Octane 2019 For Unreal Engine - v0.26: ORBX/MorphTargets

Postby ChrisHekman » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:06 pm

ChrisHekman Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:06 pm
Octane for Unreal Engine 0.26
Changes:
  • Upgraded to Octane 2019.1.4
  • MorphTargets are now supported.
    *Skinned Meshes switch CPU skinning when using MorphTargets
  • New ORBX Importing: Unpacks an ORBX file and converts its content and scene to unreal assets
  • OctaneMaterials: Added functionality to set an unreal texture on RGB Image, Alpha Image, Grayscale Image nodes in the node editor
  • Added blueprint support for OctaneNode/Item. Octane rendertarget camera pin values can now by set via blueprints
  • Textures and mesh UV's are no longer Y flipped in Octane.
    *This should not cause any problems, but if textures or UVs behave differently in this version, please let us know

Fixes:
  • Fixed rotation UI issue on Transform Value nodes
  • Fixed UI issue where attributes would not show up when selecting Transform Value nodes
  • Fixed bug where custom output "clear coat normal" was not converted correctly to Octane material
  • Fixed various normals being incorrect on certain materials
  • Fixed various tooltips and UI

UE 4.23
Studio Installer: https://www.otoyserver.com/unrealengine ... UE4_23.exe
Enterprise Installer: https://www.otoyserver.com/unrealengine ... UE4_23.exe
Free Version Installer: https://www.otoyserver.com/unrealengine ... UE4_23.exe

UE 4.22
Studio Installer: https://www.otoyserver.com/unrealengine ... UE4_22.exe
Enterprise Installer: https://www.otoyserver.com/unrealengine ... UE4_22.exe
Free Version Installer: https://www.otoyserver.com/unrealengine ... UE4_22.exe

ORBX Importing
Features:
  • Assets: Octane Meshes are converted to unreal StaticMesh assets
  • Assets: Octane Materials are converted to unreal OctaneMaterial assets
  • Assets: Octane Textures are converted to unreal Texture2D assets
  • Assets: Textures, Materials and Meshes are linked together when appropriate
  • Scenegraph: Scenegraph is converted UWorld level asset
  • Scenegraph: Mesh nodes in scenegraph are converted to UWorld level as StaticMeshComponents
  • Scenegraph: Scatter nodes in scenegraph are converted to UWorld level as InstancedMeshComponents
  • Scenegraph: Skeletal meshes in the scenegraph are converted to UWorld level as SkeletalMeshComponents
  • Scenegraph: RenderTargets in the scenegraph are converted to UWorld level as OctaneRenderTargetActors
  • Scenegraph: ObjectLayermaps in the scenegraph are converted to UWorld level as OctaneObjectLayermapComponents
Current Limitations:
  • Converted materials are grey in Unreal
  • Alembic and Skeletal animated geometry is not fully supported yet
  • Skewed transformations are not supported
  • Plane geometry node is not supported
  • Toon nodes are not supported
  • Rendertarget Environment nodes are not converted to unreal directional lights or skybox.
  • Animated ORBX files are not supported
  • IES and LUT files are not supported
  • Volumetric, vectron, spectron are not supported
Last edited by ChrisHekman on Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: Octane 2019 For Unreal Engine - v0.26: ORBX/MorphTargets

Postby Notiusweb » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:01 am

Notiusweb Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:01 am
OMG - I haven't tested but if these things are working I am going to collapse in sheer JOY
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ChrisHekman » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:27 am

ChrisHekman Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:27 am
Notiusweb wrote:OMG - I haven't tested but if these things are working I am going to collapse in sheer JOY

I hope it does. Let me know if it works with iClone.
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby mrfactory » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:09 pm

mrfactory Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:09 pm
Hello Chris

Great work you are doing with the plugin. I have a solution for realtime virtual sets for film, and for me is quite important the support of Octane Render in UE4.

I'm very satisfied with your approach, cause is very importat for me the ORBX implementation in my pipeline.

Questions:

1-When the ORBX imported, UE4 parent materials will be also created?
2-When the ORBX imported UE4 lights or emisive material will be also created?
3-When the ORBX imported UE4 environments will be created to match ORBX environments?
4-In the future, when ORBX imported, animations will be created in UE4?
5-Is Brigade (with realtime no noise render) going to be supported anytime soon, or is something that is going to take time? (suposedlly is going to be supported with 2019.2)

Best Regards, and thans for getting this done.
mrfactory
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ChrisHekman » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:17 pm

ChrisHekman Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:17 pm
mrfactory wrote:1-When the ORBX imported, UE4 parent materials will be also created?

Do you mean if there will be a conversion step from Octane Materials to Unreal materials?

mrfactory wrote:2-When the ORBX imported UE4 lights or emisive material will be also created?

When we upgrade to 2019.2, unreal light primitives will be converted to unreal equivilants.

mrfactory wrote:3-When the ORBX imported UE4 environments will be created to match ORBX environments?

