Multilayer EXR issue: Standard RGB channels are black

Forums: Multilayer EXR issue: Standard RGB channels are black
Sub forum for bug reports

Moderator: aoktar

Forum rules
Before posting a bug report, please check the following:
1. That the issue has not already been disclosed
2. That the issue is specific to this plugin, and not Octane in general (Try reproducing it in Standalone)
Bugs related to the Octane Engine itself should be posted into the Standalone Support sub-forum.

All bug reports should include the information below, along with a detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce it.
A. Operating System, including version (i.e. Win 7, OSX 10.11.2, Ubuntu 14.04, etc.)
B. Graphics Card(s) model (i.e. GTX 580 - 3GB, TITAN, etc.)
C. RAM Capacity (i.e. 6 GB)
D. Nvidia driver version (i.e. 7.50, 7.5.22)
E. OctaneRender Standalone version, if installed (i.e. 2.24.2, 2.23, etc.)
F. OctaneRender plugin version (i.e. v2.25 - 2.21)
G. Host application version, including build number if available (i.e. 3ds Max 2016 Build 18.0)
H. A detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce it (Include Screenshots or video capture), as well as an example scene if applicable.
I. Copies of the Octane Log window and Console window outputs (full text attached as a file to your post is recommended).

Please note that reports of issues inside existing threads will be ignored/removed, and reports may be closed if the reporter does not respond to subsequent queries in the thread.

Multilayer EXR issue: Standard RGB channels are black

Postby hausgross » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:07 am

hausgross Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:07 am
Hi!

We switched over to Octane's multilayer EXR workflow to use cryptomattes and so far it works fine.
One thing that's very annoying is that the standard RGB channels, that are usually used for the beauty layer are black and the beauty channel is saved as a layer. This means you always have to put the image into a compositing software to see, what's in the file. I don't know if it's a real bug, but it is certainly not the standard way to work and irritates the artists.

I tested the scene in C4D R21 with Octane 2019.1.5 and in Standalone. Standalone does not exhibit this problem - the channels are as one would expect.
I would be quite happy if this was fixed in the plugin :)

Scene files are attached, here is the system Information:

A. Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 1903
B. Graphics Card(s) model: 2x GTX1080ti
C. RAM Capacity: 64GB
D. Nvidia driver version: 441.12 (Studio Driver)
E. OctaneRender Standalone version: 2019.1
F. OctaneRender plugin version: 2019.1.5
G. Host application version, including build number if available: C4D R21.115
H. Render a multilayer EXR using Octanes saving mechanism
I. Copies of the Octane Log window and Console window outputs (full text attached as a file to your post is recommended): No information in Octane log, console log is attached
Attachments
C4D console.txt
(3.24 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
EXR Issue Black channel.zip
Scene files and renderings
(5.28 MiB) Downloaded 142 times
hausgross
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Multilayer EXR issue: Standard RGB channels are black

Postby hausgross » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:51 am

hausgross Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:51 am
Any news on this topic?
hausgross
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aoktar » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:56 pm

aoktar Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:56 pm
hausgross wrote:Any news on this topic?

Sorry but this sentence sounds like you have to do what I want! I can fix if there's a hardness for workflows but don't think this is a bug. I'll take a look for the reason
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby J.C » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:55 pm

J.C Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:55 pm
hausgross wrote:Hi!

We switched over to Octane's multilayer EXR workflow to use cryptomattes and so far it works fine.
One thing that's very annoying is that the standard RGB channels, that are usually used for the beauty layer are black and the beauty channel is saved as a layer. This means you always have to put the image into a compositing software to see, what's in the file. I don't know if it's a real bug, but it is certainly not the standard way to work and irritates the artists.

I tested the scene in C4D R21 with Octane 2019.1.5 and in Standalone. Standalone does not exhibit this problem - the channels are as one would expect.
I would be quite happy if this was fixed in the plugin :)

That would be great if Octane's multilayer EXRs were saved the same as in Standalone.
CPU – i9 13900KF, 128GB RAM, GPU – RTX 4090
System – Windows 11
My Behance portfolio, Blender plugin FB support group
J.C
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby hausgross » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:01 am

hausgross Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:01 am
aoktar wrote:
hausgross wrote:Any news on this topic?

Sorry but this sentence sounds like you have to do what I want! I can fix if there's a hardness for workflows but don't think this is a bug. I'll take a look for the reason

Great to hear you are looking into this :)

It's not a big deal by itself, but if you have to extract the beauty channels every time you need them for every rendering you've done it just adds up.
Also if you share files with clients and artists outside your team you have to explain every time why the image is black. And I don't think "this is how Octane works in C4D" is a good explanation, especially if standalone handles the output differently.

Thank you for your work!
hausgross
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Bug Reports