OctaneRender™ 2020.1 RC4 [superseded by 2020.1]

Forums: OctaneRender™ 2020.1 RC4 [superseded by 2020.1]
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

OctaneRender™ 2020.1 RC4 [superseded by 2020.1]

Postby mojave » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:00 am

mojave Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:00 am
Dear all,

We are happy to share a new release candidate of Octane 2020.1. This means that this release contains all features planned for the stable build once it is released but we may still go through more iterations to solve any issues as required. Please be aware this is still not a stable release so please do not use this for production purposes.

This release includes a number of bug fixes and improvements including most of what has been reported by you in previous builds. There are still some outstanding issues that could not make it to this release but we are making good progress and they should be coming in the next release. Thank you all for your support.

Should you find any issues with this release please report using this thread so we can make sure we provide you with the best feedback.

Make sure to use a NVIDIA Studio driver with version at least 435.80 for Windows or 435.12 for Linux to enable support for RTX hardware acceleration. There are no OSX drivers that currently support RTX.

OctaneRender 2020.1 has superseded this build.

Changes since OctaneRender 2020.1 RC3:

Bugfixes:

• Fixed a few scenarios causing CUDA errors after some scene updates.
  • Fixed an issue with recent NVIDIA drivers that would cause materials to not to be properly assigned to some instances when using RTX.
  • Fixed object layer and material maps so they also work with the new light node types.
  • Fixed some scenarios which would cause Octane to not to be able to reach any server due to invalid Windows proxy settings.
  • Fixed crash happening during startup on OSX when a proxy is configured in the OS settings.
  • Fixed case in which compilation of invalid meshes would result in an unhandled exception.
  • Fixed CUDA error when layered materials would exceed the maximum number of layers allowed.
  • Fixed CUDA error happening with some mediums with zero scattering values.

Improvements:

• Improved sampling of scattering media with saturated scatter and absorption spectra.
  • Mitigated appearance of fireflies in mediums with a highly wavelength-dependent scattering radius.

Other changes:

• Added new menu item Find type... to the node graph editor context menu that allows searching for a node type to create a new instance.

Downloads

Downloads for Enterprise subscription users:

OctaneRender Enterprise 2020.1 RC4 Standalone for Windows (installer)
OctaneRender Enterprise 2020.1 RC4 Standalone for Windows (ZIP archive)
OctaneRender Enterprise 2020.1 RC4 Standalone for Linux
OctaneRender Enterprise 2020.1 RC4 Standalone for OSX

OctaneRender Enterprise 2020.1 RC4 Slave for Windows (installer)
OctaneRender Enterprise 2020.1 RC4 Slave for Windows (ZIP archive)
OctaneRender Enterprise 2020.1 RC4 Slave for Linux
OctaneRender Enterprise 2020.1 RC4 Slave for MacOS

Downloads for Studio subscription users:

OctaneRender Studio 2020.1 RC4 Standalone for Windows (installer)
OctaneRender Studio 2020.1 RC4 Standalone for Windows (ZIP archive)
OctaneRender Studio 2020.1 RC4 Standalone for Linux
OctaneRender Studio 2020.1 RC4 Standalone for OSX

Happy rendering
Your OTOY NZ team
mojave
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: OctaneRender™ 2020.1 RC4 [latest 2020.1.x]

Postby PolderAnimation » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:09 pm

PolderAnimation Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:09 pm
Question about motion blur.

Is it correct that Octane does not understand angular velocity? If so, this would be extremely useful to get nice motion blur arc.
I also tried and alembic with sub-frames for a nice smoother arc in the motion blur but that does not seem to work either. Is that correct? or am I doing something wrong?

edit: the sub-frames do work, but the angular velocity or W attribute (houdini) still doesn't work.
Win 10 64bit | RTX 3090 | i9 7960X | 64GB
PolderAnimation
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby linograndiotoy » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:10 pm

linograndiotoy Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:10 pm
PolderAnimation wrote:Question about motion blur.

Is it correct that Octane does not understand angular velocity? If so, this would be extremely useful to get nice motion blur arc.
I also tried and alembic with sub-frames for a nice smoother arc in the motion blur but that does not seem to work either. Is that correct? or am I doing something wrong?

edit: the sub-frames do work, but the angular velocity or W attribute (houdini) still doesn't work.

Sub frames are always needed to get effects like this one:
MB.PNG
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby tim_grove » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:13 pm

tim_grove Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:13 pm
Why does opacity no longer work in conjunction with metallic materials?

This breaks reflection features of the OSL Raytype Contribution setups made by Calus and Milan which are REALLY helpful.
tim_grove
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby linograndiotoy » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:47 pm

linograndiotoy Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:47 pm
tim_grove wrote:Why does opacity no longer work in conjunction with metallic materials?

