (including "baked in" response curves) that were super fun and easy to use. They still are actually. The thing however is that you see things evolve and I am beginning to think it would be nice to start seeing some updates on this front.

I'm talking about things like:
- Sharpening (blur and radius settings),
- Extra Color Grading tools (Contrast control, maybe some separate filmic highlight options, midtone control ...)
- RGB curves

I know there are typically some second thoughts when it comes to the above as everything can be achieved in post-production with dedicated tools but I do think that'd be missing the point. Octane excels at ease of use and it is used by a wide variety of people on a wide variety of projects. From pre-viz, arch-viz, mograph to AAA production and so on. There are a ton of use cases in those industries when you do want to work within the renderer and have some sort of color grading / tonemapping control over the image you are getting - either for pre-viz purposes or for outputting final shots.

I do remember a few vocal minorities that didn't quite get why the above would be useful when other renderers started implementing it but from my own experience most of them very quickly realized how useful it is to help yourself out with color grading / tonemapping the image directly in the interactive renderer windows.

At the worst it can help certain artists match their shot to the plates much quicker. In the best of cases, for something like arch-viz, you can even output the final frame without the need to do any extensive post-production on it.

So yeah, I think I've seen these requests posted before by others but I just felt like throwing my 5 cents at it.

On the subject of feature requests, one thing that I would personally like to see implemented is proper white balance and image tint. Right now it is fairly hard to get a properly white balanced / neutrally tinted image out of Octane. It's doable but its not as straightforward as one would expect.
nejck
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby pixelsmack » Sat May 02, 2020 3:24 am

pixelsmack Sat May 02, 2020 3:24 am
RTX motion blur support. In my app.
pixelsmack
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby fantome » Sat May 23, 2020 12:50 pm

fantome Sat May 23, 2020 12:50 pm
in render passes > beauty passes add 4 extra passes :
- Environment Reflection
- Object Reflection
- Environment Refraction
- Object Refraction

in render passes > denoised passes add 4 extra passes :
- Denoised Environment Reflection
- Denoised Object Reflection
- Denoised Environment Refraction
- Denoised Object Refraction

This will be very useful to help us separate object and environment influences in our compositing software.
fantome
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby henrikmk » Mon May 25, 2020 1:32 pm

henrikmk Mon May 25, 2020 1:32 pm
Since I work mostly in Standalone to maximize resources, my wishes are UI related:

- Search filter for material properties in the node inspector. I'd like to find the Medium input quickly, by just typing "medium" in a search field. I always have to hunt for it.
- Node input/output ordering via separate lists, instead of relying on horizontal position of input/output nodes.
- Button in the panel below the render to quickly set 1:1, 1:2 and 1:4 resolution of the Film Settings.
- One-click halving or doubling of render resolution in Film Settings.
- Vertical nodes with visible names.
- Ability to connect one node to multiple inputs on another node simultaneously without that being all nodes.
- Ability to expand multiple properties to nodes or inputs/outputs at once.
- Back and forth buttons to quickly switch between two node views.
- Multiple node views.
- Ability to "walk" up and down nodes. If I'm looking at a diffuse material, I'd like to see the parent connection by clicking a button instead of having to hunt for it in the node view.
- Walking in and out of input/output nodes. If I'm at an input node, a button click should allow me to switch to the corresponding output node.
- Deactivate a node connection without removing it, so you don't lose the connection setup.
- Allow selecting all UDIM textures at once in the file dialog in the Image Tiles node.
- Allow reordering UDIM textures by drag and drop in the Image Tiles node.

Some more complex things:

- Pack all input or output nodes to a single node. Sometimes they are hard to find, if they are scattered all over the place.
- Texture spreadsheet, where I can quickly set all textures to load at half or quarter resolution or in a compressed format. It shouldn't take more than one minute to reduce a scene to fit on your graphics card memory.
- Geometry spreadsheet, where I can quickly see the memory consumption of each piece of geometry and change properties for whether it should be subdivided or not.
- Each of those spreadsheets should also display, whether the geometry or texture is inside the camera view, so you can turn them off, if needed without fiddling with unhooking geometry groups.
- Spreadsheet picker: Like picking materials, a tool to pick items for view in the texture or geometry spreadsheet would save time. Scenario: All textures are quarter resolution, but I want a few specific hero textures to be full resolution.
- Benchmark spreadsheet, where each material and geometry is benchmarked, so you can locate performance issues. (I don't know if that's possible or if it really makes sense. There might be a better way.)
- Artificial memory limiter, so a scene can be adjusted with spreadsheets to render on smaller GPUs than the one you have.

Memory management is important in Octane, so there should be lots of one-click tools to reduce memory consumption quickly.

Render things:

- Allow longer interval between denoising. 120 seconds is too small.
- Ability to denoise only on demand.

I believe each of these items could be quite effective time savers.
henrikmk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby kirk » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:28 am

kirk Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:28 am
for stand alone:

Particle brush and scattering in standalong itself. I am tired of both 3d max and Blender implementations and all the quirks involved.

World space normal map support . The one I could bake in Octane itself

UDIM support. I mean reading tiles in UDIM convention with <UDIM> in file path like Arnold does. Saving baked files in UDIM also would be nice. I am tired of renaming bake animation series manually.

for plugins
Clarisse plugin
Q6600, 5GB ram, GF9800gt-1gb, 3dsMax 2008 , Blender , Zbrush, Messiah 3d v5, Terragen 2, Vue 6 Infinity
kirk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby galleon27 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:21 am

galleon27 Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:21 am
Would it be possible to add a functionality to camera visibility to hide objects from Baking Camera so that their uvs don't appear in the bake? Ex. if i have two objects with the same baking ID, and turn off camera visibility to one of them, it still appears in the baking texture cause of overlapping uvs.
Win 10 64bit // GTX 4090 + GTX 3090 // 5900x // 64GB // SideFX Houdini // C4D
galleon27
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby jimho » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:24 am

jimho Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:24 am
1 simulator for water( like swimming pool water; sea),
2 hair and fur(grass, carpet)
3 random mapping
4 a better, more reasonable support for revit...

Supermicro 4028GR TR2|Intel xeon E5 2697 V3| windows 10| revit 2019 |Titan V+ Quadro GV100+RTX 2080 Ti
jimho
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Aleksei » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:48 pm

Aleksei Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:48 pm
Camera motion blur which doesn't depend on a scene structure:
1. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75702
2. viewtopic.php?f=30&t=75684

...both for Thin Lens and Universal cameras.
RTX 4090 | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | 64GB | Win 11 23H2
Aleksei
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion