Vectron in Houdini?

Forums: Vectron in Houdini?
Houdini Integrated Plugin

Moderator: juanjgon

Vectron in Houdini?

Postby Mentaldevil » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:36 pm

Mentaldevil Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:36 pm
In C4D this is fairly simple to setup, but how can I create a Mandelbulb Vectron in Houdini, where do I get the code for this? Is it even possible if I have no knowledge of OSL?
Mentaldevil
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Vectron in Houdini?

Postby juanjgon » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:54 pm

juanjgon Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:54 pm
Hi,

The Vectron objects in Houdini are configured adding an OSL shader with the OSL code to the vectron options available in the OBJ spare parameters. Attached you have an example scene if you want to take a look at it.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
Attachments
17-vectron1.zip
(34.5 KiB) Downloaded 349 times
2019-11-13 22_52_06-.jpg
2019-11-13 22_50_04-.jpg
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Mentaldevil » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:50 am

Mentaldevil Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:50 am
Thanks, exactly what I was looking for!
Mentaldevil
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby thargor6 » Sat May 02, 2020 6:11 pm

thargor6 Sat May 02, 2020 6:11 pm
Hi,
I recently switched from Lightwave to Houdini, and was happily surprised that my collection of Vectron formulas works without any change.
So, if you are looking for formulas, you may have a look here: https://github.com/thargor6/FFVectron

Cheers!

Andreas

P. S.: Thanks Juanjo - the Vectron-stuff works so MUCH better in Houdini, so I will probably even revive the FFVectron-project and will add more formulas in the future.
thargor6
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby kmdani » Wed May 13, 2020 7:38 am

kmdani Wed May 13, 2020 7:38 am
juanjgon wrote:Hi,

The Vectron objects in Houdini are configured adding an OSL shader with the OSL code to the vectron options available in the OBJ spare parameters. Attached you have an example scene if you want to take a look at it.

Thanks,
-Juanjo

Juanjo, could you include this example file with the plugin? I tried to find this example file many times, without success, and randomly found this topic.
kmdani
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Tokyomegaplex » Tue May 19, 2020 4:34 am

Tokyomegaplex Tue May 19, 2020 4:34 am
kmdani wrote:

Thanks,
-Juanjo

Juanjo, could you include this example file with the plugin? I tried to find this example file many times, without success, and randomly found this topic.

+1, would love some samples included as is the case with the other plugins.
Tokyomegaplex
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby davidyannick_1 » Thu May 21, 2020 9:06 am

davidyannick_1 Thu May 21, 2020 9:06 am
thargor6 wrote:Hi,
I recently switched from Lightwave to Houdini, and was happily surprised that my collection of Vectron formulas works without any change.
So, if you are looking for formulas, you may have a look here: https://github.com/thargor6/FFVectron

Cheers!

Andreas

P. S.: Thanks Juanjo - the Vectron-stuff works so MUCH better in Houdini, so I will probably even revive the FFVectron-project and will add more formulas in the future.

I've tried in Houdini, but how can you specify the path to ff-vectron ?
thanks
davidyannick_1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby thargor6 » Tue May 26, 2020 12:27 am

thargor6 Tue May 26, 2020 12:27 am
davidyannick_1 wrote:
thargor6 wrote:Hi,
I've tried in Houdini, but how can you specify the path to ff-vectron ?
thanks

It's a bit of a mystery, it works on my machine (without any obvious changes to settings ), but I can not duplicate it.

But, I have found a workaround: You can use absolute paths. It is not really nice, but it works: just edit each formula you want to use and exchange the "ff-vectron-h" by the actual path to this file on your hard drive.
(It is at least a lot better than copying the contents of the ff-vectron.h into each formula, which also would work).

Please let me know when you have further questions (I'm not really often here, but from time to time).

Cheers!

Andreas
thargor6
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby AtomicNixon » Wed May 18, 2022 8:15 pm

AtomicNixon Wed May 18, 2022 8:15 pm

Thanks,
-Juanjo

Except it ain't that simple. What's the function _wipes() all about? The time variable also is connected to the shutter, not frame. Basically this, the one singular example of how to get this thing to animate doesn't work. I can find absolutely nothing online about this, how did you come across it?
AtomicNixon
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Houdini