Live Viewport sometimes doesn't update changes in scene

Forums: Live Viewport sometimes doesn't update changes in scene
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Live Viewport sometimes doesn't update changes in scene

Postby tapanojum » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:11 am

tapanojum Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:11 am
I've had this issue as long as I remember and so does another fellow Daz/Octane user I know. The Viewport doesn't automatically render changes to the scene when rendering. This is very hit and miss. On fresh scenes, it always works. Eventually it will stop auto updating and require a Rebuild Scene for every non-Octane change. To be clear, if I make any changes to an Octane material it will automatically reflect that in the render 100%. However, if I'm changing a pose in a character or some other setting within Daz, it won't work without a rebuild.

I've emailed about this in the past and was recommended to delete the OctaneRender_settings.oczdb. This may have helped temporarily but the problem always returns. I'm posting here to see if anyone else has experienced this and has a solution.

It's obviously not the end of the world to have to rebuild the scene each time. It's a minor inconvenience having to readjust camera focus and wait for the rebuild to occur. Also the option to spot render is removed if you don't notice that the scene didn't update until after the render is finished... although that seems more like the user being at fault :D Any help would be appreciated.
tapanojum
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Live Viewport sometimes doesn't update changes in scene

Postby birdovous » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:24 am

birdovous Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:24 am
I'm encountering this issue as well - time to time. I sort of learned to live with it and am accepting it as a nuisance as it usually goes away after restarting DAZ.

Another similar issue I'm experiencing that requires a scene rebuild is that in some situations when I open the Octane viewport for the first time, characters in the scene are rotated incorrectly and a scene rebuild is required to fix that.
Birdovous
Master: Core i7 2600K, 32GB RAM, 2x EVGA GTX Titan X (SC)
Slave 1: Core i5 4460, 16GB RAM, 2x EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
Slave 2: Core i7 9700K, 64GB RAM, 2x ASUS RTX 2080 Ti
birdovous
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:30 am

face_off Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:30 am
Hi. Yes, I have encountered this from time to time, but not been able to identify the cause. If you encounter a way to reproduce this issue with 100% certainty, I can investigate further.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby tapanojum » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:48 am

tapanojum Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:48 am
face_off wrote:Hi. Yes, I have encountered this from time to time, but not been able to identify the cause. If you encounter a way to reproduce this issue with 100% certainty, I can investigate further.

Paul

If you work on a scene long enough, you will 100% reproduce this issue. I work 4-6 hours as a minimum daily and end up not being able to see the Viewport update live at at some point in the day, every single day. I've now migrated to a brand new dedicated rig and am experiencing this issue just as often as I did on my old setup. I would argue that this issue is experienced by all Daz Octane users.

I will test to see if closing/reopening Daz temporarily fixes the issue. I know for certain that starting a fresh scene temporary fixes it. Really unproductive to have to re-render an entire scene when all you needed to do was spot render a facial expression change for example.

Edit: Rereading this, I realize I sound like I'm asking you to play around with a scene for 6 hours in hopes of recreating it. I only meant that there seems to be some connection with length of use for creating this bug.
tapanojum
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rajib » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:40 am

rajib Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:40 am
Yes, this happens a lot when one is continuously using Daz and rendering in Octane for a couple of hours. It is a known issue.
Windows 10 Pro i9-9980XE 128GB RAM|4 x Titan RTX
Houdini 18.5(2020.2.1.2)|Cinema C4D R26|Daz Studio Pro 4.21.0.5(Octane 2021.1.6.83)
NVIDIA 460.89 Studio Standard
rajib
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby tapanojum » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:28 am

tapanojum Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:28 am
rajib wrote:Yes, this happens a lot when one is continuously using Daz and rendering in Octane for a couple of hours. It is a known issue.

It's a known issue that I've experienced every day since I first started using Octane 11 months ago. There's got to be a way to address it. Really slows down production when you have to re-render or close Daz and reload the entire scene.
tapanojum
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rajib » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:32 am

rajib Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:32 am
It probably can be addressed if Paul commits to a rewrite of the Daz Plugin. But he has already said many times that it is not going to be possible for him.... and so we continue to suffer the many issues with the plugin year after year....
Windows 10 Pro i9-9980XE 128GB RAM|4 x Titan RTX
Houdini 18.5(2020.2.1.2)|Cinema C4D R26|Daz Studio Pro 4.21.0.5(Octane 2021.1.6.83)
NVIDIA 460.89 Studio Standard
rajib
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to DAZ Studio