External Compositing Tag (Nulls) not lining up in AE

Forums: External Compositing Tag (Nulls) not lining up in AE
Sub forum for bug reports

Moderator: aoktar

Forum rules
Before posting a bug report, please check the following:
1. That the issue has not already been disclosed
2. That the issue is specific to this plugin, and not Octane in general (Try reproducing it in Standalone)
Bugs related to the Octane Engine itself should be posted into the Standalone Support sub-forum.

All bug reports should include the information below, along with a detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce it.
A. Operating System, including version (i.e. Win 7, OSX 10.11.2, Ubuntu 14.04, etc.)
B. Graphics Card(s) model (i.e. GTX 580 - 3GB, TITAN, etc.)
C. RAM Capacity (i.e. 6 GB)
D. Nvidia driver version (i.e. 7.50, 7.5.22)
E. OctaneRender Standalone version, if installed (i.e. 2.24.2, 2.23, etc.)
F. OctaneRender plugin version (i.e. v2.25 - 2.21)
G. Host application version, including build number if available (i.e. 3ds Max 2016 Build 18.0)
H. A detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce it (Include Screenshots or video capture), as well as an example scene if applicable.
I. Copies of the Octane Log window and Console window outputs (full text attached as a file to your post is recommended).

Please note that reports of issues inside existing threads will be ignored/removed, and reports may be closed if the reporter does not respond to subsequent queries in the thread.

External Compositing Tag (Nulls) not lining up in AE

Postby bobbystarbuck » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:32 pm

bobbystarbuck Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:32 pm
Hello,

Before I decided to post, I went on an intensive search for any solution to this problem both internally and on the forums + google with only one post that mentioned this issue but no solution. Frankly, I'm very surprised that this issue hasn't been resolved as it's very important in VFX industry that exported nulls work properly to the rendered plate.

The issue is that when I apply an External compositing tag to scene objects, I am expecting them to line-up pixel-perfect in After Effects but with Octane this doesn't seem to be possible. The nulls slide and it is not a practical solution. I work in NY with several large studios such as the Mill, MPC, etc. and having discovered this problem, I don't think I can recommend Octane for further projects until this issue gets resolved.

[img][img]https://i.ibb.co/Trk96Q9/P1.jpg[/img]
upload images[/img]

As you can see, I imported the rendered backplate (rendered in Octane) back into C4D, the white box constantly slides in position and then out of position (In Frame 62, you will see that the plate slides out from where it should be as indicated by the green arrows.) At frame 92, the plate is back into position.

[img][img]https://i.ibb.co/hFKTZYB/P2.jpg[/img]
upload images[/img]

Again at frame 96, the plate is not aligned but back at the end of the animation F100, the plate aligns again. So it's off and on but not usable in a project where for example screen elements may need to be swapped out in composite.

I suspect the Octane Camera is the issue but I can't confirm this independently.

I've tried everything from constraining the plate to the original animation, attaching it via xpresso and baking the animation frame-by-frame to no good result.

Simply put, Octane doesn't seem to work with the C4D's external compositing tag.

Currently, I'm on a workstation at Powerhouse VFX that works in movies and television and I was the one who urged the VFX supervisors to give Octane a try. This is turning out to be a huge embarassment for me that we're stuck in this part of the process.

The Workstation I'm on is as follows:

Windows 10 64bit
Nvidia RTX 2080 TI
128 GB RAM
NVIDIA Driver 26.21.14.3086 (5/22/19)
Cinema 4D R21.026 (Build RB290015)
Octane Render Enterprise 2019.1 version:6000100 SDK:2019.1
Octane Render for C4D 2019.1 built for: 210 C4D vers: 21026

I am attaching the C4D file to this post. If you render out a basic pass in Octane, and then try to get the External Compositing tags - or even the original Geo used in the C4D project. It will NOT line up with Octanes Render.

Please help.

Thank you and respectfully,
Bobby
bobbystarbuck
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: External Compositing Tag (Nulls) not lining up in AE

Postby aoktar » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:27 pm

aoktar Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:27 pm
Octane camera is simply a C4D camera but with a Octane tag. What can be an issue or bug for us here?
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby bobbystarbuck » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:48 pm

bobbystarbuck Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:48 pm
aoktar wrote:Octane camera is simply a C4D camera but with a Octane tag. What can be an issue or bug for us here?

This is the kind of issue I'm dealing with, very dismissive responses from the developer himself.

I explained the situation with native c4d external compositing tags not lining up with Octane render passes. This makes things like toolkits, broadcast package and more complex compositing impossible in Octane. My friends are telling me to move to Redshift as apparently there's none of these headache associated with compositing in post.

