Procedural textures used on Volumetrics not animating

Forums: Procedural textures used on Volumetrics not animating
Newtek Lightwave 3D (exporter developed by holocube, Integrated Plugin developed by juanjgon)

Moderator: juanjgon

Procedural textures used on Volumetrics not animating

Postby dsol21 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:42 pm

dsol21 Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:42 pm
Hi, I've trying to animate some moving ground fog on a shot, using an Octane Procedural Volume. I've linked a Lightwave turbulence node to the scattering input and animated the position of the fog, so it slides across shot in time (and you can see the animating texture in the node editor preview!)
But when I set it off rendering, it looks like the texture node isn't re-evaluated every frame - it only does it on the first frame then stays locked for the rest of the render. I noticed this because I stopped a render, and when I restarted it , the fog "jumped" at the point where it started rendering again.
Is there a solution to this, or is it a bug that needs fixing?
dsol21
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Procedural textures used on Volumetrics not animating

Postby dsol21 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:03 pm

dsol21 Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:03 pm
ProcVolumeNodes.PNG

Here's the node setup for the volume object (the item info is getting position of a moving null I've put in the scene)
dsol21
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby dsol21 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:53 pm

dsol21 Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:53 pm
I've got it to work, but at a cost. There's a "update Volumetrics" tickbox in the Render Target. However, this appears to force Octane to re-initialise ALL volumetrics on every frame, and as I've got a couple of large (static) VDBs in my scene, it's bringing render times to a crawl.
Is there any way to "force updates" on a per-object basis? I don't know if this is a limitation of Octane, or the specific implementation in Lightwave
dsol21
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:55 pm

juanjgon Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:55 pm
Hi,

Yes, sorry. Currently, the LightWave plugin doesn't allow to configure objects lists for the scene update system, so if you enable the update volumetrics option, all the volumes are going to be updated. In any case, the OpenVDB files should be loaded by Octane really fast, but if somehow they need some time to be pre-processed, I'm afraid that there is no solution for this issue currently.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby dsol21 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:11 pm

dsol21 Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:11 pm
Thanks for getting back to me Juanjo - It would be amazing if this might make its way into a future update. Maybe as an option in the actual Lightwave volume object setup itself (rather than as a separate list).

Many thanks
dsol21
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Lightwave 3D