Workflow with other 3D Programms

Forums: Workflow with other 3D Programms
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Workflow with other 3D Programms

Postby Kanne » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:52 pm

Kanne Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:52 pm
Hi,

I've modeled an interior scene in C4D and wanted to import this scene in Daz3D. I've exported this scene as .obj and textured it in the standalone of octane. When i try to import the .orbx or osc into Daz3D i'am getting the OctaneRender: Error "Unable to import multiple materials, import aborted". I guess this is due to some incompatibilty between Standalone and Plugin. Maybe because i grouped nodes in the standalone?
My next try was to texture it directly in Daz3D. Somehow with similiar materials and render-settings it appears to render much slower than in the standalone and to steup materials is less comfortable than in the standalone.

My reasons for this workflow:
- for me its easier and more comfortable to texture in the Standalone than in Daz3D because of the node-system. The local material organisation is more comfortable as well.
- i wanted to render in Daz3D because i can change poses on the fly and don't need to export everytime.

Standalone Version: 4.02.1
Daz3D Plugin: R2019.1.0.45

What would be your best practice for importing enviroments to Daz3D for octane?

Kind regards.

Edit: I guess the mentioned error allways appears if there are multiple materials in the scene. i can export them one by one as .orbx and import them one by one into Daz3D but thats not really fun.
Kanne
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Workflow with other 3D Programms

Postby face_off » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:12 am

face_off Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:12 am
Hi

The DAZStudio plugin will not import geometry and other data from an ORBX, other than materials. And even when importing materials, you will need the ORBX setup a certain way so there is only one material in the ORBX. I doubt any users are setting up materials in Standalone and then importing into DAZStudio.

Somehow with similiar materials and render-settings it appears to render much slower than in the standalone and to steup materials is less comfortable than in the standalone.
They should render at similar speeds. Perhaps you have different Kernel or lighting settings.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Kanne » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:00 pm

Kanne Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:00 pm
Hi,

thank you for your response paul.

I exported each material in an orbx and recreated the render settings exactly and it really seems to render at similiar speeds. I guess i made something different before. I'm sorry for my fault interpreation!

face_off wrote: I doubt any users are setting up materials in Standalone and then importing into DAZStudio.

I thoughed it would be common to create materials in the stand-alone and share them across the different plugins. Is it possible to create material-library across different plugins?

I'm thinking about subscribing to the c4d-octane plugin as well, but if i can't exchange scenes between Daz3D and C4D without recreating the materials, it's not really reasonable for me.

I guess i need to adapt my workflow then.

Thank you.
Last edited by Kanne on Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kanne
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby frankmci » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:40 pm

frankmci Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:40 pm
Kanne wrote:I thoughed it would be common to create materials in the stand-alone and share them across the different plugins. Is it possible to create material-library across different plugins?

Have you used the LiveDB/LocalDB? It does exactly what you are talking about.
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Kanne » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:06 pm

Kanne Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:06 pm
frankmci wrote:
Kanne wrote:I thoughed it would be common to create materials in the stand-alone and share them across the different plugins. Is it possible to create material-library across different plugins?

Have you used the LiveDB/LocalDB? It does exactly what you are talking about.

I know about LiveDB but i don't want to upload each material if i dont think it would help others and dont spam the LiveDB.

About LocalDB. I've seen this tab in the standalone, but not in the daz3d plugin or in the c4d plugin.
I guess in the daz3d plugin the "My Presets" section in the octane materials tab would be something similiar but they are not synced with the LocalDB of the standalone. Even in the c4d plugin i would have to import each orbx-material, don't i? (Except they are already in c4d-libs)

Did i miss there something? Have i overseen that? Where would i find that in the plugins?

Kind regards.

Edit: I came by another unexpected behavior. I imported the .orbx materials assigned them to surfaces and they rendered just fine. I saved the scene and even stored the materials as presets and closed daz. After the next restart the presets are still there and have a rendered preview, but i can't assign them to any surface. And the assigned materials in the scene are gone aswell.
Kanne
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:17 pm

face_off Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:17 pm
If you click the Import button on the Material tab in the DAZStudio plugin, you should be able to load an ORBX from your LocalDb folder.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Kanne » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:20 pm

Kanne Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:20 pm
Thats what i have been doing so far. I thoughed frankmci meant there maybe would be a visually representation of the LocalDB in the plugin too.
Kanne
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to DAZ Studio