Octane blurry on 4k display (while C4D is sharp)

Forums: Octane blurry on 4k display (while C4D is sharp)
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

Re: Octane blurry on 4k display (while C4D is sharp)

Postby aoktar » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:46 pm

aoktar Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:46 pm
OlyDarko wrote:Hey guys, just wanted to ask if there is any update in sight on this?
Please also see attached screenshot (Octane and Redshift interactive render windows, Redshift is sharp. Corona window is sharp as well btw, Octane is the only renderer that is blurry..).
Cheers,
Oly

As said before no updates planned! Use %100 scale for resolution and adjust font sizes. Also you can use highdpi compatibility for softwares which don't support it.
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Lukasesch » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:40 am

Lukasesch Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:40 am
Is there any possibility for someone from the Octane team to get in contact with Maxon regarding this issue?
Octane is a rather big plugin in the C4D scene, it's a shame that such a bug exists in 2020.

I guess there is something Maxon / our devs are overlooking regarding that Redshift, Corona, ... all don't have this issue.
Loving the work you do Aoktar and the C4D plugin is by far the best one, so no offense from my side. :)
Lukasesch
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aoktar » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:29 pm

aoktar Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:29 pm
Lukasesch wrote:Is there any possibility for someone from the Octane team to get in contact with Maxon regarding this issue?
Octane is a rather big plugin in the C4D scene, it's a shame that such a bug exists in 2020.

I guess there is something Maxon / our devs are overlooking regarding that Redshift, Corona, ... all don't have this issue.
Loving the work you do Aoktar and the C4D plugin is by far the best one, so no offense from my side. :)

Thanks but why don't try my advice. It's not a bug for me just an unsupported feature.

aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby nejck » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:23 am

nejck Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:23 am
While I don't own a 4k display myself the fact that Octane doesn't support Windows scaling properly is weighing into my decision to buy one. I feel like I definitely understand the struggle people are having because if changing font size would help then I don't think we'd ever need scaling elsewhere either - every other software would just make the font larger.

Make no mistake, I'm a total fan of what you've done with the plugin, Aoktar. Hands down, marvelous work :) That said, I would definitely like to see scaling be supported as it seems quite crucial for bigger screens.
nejck
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Lukasesch » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:16 am

Lukasesch Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:16 am
aoktar wrote:Thanks but why don't try my advice. It's not a bug for me just an unsupported feature.

Because then my whole system has unreadable tiny fonts, icons, ... then. Of course I could make C4D usable with your workaround of adjusting fonts, icons, ...
But C4D is not the only program in my workflow. And using Windows scaling fix makes other programs blurry, compared to their native 4k scaling that takes its settings from windows scaling.
Wondering how it can be an unsupported features if all other render engines get this right.
Lukasesch
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aoktar » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:35 am

aoktar Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:35 am
Lukasesch wrote:
aoktar wrote:Thanks but why don't try my advice. It's not a bug for me just an unsupported feature.

Because then my whole system has unreadable tiny fonts, icons, ... then. Of course, I could make C4D usable with your workaround of adjusting fonts, icons, ...
But C4D is not the only program in my workflow. And using Windows scaling fix makes other programs blurry, compared to their native 4k scaling that takes its settings from windows scaling.
Wondering how it can be an unsupported feature if all other render engines get this right.

This question sounds to me we don't believe you. High dpi support came with R21 and probably needs to adopt all functions in LiveViewer for a fake resolution to create an illusion. It's not easy for me even we can detect/find how to know the usage of high-dpi emulation in C4D. Because LV has many many extras as in-screen drawings and mouse handlings.,

I'm also working on 4K monitors and adjusted everything which can be readable by using the methods I wrote. Try to apply what I wrote, you can adopt all software to 4k by using the method in picture. Anyway I'll ask to Maxon if they have any advice.
a1.jpg

This is my c4d screen without blurry fonts and results at %100 zoom
Attachments
a2.jpg

aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby zacknmotion » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:10 pm

zacknmotion Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:10 pm
Any update on this? Octane is tough to use in R21 because of the scaling. If this doesn't get resolved for S22, it might scare more users to redshift. I want to keep using octane, so please bump this up in priority.
zacknmotion
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aoktar » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:49 pm

aoktar Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:49 pm
zacknmotion wrote:Any update on this? Octane is tough to use in R21 because of the scaling. If this doesn't get resolved for S22, it might scare more users to redshift. I want to keep using octane, so please bump this up in priority.

Looks like my solution is wrotten to water.

aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby zacknmotion » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:05 pm

zacknmotion Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:05 pm
aoktar wrote:
zacknmotion wrote:Any update on this? Octane is tough to use in R21 because of the scaling. If this doesn't get resolved for S22, it might scare more users to redshift. I want to keep using octane, so please bump this up in priority.

No offense, but your solution is a duct tape approach. Vray, Arnold, Corona, Cycles, and Redshift all support R21's HDPI UI, so why not Octane? Clearly it's possible. I love the work you do on the plugin, it would nice if this issue was addressed, or at least on the roadmap to be addressed.
zacknmotion
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby OlyDarko » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:21 pm

OlyDarko Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:21 pm
zacknmotion wrote:
aoktar wrote:

No offense, but your solution is a duct tape approach. Vray, Arnold, Corona, Cycles, and Redshift all support R21's HDPI UI, so why not Octane? Clearly it's possible. I love the work you do on the plugin, it would nice if this issue was addressed, or at least on the roadmap to be addressed.

I have to agree with this. Even if your workaround would work for some people aoktar, the size of the elements in your screenshot on my 27 inch screen is super tiny, I couldn't work a single day like this, sorry... Hope there is a solution in sight.
Cheers,
Oly
OlyDarko
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Maxon Cinema 4D