Using orbx materials library

Forums: Using orbx materials library
Blender (Export script developed by yoyoz; Integrated Plugin developed by JimStar)

Re: Using orbx materials library

Postby tapanojum » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:33 pm

tapanojum Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:33 pm
Can someone explain how this import orbx works, step by step? I have yet to make any use of it. DrawFun wrote it's added through "Properties-Data-Orbx properties-Orbx File Path" but the only Orbx file import I can find is under "Object Data Properties". Importing an obj, fbx, or alembic and applying an Orbx file under Object Data results in a "ERROR! Check console for detailed error messages."

So what's the step by step use case here or was this a feature that only worked before blender 2.8?
tapanojum
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby J.C » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:42 pm

J.C Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:42 pm
tapanojum wrote:Can someone explain how this import orbx works, step by step? I have yet to make any use of it. DrawFun wrote it's added through "Properties-Data-Orbx properties-Orbx File Path" but the only Orbx file import I can find is under "Object Data Properties". Importing an obj, fbx, or alembic and applying an Orbx file under Object Data results in a "ERROR! Check console for detailed error messages."

So what's the step by step use case here or was this a feature that only worked before blender 2.8?

This is not for importing obj, fbx, or alembic files but only ORBX files. You can export whole scene or a single object to this format and open it in other plugins or standalone with all materials, textures and cameras used.
CPU – i9 13900KF, 128GB RAM, GPU – RTX 4090
System – Windows 11
My Behance portfolio, Blender plugin FB support group
J.C
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby tapanojum » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:55 am

tapanojum Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:55 am
That's what I'm not understanding, how do I import the orbx file? I can't find any mention of orbx in any menu unless I add geometry to the scene first in order to access object data properties, only there I see a line mentioning orbx.
tapanojum
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby grimm » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:57 am

grimm Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:57 am
It works strangely, almost like it's a proxy object. To test I started with the default cube in Blender. I selected the cube and then went to it's Object Data Properties panel. Under the "Orbx properties" I just loaded in a ORBX file, in this case it is a plane with particle system that I had exported to standalone. As you can see the cube is still selected and the overlay outline is still visible, but when you render it will render the plane instead.

orbx_import_blender.png
Linux Mint 20 x64 | Nvidia GTX 980 4GB (displays) RTX 2070 8GB| Intel I7 5820K 3.8 Ghz | 32Gb Memory | Nvidia Driver 460.56
grimm
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby tapanojum » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:45 am

tapanojum Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:45 am
That's an awesome use, thanks for sharing Grimm.

I'm interested in this " You can export whole scene or a single object to this format and open it in other plugins or standalone with all materials, textures and cameras used."

Because I'm migrating out of Daz Octane to Blender, I have thousands of objects between dozens of scenes to convert to Octane. Doing this one by one in LiveDB is simply masochistic. If I was able to import the entire scene through ORBX as was suggested, then that would be amazing.
tapanojum
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby grimm » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:11 pm

grimm Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:11 pm
ORBX does export the whole scene, but in this case I think that the camera is being ignored. You will need to test to make sure, but as you can see, the objects and textures are preserved.
Linux Mint 20 x64 | Nvidia GTX 980 4GB (displays) RTX 2070 8GB| Intel I7 5820K 3.8 Ghz | 32Gb Memory | Nvidia Driver 460.56
grimm
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby J.C » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:27 pm

J.C Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:27 pm
tapanojum wrote:...
I'm interested in this " You can export whole scene or a single object to this format and open it in other plugins or standalone with all materials, textures and cameras used."

Imported ORBX in Blender will be treated as one object. You won't be able to separate it or edit materials. It only can be visible during render time.
Imported ORBX in Standalone will have editable materials and separate objects in object layers.
CPU – i9 13900KF, 128GB RAM, GPU – RTX 4090
System – Windows 11
My Behance portfolio, Blender plugin FB support group
J.C
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby tapanojum » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:20 pm

tapanojum Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:20 pm
J.C wrote:Imported ORBX in Blender will be treated as one object. You won't be able to separate it or edit materials. It only can be visible during render time.
Imported ORBX in Standalone will have editable materials and separate objects in object layers.

How do I import ORBX into Blender?
tapanojum
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby linograndiotoy » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:33 am

linograndiotoy Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:33 am
pegot wrote:
DrawFun wrote:About the orbx import feature, it is also available for OctaneBlender now. You can find it in "Properties-Data-Orbx properties-Orbx File Path" in OctaneBlender after 17.4.

How does the ORBX import feature work? I exported an ORBX from Stand Alone. In Blender Octane, I then access the default cube's Data property and set file path to the ORBX I exported from Stand Alone. But nothing happens. The scene does not load. And nothing renders.

Works fine here. Which version are you using? Can we see a render of the ORBX in Standalone?
Cattura.JPG

Thanks!
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Previous

Return to Blender