German Translation

Forums: German Translation
SketchUp Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

German Translation

Postby dom » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:27 am

dom Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:27 am
Hi!

Thank you for developing Octane Render!

But the German translation of the Sketchup exporter is terrible. If you like (and I think it would be really much better!) please use the corrected/improved translation attached to this message. I am a native German speaker and can assure you that it is much better. E.g. to translate "face" with a human face is very confusing when Octane Render Exporter say "Exporting faces" but there are no humans in the scene! ;-) I think you shouldn't translate faces, it is a special computer graphics word. Please see the attached translation file.

Kind regards

Dominique
Attachments
OctaneDE.zip
better German translation
(2.59 KiB) Downloaded 266 times
dom
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: German Translation

Postby TIG » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:23 pm

TIG Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:23 pm
Thank you.

As I said when I published the lingvo files... I knew they would be far from perfect!
I don't even speak German!
I need native language speakers such as yourself to help improve them.
You could even write your own lingvos by following the guidance in the Help document - if for example you a were Russian!
I shall add your translations to the next release.
Meanwhile any German speakers who want your translations now can simply download your zip file and replace the equivalent files with yours... :geek:
PS: Presumably there is a word for 'Face' in German that you can apply to a 'Face' that forms a 'Surface' or 'Facet' in Sketchup ? That is the word we'd need...
know in French translations there is great debate about the correct word for Edge/Line as there are several alternatives too :roll:
TIG
TIG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby dom » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:38 am

dom Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:38 am
Yes, you are right, I thought about it and the correct translation for "Face" is probably "Fläche".

Face = Fläche
Edge = Kante
Vertex = Ecke

I made my diploma thesis in computer graphics (C++, OpenGL, QT) so I might be a little too much used to use the English words for these items. If you would like to translate it, you are right, there are German translations as stated above. :-)

I will see if I can find any "Faces" in the lingvo files and upload an updated ZIP file to this thread later.

Anyway it is great that it is so easy to correct these translations!
dom
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Burkhard » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:49 am

Burkhard Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:49 am
I have translated another Rendersoftware and it is not easy to find the sense inbetween.
Some words are dependent from what you mean. You can say Edge = Kante, but sometimes it is usefull to say line if you describe something.
Same for Vertices = Ecke. Scheitelpunkt could be also the right therm. Face is Fläche, but sometimes you can say Ebene.....
But dom is correct here.
MacPro Quad * 8Gig RAM * GTX 285 Mac Edition ( delete two GT120 to make it run with octane! ) * Snow Leopard 10.6
Burkhard
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby dom » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:05 am

dom Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:05 am
Oh yes, you are right, the translation of edges and vertices is probably not easy. My translation is also just a suggestion, if anyone wants to improve it, please don't hesitate to do it! It was just that I could not bear the existing translation ;-)

Luckily there were no edges or vertices in these files and I think "Fläche" is good for the one place in the octane plugin. I have translated the file of the "FixReversedFaceMaterials" plugin now, too (see attachement). I included also the changed "Fläche" translation in the attached ZIP file so you don't need the previous ZIP any more.

"FixReversedFaceMaterials" was already a very useful tool for me, thank you for this plugin!
Attachments
FixReversedFaceMaterials.zip
Translations for FixReversedFaceMaterials and a few improvements for the Octane Sketchup Plugin
(3.34 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
dom
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TIG » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:49 pm

TIG Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:49 pm
Thanks

I'll include these when I next update...
Meanwhile DE users can swap their files using yours...
TIG
TIG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to SketchUp