Octane 2019 For Unreal Engine - v0.25: Octane 2019.1.1

Forums: Octane 2019 For Unreal Engine - v0.25: Octane 2019.1.1
Sub forum for plugin releases

Moderator: ChrisHekman

Re: Octane 2019 For Unreal Engine - v0.25: Octane 2019.1.1

Postby ChrisHekman » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:46 am

ChrisHekman Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:46 am
Notiusweb wrote:So strange, when I next export back this now 2-cube scene from UE4 to Octane Standalone, the UE4 created cube is still warped, and texture inversion matches the issue in the plugin.
It's like there is something mirror going on with the UVs in UE4. I blame UE4 here.

Because, even If I completely disconnect the UE4 cube from its screwy pasted on plugin material, and then paste on a whole new simple Diffuse in the Octane Standalone, it's still messed up.
So, like the material the whole time is always fine in all circumstances.
Just somehow meshes from UE4 have some UV distortion thing going on that is preventing Octane standalone materials from being directly imported onto them.

There are a couple of things going on here.

Unreal uses V inverted UVs
Unreal uses Y inverted textures

This YFlip is copied over into the plugin. This was done because it keeps the UV calulations the same across shaders/materials. And keeping the textures yflipped makes texture conversion faster.
I am currently changing this as I was experiencing similar issues with a new feature.

The Octane Box primitive has a different UV layout than the unreal Cube.
The two boxes will not be the same, even when the y-flip issue has been fixed.
The Unreal cube has the entire texture on each of its faces, while the Octane box divides the texture by 1/6ths and places each part on each of the 6 faces.

The "Transform value" node rotation has a bug where it thinks it should have two values, making rotation not work.
Ill see if I can find the cause of the bug here. In the meantime you can change the transform node type from "Transform Value" to "2D Transformation".
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Notiusweb » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:24 am

Notiusweb Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:24 am
ChrisHekman wrote:
Notiusweb wrote:So strange, when I next export back this now 2-cube scene from UE4 to Octane Standalone, the UE4 created cube is still warped, and texture inversion matches the issue in the plugin.
It's like there is something mirror going on with the UVs in UE4. I blame UE4 here.

Because, even If I completely disconnect the UE4 cube from its screwy pasted on plugin material, and then paste on a whole new simple Diffuse in the Octane Standalone, it's still messed up.
So, like the material the whole time is always fine in all circumstances.
Just somehow meshes from UE4 have some UV distortion thing going on that is preventing Octane standalone materials from being directly imported onto them.

There are a couple of things going on here.

Unreal uses V inverted UVs
Unreal uses Y inverted textures

This YFlip is copied over into the plugin. This was done because it keeps the UV calulations the same across shaders/materials. And keeping the textures yflipped makes texture conversion faster.
I am currently changing this as I was experiencing similar issues with a new feature.

Cool Chris! Yeah, this will be awesome!

Thx for your informative descriptions, I was very confused by this. Thx for the help!
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Notiusweb » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:36 am

Notiusweb Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:36 am
Uh Oh...
I just stumbled across something.
Plugin cannot respond to morph shapes can it....

I have a Live-Link to UE4 from iClone, where iClone generates morph shapes to UE4. The UE4 face moves around controlled from iClone, and the Plugin head likewise moves around, almost in Realtime.
But - the expressions and morph shapes, which do yes carry over to UE4, unfortunately do not then carry over into the plugin display.

So, the Plugin is not so much rendering the mesh 'shape' as much as it is converting it to an FBX-ish thing somehow, and thus can only 'mirror' hard bone-rig-type movements, but not morph blendshapes, right?... :cry:

Grid_Blendshape_01.jpg
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ChrisHekman » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:35 am

ChrisHekman Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:35 am
Im going to try to add morphtargets to the next build. Which should be released this week, or start of next week.
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby purpledancer » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:24 am

purpledancer Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:24 am
Hey there, I was wondering if anyone has found a fix for this issue. I use Brushify.io for my landscape material and World Creator 2 for the Height map, but Octane does not seem to be picking it up in the render viewport. I've attached an image with what I am talking about. Any help would be greatly appreciated. https://ibb.co/BtVgkjV

EDIT : I was thinking maybe the Octane Plugin for Unreal doesn't fuck with heightmaps, and maybe I would have to import the landscape as a mesh. :shock:
purpledancer

Postby ChrisHekman » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:00 am

ChrisHekman Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:00 am
purpledancer wrote:Hey there, I was wondering if anyone has found a fix for this issue. I use Brushify.io for my landscape material and World Creator 2 for the Height map, but Octane does not seem to be picking it up in the render viewport. I've attached an image with what I am talking about. Any help would be greatly appreciated. https://ibb.co/BtVgkjV

EDIT : I was thinking maybe the Octane Plugin for Unreal doesn't fuck with heightmaps, and maybe I would have to import the landscape as a mesh. :shock:

Landscapes should work, however they were added in a newer version. You posted in the 0.25v release thread, so i assume you are using 0.25v?
You can upgrade to latest here: viewtopic.php?f=132&t=73883
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby purpledancer » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:32 pm

purpledancer Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:32 pm
ChrisHekman wrote:
purpledancer wrote:Hey there, I was wondering if anyone has found a fix for this issue. I use Brushify.io for my landscape material and World Creator 2 for the Height map, but Octane does not seem to be picking it up in the render viewport. I've attached an image with what I am talking about. Any help would be greatly appreciated. https://ibb.co/BtVgkjV

Landscapes should work, however they were added in a newer version. You posted in the 0.25v release thread, so i assume you are using 0.25v?

Thanks Chris,

My landscape shows up now, but the landscape material does not seem to be supported-- I am thinking it may to have to do with the use of Layerinfo. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer these questions.
purpledancer

Postby ChrisHekman » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:38 am

ChrisHekman Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:38 am
purpledancer wrote:
ChrisHekman wrote:

Thanks Chris,

My landscape shows up now, but the landscape material does not seem to be supported-- I am thinking it may to have to do with the use of Layerinfo. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer these questions.

The material should be supported to the same extent as other unreal materials (which means most unreal mat nodes are supported), and it should also support layerinfo.
Your terrain dosnt look that complicated, so im interested in what goes wrong.
Could you share me your setup? and how it looks?
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby purpledancer » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:03 am

purpledancer Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:03 am
ChrisHekman wrote:The material should be supported to the same extent as other unreal materials (which means most unreal mat nodes are supported), and it should also support layerinfo.
Your terrain dosnt look that complicated, so im interested in what goes wrong.
Could you share me your setup? and how it looks?

I would love to share in anyway - what would be the best method? Images, project files, etc.

-My scenes base is simply the Brushify - Environment Shaders Pack
-I've swapped out the starter terrain with an imported heightmap from World Creator 2 (PNG.)
-Landscape information: https://ibb.co/PMGvQ7G
-Current view: https://ibb.co/ssy7YQQ
purpledancer

Previous

Return to Releases