Ill see if it is possible to convert environment nodes to an unreal skysphere/atmospheric fog/directional lights.
Additionally, ill check if I can link the RenderTargetActor environment node with the converted environment texture

mrfactory wrote:4-In the future, when ORBX imported, animations will be created in UE4?

This is very difficult to implement, and will have very poor results. As Octane has a very different scene structure then Octane the conversion of animations would be very lossy.
If you need this you can import an ORBX as a proxy, this will retain the animation, but wont allow you to make changes in unreal.

mrfactory wrote:5-Is Brigade (with realtime no noise render) going to be supported anytime soon, or is something that is going to take time? (suposedlly is going to be supported with 2019.2)

Depends on what you mean by realtime. If you mean 30fps no noise rendering, then the answer is most likely no. We are working to get there, but it will take time.

What is it that you want to do?
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby mrfactory » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:07 pm

mrfactory Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:07 pm
Hello Chris, Thanks for your fast answer!!.

1-When the ORBX imported, UE4 parent materials will be also created?

Do you mean if there will be a conversion step from Octane Materials to Unreal materials?
Yes, the conversión from ORBX to UE4 materials is the most important for us.
----------------
The idea is to create a set with Maya, 3DS, C4D.... with Octane, then export to ORBX, then import to UE4 so that we can Previs in realtime, and then record the camera tracking data in FBX format with our system so that we can render the whole movie with Octane Render with 10x GPU HPC Servers.

We've been successfull doing just the modeling and the UV (UDIM) with external 3D app, and then, light, map all the textures and create all the materials within UE4, rendering both at the same time Octane Render and UE4 so that both have the same color and same light.
----------------
We are using this system for feature films and fiction series. This is one of our first tests, https://vimeo.com/263196460

Best Regards
Attachments
Test_Octane_vs_UE4.jpg
mrfactory
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby WadeWatts » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:18 am

WadeWatts Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:18 am
This is very impressive. I am going to try some tests similar to what you have done. I'm trying to understand your workflow in more detail and exactly what is supported or not. However I think the best way is to try it for myself then ask questions. Thank you for posting this. It is very informative.

One statement I don't understand. Why is the advantage of rendering in both Unreal and OctaneRender simultaneously? Is it for the match-move of the the actor? Are you just trying to get to a preview mode of what the lighting, etc in the final render will look like because?
WadeWatts

Postby Notiusweb » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:47 am

Notiusweb Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:47 am
Hi Chris, it does work!....almost....
Morph Targets on the character transfer over.
It is interesting, if I drag along the iClone timeline, and UE4 moves respectively in realtime, the Octane viewport perpetually renders like a constant realtime update, it never completes itself as a render.
It constantly runs pixelated, but you can see the matching blendshape in the image.

But then it will suddenly look like it is going to complete a frame, and it crashes UE4.

I am using 4.22.3 because iClone doesn't support 4.23 yet.... :x

UE4 Error

LoginId:5f684a39407181cb7126fe979a5c88c5
EpicAccountId:

Assertion failed: [File:D:\Build\++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RenderCore\Private\RenderResource.cpp] [Line: 151] A FRenderResource was deleted without being released first!

UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_RenderCore
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_OctanePlugin
UE4Editor_OctanePlugin
octane
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ChrisHekman » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:48 am

ChrisHekman Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:48 am
Notiusweb wrote:Hi Chris, it does work!....almost....
Morph Targets on the character transfer over.
It is interesting, if I drag along the iClone timeline, and UE4 moves respectively in realtime, the Octane viewport perpetually renders like a constant realtime update, it never completes itself as a render.
It constantly runs pixelated, but you can see the matching blendshape in the image.

But then it will suddenly look like it is going to complete a frame, and it crashes UE4.

I am using 4.22.3 because iClone doesn't support 4.23 yet.... :x

UE4 Error

LoginId:5f684a39407181cb7126fe979a5c88c5
EpicAccountId:

Assertion failed: [File:D:\Build\++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RenderCore\Private\RenderResource.cpp] [Line: 151] A FRenderResource was deleted without being released first!

UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_RenderCore
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_OctanePlugin
UE4Editor_OctanePlugin
octane

Octane updates the model everytime unreal claims the mesh has changed. Which means that if iClone sets the SkeletonMesh to "dirty" octane will start rebuilding the mesh every frame update.
Ill check if i can figure out why the crash is happening. I was hoping I didnt have to learn how to use iClone, but alas.
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby acc24ex » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:05 pm

acc24ex Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:05 pm
imported the orbx scene, and it was rotated by 90 degrees, and no materials assigned, and generic texture names, model had multi materials..

..is it ever going to have applied materials at all, since this seems to require making materials and assigning the textures all manually.. PITA, but still a bit better then nothing
[size=85]3dmax, zbrush, UE
//Behance profile //BOONAR
//Octane render toolbox 3dsmax
acc24ex
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Releases