Getting frustrated and I don't have time to spell things out more clear than I did in my first post.

Not a bug? Maybe, but it IS an issue. I will have to recommend Redshift to my teams until all these little papercuts can be sorted out.

Bobby
bobbystarbuck
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby frankmci » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:34 pm

frankmci Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:34 pm
What is it that makes you think it's specifically Octane causing the problem? You say you suspect, but what have you actually tried to test the theory? You don't mention if you've tried rendering the exact same scene with both an Octane and a standard C4D camera. Does the C4D camera work while the one with the Octane tag does not? If that's the case, can you share a stripped down example scene with both camera types that demonstrates the behavior?
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bobbystarbuck » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:08 pm

bobbystarbuck Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:08 pm
frankmci wrote:What is it that makes you think it's specifically Octane causing the problem? You say you suspect, but what have you actually tried to test the theory? You don't mention if you've tried rendering the exact same scene with both an Octane and a standard C4D camera. Does the C4D camera work while the one with the Octane tag does not? If that's the case, can you share a stripped down example scene with both camera types that demonstrates the behavior?

Yes I've tried it in C4D native and the external compositing tags + my object buffers line up.

The above post was a shot used for a CBS television show called 'Evil.' I had to explain to my VFX Supervisor the trouble and it ended up making me look bad for missing a delivery window.

I did attach a C4D file in the above post but I guess it didn't come through? I suspect it may have something todo with Octanes Camera tag, perhaps something with the imager. It's VERY easy to replicate, import the C4D file into After Effects along with a render, you will see that the compositing tags do not line up with the animation. I suggest rendering out a rotating cube (eased keyframes) that moves across the X-axis across the screen with external compositing tags on each face. Once you scrub through the timeline in After Effects, you will easily discover the issue with the compositing nulls/solids jumping around at random points in the timeline.

I tried multiple things to no avail as it was important to get these to line up, in the end I had to manually fix the areas where the compositing tags would 'jump' by hand. Not an ideal solution but the best solution at the time.

I apologize if I came across as abrasive, I do hope that Octane stays strong, I've just dealt with so many little things that it's become frustrating to recommend without someone pointing the finger at me as the problem when problems arise.

Also is there a way to speed up object buffers in Octane so it can just spit them out like native C4D render does? It boggles my mind that rendering object buffers in Octane can increase the render time so much the way it does.

Very Respectfully,
Bobby
bobbystarbuck
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby adriendupagne » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:35 pm

adriendupagne Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:35 pm
Having the exact same issue.
adriendupagne
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby frankmci » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:52 pm

frankmci Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:52 pm
I'm sorry I lost sight of this thread last month. As far as I can tell, the External Compositing Tags are working fine with Octane and AE. I'm not getting any sliding or off-registration. I'll attach a simple demo scene in both AE and C4D based your description above. I've just tested it in
C4D R21.115
Octane 2019.1.5
AfterEffects CC 2019

Could you try uploading another sample file? The forum won't accept a raw .c4d file, though, you need to compress it first.
Attachments
CompositingTags.zip
Simple C4D and AE Compositing Tag project files
(118.4 KiB) Downloaded 202 times
Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 5.41.26 PM.png
Compositing Tag, C4D and AE.
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Seun116_1 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:49 pm

Seun116_1 Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:49 pm
I was happy to see that someone has already brought this up, but sad it find out a solution hasn't been presented. The issue becomes very noticeable when the Octane scene has been rendered with motion blur. A sample text in AE lines up perfect with a hardware render from Cinema 4D, but there's a lot a sliding when it's on top an Octane render sequence.
Seun116_1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby marco_py » Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:59 pm

marco_py Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:59 pm
I'm having this problem because i've set the camera distortion to 1 in the Octane camera tag, so all the edges are getting bulged in and not aligning with the native c4d camera + external comp tags.
3D Animator

5950X | 2x RTX 3090 | 128gb RAM | W11 Pro
marco_py
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby boxfx » Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:12 pm

boxfx Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:12 pm
The AE camera and nulls export is handled 100% by c4d, octane has nothing to do with the generation of the aec files or when AE interprets c4d files. If you're using standard c4d cameras with octane tags then in my experience they line up in octane just as well as they do in any other render engine. the only problem you're going to have is if you use any sort of camera lens distortion, either view film X/Y offsets of lens curvature distortion; but that applies 100% to all render engines. AE doesn't understand lens distortion and thus cannot work out what to do with the visual positions of 3D data.

If anyone wants to post a simple project to show the problem, im happy to take a look.
boxfx
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Bug Reports