New daz beta adds native strand based hair

Forums: New daz beta adds native strand based hair
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: New daz beta adds native strand based hair

Postby face_off » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:28 am

face_off Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:28 am
Strand based hair just doesn't render, no matter how many times you load it or tessellate it with 1's, 2's or even 3's.
If you can send me a stand hair prop which does not render using the above method, I can take a closer look.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby RGUS » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:51 am

RGUS Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:51 am
face_off wrote:
Strand based hair just doesn't render, no matter how many times you load it or tessellate it with 1's, 2's or even 3's.
If you can send me a stand hair prop which does not render using the above method, I can take a closer look.

Paul

PM link sent Paul
WEB: http://rgus.deviantart.com/
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti
RAM: 64GB
CPU: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K 3.20 GHz
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 11 Pro
OCTANE PLUGIN VERSION: 2022.1..1.302 Prime
DAZ STUDIO VERSION: 4.21.0.5 Pro Edition (64 bit)
RGUS
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:06 am

face_off Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:06 am
PM link sent Paul
Thanks for sending through the hair sample. As you reported, it does not render in Octane. Octane is rendering the scalp and the bow, but not the hair. For some reason DAZStudio is not providing polygon for this particular hair prop, and from the plugin side is it not possible to determine why. Unfortunately I don't think is something I can fix at the plugin end. In the long term the plugin needs to be modified to support DAZStudio strand hair. Sorry I can't offer better news.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby RGUS » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:20 am

RGUS Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:20 am
face_off wrote:
PM link sent Paul
Thanks for sending through the hair sample. As you reported, it does not render in Octane. Octane is rendering the scalp and the bow, but not the hair. For some reason DAZStudio is not providing polygon for this particular hair prop, and from the plugin side is it not possible to determine why. Unfortunately I don't think is something I can fix at the plugin end. In the long term the plugin needs to be modified to support DAZStudio strand hair. Sorry I can't offer better news.

Paul

Bugger... I guess the merchants are all gonna use this method for hair now... makes Octane for Studio even less inviting. On well, nothings forever.
Thanks Paul.
WEB: http://rgus.deviantart.com/
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti
RAM: 64GB
CPU: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K 3.20 GHz
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 11 Pro
OCTANE PLUGIN VERSION: 2022.1..1.302 Prime
DAZ STUDIO VERSION: 4.21.0.5 Pro Edition (64 bit)
RGUS
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TRRazor » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:20 pm

TRRazor Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:20 pm
It's absolutely unacceptable, that a key feature - that DAZ3D also is marketing as one - is not being picked up, by the OCDS-plug-in.
For as long as we could, we did accept key features of OctaneRender not carrying over to the OCDS-plug-in, but features, that do come with the host application? Not at all, this needs to change, and I'm kindly asking somebody from Otoy to please look into this.
W10 64 bit | i7 3770K | MSI Geforce RTX 2080 (8GB) + GTX Titan Black (6GB) | 32 GB DDR3 RAM
TRRazor
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby birdovous » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:48 pm

birdovous Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:48 pm
TRRazor wrote:It's absolutely unacceptable, that a key feature - that DAZ3D also is marketing as one - is not being picked up, by the OCDS-plug-in.
For as long as we could, we did accept key features of OctaneRender not carrying over to the OCDS-plug-in, but features, that do come with the host application? Not at all, this needs to change, and I'm kindly asking somebody from Otoy to please look into this.

Unfortunately it is not just about the strand based hair. Lately it feels like the more features are added either to the Octane render itself or DAZ Studio, the less usable the DAZ plugin becomes as it lacks support for those. :(
Birdovous
Master: Core i7 2600K, 32GB RAM, 2x EVGA GTX Titan X (SC)
Slave 1: Core i5 4460, 16GB RAM, 2x EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
Slave 2: Core i7 9700K, 64GB RAM, 2x ASUS RTX 2080 Ti
birdovous
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TRRazor » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:11 am

TRRazor Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:11 am
The excuse, that face_off took over development of a totally neglected plug-in several years ago, really isn't a valid excuse anymore at this point.
OCDS lacks so many features, that it's nothing but an insult to paying customers who are now being asked to shell out the exact same amount of cash, than for the fully fledged 3DS, C4D or Maya plug-ins.

As mentioned above, not only does it not support key features from its host application but frequently misses features from new OctaneRender iterations.

A full re-code is much needed, something that can be built upon on in the same way, in which the other plug-ins are developed in. And if face_off isn't the right person to be handling this, since he has too much work on his hands by caring for the other plug-ins, then bring somebody else in, to support him.
At this point, it really needs Otoy's attention, it can't carry on like this any longer.
W10 64 bit | i7 3770K | MSI Geforce RTX 2080 (8GB) + GTX Titan Black (6GB) | 32 GB DDR3 RAM
TRRazor
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:50 am

face_off Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:50 am
TRRazor wrote:The excuse, that face_off took over development of a totally neglected plug-in several years ago, really isn't a valid excuse anymore at this point.
OCDS lacks so many features, that it's nothing but an insult to paying customers who are now being asked to shell out the exact same amount of cash, than for the fully fledged 3DS, C4D or Maya plug-ins.

As mentioned above, not only does it not support key features from its host application but frequently misses features from new OctaneRender iterations.

A full re-code is much needed, something that can be built upon on in the same way, in which the other plug-ins are developed in. And if face_off isn't the right person to be handling this, since he has too much work on his hands by caring for the other plug-ins, then bring somebody else in, to support him.
At this point, it really needs Otoy's attention, it can't carry on like this any longer.
I have been keeping OTOY updated on the issues with the plugin, and the features that are missing, so they are aware of the problem.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby TRRazor » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:44 pm

TRRazor Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:44 pm
I have been keeping OTOY updated on the issues with the plugin, and the features that are missing, so they are aware of the problem.

Thanks for the heads-up, Paul.

Again: My posts are not meant to criticize your work and support for OCDS in any way shape or form. It's just, that something needs to happen and it can't be done by you alone. Otoy needs to realize, that help is needed and that they need to support you more with this.
It'd be a shame to see the potential OCDS has, go to waste...
TRRazor
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Sorel » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:46 pm

Sorel Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:46 pm
TRRazor wrote:

Thanks for the heads-up, Paul.

Again: My posts are not meant to criticize your work and support for OCDS in any way shape or form. It's just, that something needs to happen and it can't be done by you alone. Otoy needs to realize, that help is needed and that they need to support you more with this.
It'd be a shame to see the potential OCDS has, go to waste...

My thoughts exactly. I'm hoping otoy steps up. I really love this renderer, I'd hate to downgrade to iray.
Sorel
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to DAZ Studio