This breaks reflection features of the OSL Raytype Contribution setups made by Calus and Milan which are REALLY helpful.

It does, but not if you set metallic to 1. Try 0.9999 or so. This is an issue that should be fixed.

This simple scene shows the issue:
Opacity_Metallic.ocs
(78.3 KiB) Downloaded 381 times

As we set Metallic to 1, we totally lose the Opacity effect.
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby funk » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:45 pm

funk Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:45 pm
Thanks team
Win10 Pro/ Ryzen 5950X / 128GB / RTX 4090 / MODO
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby PolderAnimation » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:16 pm

PolderAnimation Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:16 pm
linograndiotoy wrote:
PolderAnimation wrote:Question about motion blur.

Sub frames are always needed to get effects like this one:
MB.PNG

yeah but you could calculate this with two vectors. this is how Houdini does it with packed geo.
But its sound that this is not possible in octane?
PolderAnimation
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Notiusweb » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:36 pm

Notiusweb Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:36 pm
Hi Wallace, I tested scenes with Material Layers and they are no longer crashing.
However instead of crashing an added material layer just now goes inactive, so if I had 5 working and I add a 6th, it doesn't crash but the 6th does nothing.

But also, if I had 5 working while I had no active Coating layer, it no longer crashes if I add the Coating > 0...which is good.
But, the Coating layer > 0 then disables, as in turns out, the previously active 5th layer, and now I only have 4 working Material layers.
Mind you it doesn't crash, but the 5th layer is no longer present in render.

So how many layers are actually possible then, because if I had 5, and then I add
(+1) Sheen and
(+2) Coating,
it's then like I have to minus 2 from my # of potential render-able Material Layers....
so like then there's only 3 'seats' left over for the Material Layer. And it doesn't matter how it is arranged, if in a Layer Group, or combined with other layer groups.

I mean, if I have a scene with 10 objects, each with all nodes active and then 3 material layers, that would be 10 * 3 = 30 total distinct material Layers handled by the engine.
So why is a single universal material 'capped' at 3 max Material Layers if all other nodes active in the Universal material?
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby PolderAnimation » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:07 pm

PolderAnimation Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:07 pm
Another motion blur question.

Here two tests. I have a sphere that rotates 180 degrees in one frame.
The first one has rotation keys on the object is self, the second one has a vertex position cache (both have sub frames).

As you can see the one with the vertex position cache has wrong motion blur. So for all animated characters with subframes caches, the motion blur is wrong.

I have attached an orbx, if you slide the shutter time you can see where things go wrong.
Attachments
render2.jpg
object motion blur
render1.jpg
vertex motoinblur
motionblur.orbx
(120.97 KiB) Downloaded 362 times
PolderAnimation
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby wallace » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:28 pm

wallace Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:28 pm
Notiusweb wrote:Hi Wallace, I tested scenes with Material Layers and they are no longer crashing.
However instead of crashing an added material layer just now goes inactive, so if I had 5 working and I add a 6th, it doesn't crash but the 6th does nothing.

But also, if I had 5 working while I had no active Coating layer, it no longer crashes if I add the Coating > 0...which is good.
But, the Coating layer > 0 then disables, as in turns out, the previously active 5th layer, and now I only have 4 working Material layers.
Mind you it doesn't crash, but the 5th layer is no longer present in render.

So how many layers are actually possible then, because if I had 5, and then I add
(+1) Sheen and
(+2) Coating,
it's then like I have to minus 2 from my # of potential render-able Material Layers....
so like then there's only 3 'seats' left over for the Material Layer. And it doesn't matter how it is arranged, if in a Layer Group, or combined with other layer groups.

I mean, if I have a scene with 10 objects, each with all nodes active and then 3 material layers, that would be 10 * 3 = 30 total distinct material Layers handled by the engine.
So why is a single universal material 'capped' at 3 max Material Layers if all other nodes active in the Universal material?

The maximum is 8 layers (for each unique base material). Universal material operates as a maximum of 4 layers depending on what you do. Coating is one layer, sheen is one layer. If you have transmission, diffuse, specular active simultaneously, then that accounts as two layers, on the other hand if you don't have transmission, or if you don't have specular reflection, that's only two layers, and any addition sheen and coating would add one to it.

From that onwards, you are allowed to add additional layers until you reach a maximum of 8.

If you really want to challenge the maximum number of layers possible, I suggest you use the composite material. From what I see, you are adding additional diffuse layers as decals, it's probably not as important to use layered material for that as the difference with composite material is not all that much.

Another note is that in general it's advised to keep the number of layers as minimal as possible, so there's less computation occurring for extra layers.
wallace
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Next

Return to Development Build Releases