Unreal Materials -> Octane for C4D?

Forums: Unreal Materials -> Octane for C4D?
Unreal® Engine Integrated Plugin

Moderator: ChrisHekman

Unreal Materials -> Octane for C4D?

Postby jayroth » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:19 pm

jayroth Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:19 pm
I have an Unreal asset with materials that I have imported into Cinema 4D and I would like to convert the Unreal materials into Octane that Cinema can then use. I am not sure if I will render final in Octane via Cinema, or Unreal (mainly because I currently have very little experience with Unreal.) I see that Octane will convert the UE materials into Octane format, but from there I am not sure how to proceed (or even IF I can...)

Any advice?
CaseLabs Mercury S8 / ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS / Crucial 64GB 2133 DDR4 / 2 XEON E5-2687W v3 3.1 GHz / EVGA 1600 P2 / 2 EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid/ Cinema 4D

Is it fast? Oh, yeah!
jayroth
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Unreal Materials -> Octane for C4D?

Postby samsue » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:15 pm

samsue Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:15 pm
I want to take advantage of your topic and ask you as well.

Is it possible to convert materials from Octane to Unreal?
samsue
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ChrisHekman » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:50 am

ChrisHekman Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:50 am
samsue wrote:I want to take advantage of your topic and ask you as well.

There is a conversion from Octane to Unreal materials. The conversion is limited though and functions as previz.

Convert.png

Can I ask what you want to do where you need to convert Octane materials to unreal?
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby samsue » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:17 pm

samsue Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:17 pm
ChrisHekman wrote:

There is a conversion from Octane to Unreal materials. The conversion is limited though and functions as previz.

Convert.png

Can I ask what you want to do where you need to convert Octane materials to unreal?

Thank you for your answer and also for your question.

From your question, I could already see that something I had thought was wrong.

I'm now studying Unreal seriously and it's not clear to me if I can use Octane in combination with Raytrace, as I could with Unreal and Raytrace to make animations for example without having to render each frame.

But like I said, I may have a lot of mistakes, I'm studying first technical part to understand some nomenclatures, how Real Time render really works etc...
samsue
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ChrisHekman » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:36 pm

ChrisHekman Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:36 pm
No problem.
"Real Time" especially is a tricky term. In game terms we mean any algorithm that can run in a game while maintaining 30 to 60 fps.
While in the production rendering and computer science, "realtime" means that the program responds to changes within some timeframe, usually within seconds.
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby samsue » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:45 pm

samsue Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:45 pm
ChrisHekman wrote:No problem.
"Real Time" especially is a tricky term. In game terms we mean any algorithm that can run in a game while maintaining 30 to 60 fps.
While in the production rendering and computer science, "realtime" means that the program responds to changes within some timeframe, usually within seconds.

Can you deepen your answer a little more?

Simply put, to make the animations as we have seen several making of, on the site of epic, youtube ... I can use OCtane materials, or I need to convert to Unreal and then use raytrace etc ... ( I know this could be done with bake too, but some things don't get so good

but I think I make some confusion with the terms and workflows... I need to go deeper into the topic.
samsue
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby EvolverInteractive » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:57 pm

EvolverInteractive Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:57 pm
If you want to do Raytracing with Unreal at 24-30 fps, grab 2 RTX Quadros and enable mulit gpu mode and skip using Octane
if you want Octane quality and material, you can enable ray tracing in the Unreal viewport for look dev, but you'll need to render Octane frames "off line".
If you want Octane to run at 24 fps, umm wait a while. You're wanting 1-2 spp speed at 500spp quality. You'll have to find your balance of speed and quality or buy more gpus.

I have 3x 2080 and 2 x 2070 , and I normally time my renders to be able to output about a 60 seconds of video in 7 hours.
EvolverInteractive
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby samsue » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:51 pm

samsue Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:51 pm
@EvolverInteractive ... Danke :P
samsue
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby jayroth » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:31 am

jayroth Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:31 am
ChrisHekman wrote:

Convert.png

Yes, we had purchased an Unreal asset from the Marketplace with the intent of doing our shots in Unreal. However, due to scheduling issues and other things, the prudent choice instead was to render in Octane, hence the conversion request. I ended up converting the materials manually, and they actually looked better that way.
CaseLabs Mercury S8 / ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS / Crucial 64GB 2133 DDR4 / 2 XEON E5-2687W v3 3.1 GHz / EVGA 1600 P2 / 2 EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid/ Cinema 4D

Is it fast? Oh, yeah!
jayroth
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Unreal® Engine