OctaneRender™ 2019.1.2

Forums: OctaneRender™ 2019.1.2
VIP Information, news and announcements regarding new Octane Render commercial products and releases.

Re: OctaneRender™ 2019.1.2 [current 2019.1.x]

Postby Jolbertoquini » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:54 pm

Jolbertoquini Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:54 pm
Silverwing wrote:Hi there to the Developers of Octane.

First of thanks a lot for all the time ans effort you pit in the steady development and making Octane better.

I am hoping to catch your attention just for a moment:

Upon testing the Universal Camera I compiled a list of (for me) essential features, and nice to haves:

Essential:
Please change the Aperture Texture be read at least gray-scale data (right now its binary either black or white). Color would be even better.
This is limiting in many ways as: Not being able to bring the subtleties that a lot of lenses have into the bokeh.
With color there is the possibility to simulate lens chromatic aberration by using bokeh maps like this:

Subtle Variations that a Bokeh map has that makes the render look infinitely more realistic:

aperture_map_realworld04.png

Bokeh for generating a lens chromatic aberration effect:

bokeh_RGB2_Tighter.jpg

Essential:
Being able to control the other aperture settings simultaneously to an Aperture Texture
Right now using an Aperture Texture disables Aperture Edge, Bokeh Side Count Bokeh roundness and all the other features.
So for example right now its impossible to have a Aperture Texture with a bokeh that has some uneven brightness contribution (Aperture Edge) since the texture is read in as binary black and white (not able to produce gradients) I can´t either set it inside the map nor can I set it in the Aperture Edge settings since it wont let me use those together with an Aperture Image.

Nice to have:
Lens Bokeh Cateye Effect (of course including using all the other effects combined with it)
Nice to have:
Dedicated lens chromatic aberration slider (That just splits your bokeh into colors so you get some aberration)

Nice to have:
When being able to use grayscale / color images inside the Aperture Map setting, rendering can get darker. Therefore a lot of render-engines that allow for Aperture Map use have brightness compensation built in, so your renderings brightness is not depended on the brightness level of your map[/list][/list].

I hope some of the changes could be implemented into 2019.1.x already. Or later in 2019.2

Thanks for your attention!
Cheers,
Raphael

I'm totally agree +1000 on this, right now I don't know if the lack of information about how to use "the aperture texture" feature, but is completely pointless doesn't change the bokeh and just give a mask black when use RGB ( I guess this all the point ) and use alpha image also doesn't change the bokeh? I look around and nothing on the "Manual" how to use, basically the Lua camera script from Lightwave section "texture aperture cam.osl" way better results and at least we get the bokeh modified.

Maybe is just me... but this case please update the Manual with some more information. would be great. Anybody there manage to make work on the end?

Cheers,
JO

PS. UPDATE
I realised with "OSL Delayed UV" is working but is not the defaut projection mode :( ... I guess need to be comment on the "Manual" would be helpful about it, and yes agree be able to add color bokeh would be amazing! :) Cheers
Octane Render for Maya.
https://vimeo.com/jocg/videos
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jocgtd
http://www.hmxmedia.com/
--------------------
Join MAYA OCTANE USERS Skype discussion here :
https://join.skype.com/LXEQaqqfN15w
Jolbertoquini
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby vijay » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:29 pm

vijay Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:29 pm
J.C wrote:Hello, thank you for the new release!

Can you tell us if shading errors with Vertex displacement (Auto bump) and Rounded edges will be fixed? They still exist in this release.

Hi, I'm currently looking into vertex displacement Auto bump map issue. Thanks
vijay
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby funk » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:21 am

funk Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:21 am
I have found a couple of issues with autobump too.

1. It removes any existing bump map. It should be mixed with any bumped map plugged into the bump pin

2. Sometimes the autobump effect is too strong. I would like to see an "autobump amount" pin, so we can reduce the amount of bump.
Win10 Pro/ Ryzen 5950X / 128GB / RTX 4090 / MODO
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby pegot » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:25 pm

pegot Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:25 pm
funk wrote:Sometimes the autobump effect is too strong. I would like to see an "autobump amount" pin, so we can reduce the amount of bump.

+1
Win 10
3.7Ghz i9 10900k / 64GB
ASUS STRIX Z490-E
PSU: PowerSpec 850Wd
RTX 3090 Asus Tuff

Network rendering:
Win 10
4.2Ghz i7 7700k / 64GB
AsRock SuperCarrier
PSU: EVGA 1200w
RTX 3080 Ti EVGA Hybrid
RTX 3080 ASUS Tuff
GTX 1080ti SC Black (wc)
pegot
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby vijay » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:49 pm

vijay Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:49 pm
funk wrote:I have found a couple of issues with autobump too.

1. It removes any existing bump map. It should be mixed with any bumped map plugged into the bump pin

2. Sometimes the autobump effect is too strong. I would like to see an "autobump amount" pin, so we can reduce the amount of bump.

I'll look into this. Thanks
vijay
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Jolbertoquini » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:19 am

Jolbertoquini Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:19 am
Hi Guys,

Me again about the same thing cause I didn't had any reply or help to understand the reasons behind if is a Maya Plug issue or a Standalone about Alembic instances?
The strange thing is Octane 3.06 works and other Octane not which makes the file huge cause doesn't recognize the instances as scatter nodes the file scene and the breakdown problem description is on the link here:

https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=71853&p=365558#p365558

Can somebody give us a light and a reply about it? the same issue on this version.

Regards,
JO
Octane Render for Maya.
https://vimeo.com/jocg/videos
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jocgtd
http://www.hmxmedia.com/
--------------------
Join MAYA OCTANE USERS Skype discussion here :
https://join.skype.com/LXEQaqqfN15w
Jolbertoquini
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby J.C » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:44 pm

J.C Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:44 pm
haze wrote:
J.C wrote:Clouds has intersecting issues when "Emulate old volume" is enabled.

The legacy volume rendering had issues like this, which is why we fixed it. To avoid breaking older scenes, we kept the option there so that existing scenes that may or may not rely on that behaviour don't get broken. For newer scenes please leave the emulate option disabled.

The legacy rendering still differs in 2019 compared to 2018.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CPU – i9 13900KF, 128GB RAM, GPU – RTX 4090
System – Windows 11
My Behance portfolio, Blender plugin FB support group
J.C
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby linograndiotoy » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:49 pm

linograndiotoy Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:49 pm
vijay_thirukonda wrote:
funk wrote:I have found a couple of issues with autobump too.

I'll look into this. Thanks

Hi Vijay!

I've noticed that Vertex Displacement doesn't work with Geometric Primitives anymore in 2019.1.2. When imported geometry is used, there are no issues.

Thanks!
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby haze » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:11 am

haze Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:11 am
J.C wrote:
haze wrote:
J.C wrote:Clouds has intersecting issues when "Emulate old volume" is enabled.

The legacy volume rendering had issues like this, which is why we fixed it. To avoid breaking older scenes, we kept the option there so that existing scenes that may or may not rely on that behaviour don't get broken. For newer scenes please leave the emulate option disabled.

The legacy rendering still differs in 2019 compared to 2018.

Thanks, fixed in next release.
haze
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby abstrax » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:55 am

abstrax Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:55 am
Zay wrote:Updated my slave PC to this version but when I start it, it shuts down immediately. Does the slave work on Win 7 ?

I just tried it here on my computer (Win 7) and the slave as well as the daemon work fine.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

PreviousNext

Return to Commercial Product News & Releases (Download here)