Octane what have you done to yourself (subscription only?)

Forums: Octane what have you done to yourself (subscription only?)
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Re: Octane what have you done to yourself (subscription only?)

Postby Goldorak » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:13 am

Goldorak Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:13 am
pegot wrote:Oh darn. I just payed for the 199 Maintenance extension - which is what I was leaning towards anyway. Will I also have option to purchase perpetual next year if I so choose?

I think yes, but I can’t promise anything beyond what we have available now on the shop page; and it would also depend when in the new year.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Aryen90 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:42 pm

Aryen90 Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:42 pm
It seems to me Otoy created a smokescreen to confuse a lot of people. The names the different options. very confusing. might be due to me not being native english speaking. Anyway.. for personal use i am staying with v4. At work we might change to 2020.x purely for the RTX support.
Aryen90
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Aryen90 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:55 pm

Aryen90 Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:55 pm
Goldorak wrote:
Aryen90 wrote:I just got the mail for the 2020 upgrade. Is it only subcription now? I really dont want nor need that. I just need to have my standalone working. I have had octane since 2012. I have always bought the upgrade when available and i wanted to do that now as well because of the RTX support.
Maybe i am misunderstanding and the enterprise upgrade isnt a subscription please explain.
i just dont see any justification for this price increase for a product that has always been a good price and suddenly becoming more expansive for 1 year then the previous 7 years.

It’s 199 / year for 1 year maintenance , and 349 for 2 yrs. This is equivalent to last year’s plan (called enterprise all access )

The 499 price is only HIGHER, if you optionally also want to upgrade your perpetual V3/V4 license to V2020, which is an option we did not offer last year.

Note that if you had bought 2 years of maintence last year, the 2020 perpetual update is actually free. 1 year maintence is 150 less etc.. The price is based on when you last paid for an upgrade (for most that is V3, since V4 was free upgrade). For similar example - If you miss 1 year maintenance for a floating RS license, you have to buy another $600 license to get on the latest version again.

So lets clear up some things for me personally:

option 1: stick with v4 get the maintenance for 200 or 349 and then i can use 2020.x during that period? if it expires i have to fall back to v4?
option 2: upgrade to perpetual 2020.x for 499 or 699 and then i get updates during that time period and after that date i still get to use the latest version available at the end of the maintenance period?
option 3: do nothing pay nothing keep using v4.

Maybe it helps my usecase: Revit -> export obj -> Phantom Scatter -> Octane -> render nothing more nothing less.
Aryen90
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby crackfox » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:21 pm

crackfox Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:21 pm
i have bought the 2 year package for 499 or something and am good until 2021.

still have no fucking idea how any of this works.
honestly, you couldnt make it more opaque if you tried.

congrats
crackfox
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to General Discussion