OctaneRender™ 2020.1 XB1 [superseded by 2020.1 XB2]

Forums: OctaneRender™ 2020.1 XB1 [superseded by 2020.1 XB2]
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

Re: OctaneRender™ 2020.1 XB1

Postby Notiusweb » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:53 pm

Notiusweb Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:53 pm
karu wrote:
osiosiosi wrote:If i remember it correctly .. soeone allready mentioned it a time ago. What i would love to see is an option in daylight system to set the sun like i want it. Not by changing the time or location but just setting the sundirection with an arrow or something similar in 3d space. Its really bothering me sometimes to search for the sun and rotate it for minutes till i find an angle that looks good. I really dont care if its the "correct daytime, latitude or whatever ...
Would that be somehow possible?

This is already possible - you can change the type of node used for a sun direction from "Sun direction" to "Float value" using the dropdown in the Node inspector and that allows you to specify any XYZ vector.

I think we are looking for something a bit more simple and intuitive -
That Sun Direction X Y Z does not have a full 360 intuitive control set, like we do for HDRIs, with the X Y Z controls by themselves.
Unlike UV Transform in the placement node, the Sun Direction-Float Value only seems to traverse the coordinates 180 degrees, or up to a point. You cannot loop the X Y and Z with a single slider movement, let alone with a gizmo!
They have to be combined with all of the other sun controls.

It is PIA to work with in my opinion. Like I said, the sun map is great because it lets you swirl until you get to a look.
But, the precision control is not intuitive like a (1) gizmo & (2) full 360 "UV placement style" XYZ controls would be.
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby linograndiotoy » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:49 am

linograndiotoy Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:49 am
I agree with Notiusweb.
Look at how Octane for Cinema deals with it. Sun position is associated with the rotation of a Directional light, which works perfectly imo.
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby TRRazor » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:03 pm

TRRazor Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:03 pm
I always thought, that Poser did this fantastically in it's native host application.
Attachments
46788-poser-ch7-1-figure0704 (1).jpg
46788-poser-ch7-1-figure0704 (1).jpg (13.28 KiB) Viewed 7073 times
W10 64 bit | i7 3770K | MSI Geforce RTX 2080 (8GB) + GTX Titan Black (6GB) | 32 GB DDR3 RAM
TRRazor
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Zay » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:32 pm

Zay Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:32 pm
TRRazor wrote:I always thought, that Poser did this fantastically in it's native host application.

+1
Win 11 Pro | i5 12600K | 32GB ram | 2x GTX 1080Ti + 3080Ti - studio driver 546.01| Modo/Blender/ZBrush/Daz/Poser
Zay
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby osiosiosi » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:27 pm

osiosiosi Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:27 pm
TRRazor wrote:I always thought, that Poser did this fantastically in it's native host application.

+1
osiosiosi
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mojave » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:04 am

mojave Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:04 am
GillesKontrol wrote:Any idea when network rendering is going to be a possibility again?

We will make available the slave build in one of the next releases.

GillesKontrol wrote:On the standalone I cannot get multipass rendering to render as well, it just gets stuck at the end of the first frame and doesn't move on to the next frame.

Do you have at least one device enabled for tonemapping or denoising in case you are using the denoiser in your scene?

GillesKontrol wrote:Also for some scenes, when RTX is off, the scene renders fine. When RTX is on, the frame comes out as completly black. They're all exported from the C4D 2020 Plugin.

Could you share any of the scenes you mention maybe via PM so we can reproduce this?
mojave
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby GillesKontrol » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:27 am

GillesKontrol Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:27 am
mojave wrote:
GillesKontrol wrote:Any idea when network rendering is going to be a possibility again?

We will make available the slave build in one of the next releases.

Any idea when that will be? I'd rather it not work sometimes now, but still have it then troubleshooting exported C4D scenes all the time.
It's an experimental build, so some things not working could be expected - so unless you guys had to remake it from scratch I don't see why it couldn't be included.

mojave wrote:
GillesKontrol wrote:On the standalone I cannot get multipass rendering to render as well, it just gets stuck at the end of the first frame and doesn't move on to the next frame.

Do you have at least one device enabled for tonemapping or denoising in case you are using the denoiser in your scene?

Yes, both with denoising on or off it still does not finish rendering the frame. All devices have tonemapping enabled and only one has denoising.

mojave wrote:
GillesKontrol wrote:Also for some scenes, when RTX is off, the scene renders fine. When RTX is on, the frame comes out as completly black. They're all exported from the C4D 2020 Plugin.

Could you share any of the scenes you mention maybe via PM so we can reproduce this?

Will send it :).
GillesKontrol
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby tobywe » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:13 pm

tobywe Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:13 pm
Hi, I was just asking on the Houdini plugin forum about the recommended workflow for using ACES and Juanjo suggested I enquire on this general release forum. Am I right in thinking that textures need to be pre-converted to ACES CG and I was also wondering about viewing the render in ACES space in the IPR. I'm still hazy on all the ins and outs but it would be great to know the best practice moving forward, if anyone can give guidance?

Many thanks,
Toby
tobywe
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby itsallgoode9 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:57 pm

itsallgoode9 Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:57 pm
tobywe wrote:Hi, I was just asking on the Houdini plugin forum about the recommended workflow for using ACES and Juanjo suggested I enquire on this general release forum. Am I right in thinking that textures need to be pre-converted to ACES CG and I was also wondering about viewing the render in ACES space in the IPR. I'm still hazy on all the ins and outs but it would be great to know the best practice moving forward, if anyone can give guidance?

Many thanks,
Toby

It would really be great to if OTOY would create, a step by step for correctly working with an ACES workflow in regards to Octane. I've looked into this a lot myself but ACES is new to me, as well, and I'm not clear whether tutorials from other render engines are directly applicable to Octane or if Octane has some Octane specific stuff, regarding ACES.
Intel i7-3930K, 64gb RAM, Asus X79 Deluxe mobo, 2x EVGA 780 6gb (for rendering), 1x PNY quaddro k4000 (for display)
Windows 8.1 x64, Maya 2014, Octane Render v2
itsallgoode9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby karl » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:59 pm

karl Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:59 pm
tobywe wrote:Hi, I was just asking on the Houdini plugin forum about the recommended workflow for using ACES and Juanjo suggested I enquire on this general release forum. Am I right in thinking that textures need to be pre-converted to ACES CG and I was also wondering about viewing the render in ACES space in the IPR. I'm still hazy on all the ins and outs but it would be great to know the best practice moving forward, if anyone can give guidance?

Many thanks,
Toby

itsallgoode9 wrote:It would really be great to if OTOY would create, a step by step for correctly working with an ACES workflow in regards to Octane. I've looked into this a lot myself but ACES is new to me, as well, and I'm not clear whether tutorials from other render engines are directly applicable to Octane or if Octane has some Octane specific stuff, regarding ACES.

The current experimental build contains support for exporting renders in "ACES Image Container File Layout" format, which is an uncompressed 16-bit EXR file in the ACES2065-1 color space with some additional metadata. There is currently no support for any other ACES color spaces such as ACEScg, or ACES textures, or ACES interactive preview. It is likely all of these will be made available as a result of further color management work coming in a future 2020.1 experimental build - watch this space.
karl
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

PreviousNext

Return to Development Build Releases