octane ipr really crashy compared to mplay ipr

Forums: octane ipr really crashy compared to mplay ipr
Sub forum for bug reports

Moderator: juanjgon

Forum rules
Before posting a bug report, please check the following:
1. That the issue has not already been disclosed
2. That the issue is specific to this plugin, and not Octane in general (Try reproducing it in Standalone)
Bugs related to the Octane Engine itself should be posted into the Standalone Support sub-forum.

All bug reports should include the information below, along with a detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce it.
A. Operating System, including version (i.e. Win 7, OSX 10.11.2, Ubuntu 14.04, etc.)
B. Graphics Card(s) model (i.e. GTX 580 - 3GB, TITAN, etc.)
C. RAM Capacity (i.e. 6 GB)
D. Nvidia driver version (i.e. 7.50, 7.5.22)
E. OctaneRender Standalone version, if installed (i.e. 2.24.2, 2.23, etc.)
F. OctaneRender plugin version (i.e. v2.25 - 2.21)
G. Host application version, including build number if available (i.e. 3ds Max 2016 Build 18.0)

octane ipr really crashy compared to mplay ipr

Postby Tokyomegaplex » Fri May 22, 2020 5:44 am

Tokyomegaplex Fri May 22, 2020 5:44 am
im noticing in my scene i can barely use the octane ipr while the mplay ipr is actually pretty stable.

windows 10 using two 1070s and a 1080

latest octane 2020.1 plugin and houdini 18.0.460
Tokyomegaplex
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: octane ipr really crashy compared to mplay ipr

Postby juanjgon » Fri May 22, 2020 8:45 am

juanjgon Fri May 22, 2020 8:45 am
Hi,

Sorry, I'm not aware of any crashes related to work with the OpenGL IPR window. Perhaps the crash comes from the Octane core, but in this case, the same should happen with MPlay.

Can you please try to reproduce this issue after enabling the Octane log file in debug mode in the plugin options panel? This log file could help to know the crash point and to know if it comes from the core or if it is a plugin issue.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby trogers » Thu May 28, 2020 12:00 am

trogers Thu May 28, 2020 12:00 am
Hi Juanjo,

I have also been getting a number of fatal Houdini crashes when using the Octane IPR (Octane 2020.1.0.8 / Houdini 18.0.460). I haven't compared it to MPlay, but it's fairly easy to get it to crash particularly when trying to reload the IPR. In the attached crash report (octane-01.log) I attempted to reload the IPR after making an adjustment to the displacement height on a material as it was not responding.

octane-01.log
(5.7 MiB) Downloaded 133 times

Attempting to close the IPR when it's calculating also crashes it at times. In this instance I turned off Render Region and then a few seconds later attempted to close the IPR 'octane-02.log'.

octane-02.log
(753.13 KiB) Downloaded 136 times

Ironically I was able to get Houdini to crash multiple times trying to add a light while the IPR was open. I would then position and scale the light and hit Reload on the IPR to have it show the newly created light. I was able to reproduce it 3 times in a row, but wasn't able to get a report (The path in the Octane debug dialog was pointing to a non existent folder). As soon as I set the Octane debug logging in the settings to output to the console I couldn't get the IPR to crash, ironically..

I've also managed to get a crash trying to update point colors on my model while the IPR was open. Houdini subsequently attempted to recalculate some VDB nodes down the line and then crashed, however I wasn't able to record a log for that session. I'll keep trying to collect bug reports as I experience the crashes. Let me know if I can provide any further info to help out.

Best / Travis
Win 10 / AMD 3970x / Nvidia 4090 + 2080 Ti / 128GB
trogers
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Thu May 28, 2020 8:51 am

juanjgon Thu May 28, 2020 8:51 am
Ok. So all your crashes happen while trying to reload the scene from the IPR window, right? I think that I could know the origin of all these problems, related to how the plugin is trying to clean the scene without destroying the Octane nodes stored inside the VOP nodes. I'll take a look at this issue as soon as possible.

Thanks for the detailed explanation and the logs.
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby trogers » Thu May 28, 2020 7:38 pm

trogers Thu May 28, 2020 7:38 pm
Thanks Juanjo,

Yes reloading seems to be particularly problematic. Closing the IPR at times crashes Houdini as well, though from what it sounds like, this is probably related. I'll let you know if I find any other issues.

Best / Travis
Win 10 / AMD 3970x / Nvidia 4090 + 2080 Ti / 128GB
trogers
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Bug Reports