Wrong reply from server

Forums: Wrong reply from server
VIP Information, news and announcements regarding new Octane Render commercial products and releases.

Re: Wrong reply from server

Postby thedreamers » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:51 am

thedreamers Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:51 am
Totally agree with steveps3...i've bought octane license and stopped using it because of those changes.

Losing customers it's not a good point at all, imho.
Win 7 x64 | Geforce 9800GTX+ | Quad 3.0GHz | 6GB
thedreamers
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby radiance » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:10 am

radiance Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:10 am
Just wait what the future of octane live will bring in a few months and you'll love it, I promise that to you.

Radiance
Win 7 x64 & ubuntu | 2x GTX480 | Quad 2.66GHz | 8GB
radiance

Postby Andrew Mitchell » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:22 pm

Andrew Mitchell Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:22 pm
dave62 wrote:yep always that license discussion.. just why..

"we're just making sure we don't fold due to piracy and we are preparing for the future."

@ radiance

Reading this thread proofs my scepsis about your licensing system. Must be absolute horror: there is some deadline from your client and all you got is an unreliable software which might fail due to selfmade problems.
What exactly are you preparing for the future?
I am a little afraid that i didn´t bought some software and in near future youl´ll change you licensing system and i got to pay for each minute it runs..., or maybe sell it to the big bad uncle?
Once again i got to emphasize that dongles work very well, so please tell us the true reason for your licensing way,
which is obviously (reading all those posts) not customerfriendly. Or do you really think it is?
You know the best that iam not the onlyone who dislikes this licensing, btw you´ll never get to know how many peolple wont buy octane due to your licensing. I know a lot of friends who would not buy octane due to the restrictive license. (Also i am not shure if your licensing method would even completly corralate with the germans law)
Just count the time you spend for your Licensing instead of render-related code. There are also a lot commercial licensing-modules to buy, you dont have to build from scratch for yourself.
I am the last one who would use ilegal software, but i thing that nothing is unhackable, not a dongle nor your "live account sys" -its just a matter of time. As a "licensed customer" i would even prefer to pay more for your software, just for a litle bit more independency..
I dont want to end like tied up cow at a farm using your software.

Best regards dave

Sadly I have to agree with this...

I will be happy to use Octane as a hobby/personal renderer, but as the licensing stands right now in the current beta (and from my understanding, the final release) I cannot use Octane in my classrooms or labs, nor will I be able to in the future.

I respect your desire to curb piracy, but a licensing setup similar to Ubisofts is not compatible with our setup or workflow.
Simuviz
Andrew Mitchell
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby radiance » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:16 pm

radiance Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:16 pm
You guys don't understand and i probably did'nt explain right, but octanelive is going to include more services for free,
we're not going to change anything, prices, licenses, or any other requirements.

BTW, can you read your gmail without an internet connection ? i can't ;)

Radiance
radiance

Postby dave62 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:37 pm

dave62 Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:37 pm
@ radiance

THX:)
that made my day when i read:

OctaneLive® Automated licensing system & Customer Area FAQ
"....However, we are developing a new secure solution to enable mobile use of OctaneRender® v1.0+, without the requirement of an internet connection."

Great news:)))))))))))))))
THX A LOT!!
Jippie!!! Great!!! super!!
octane rock on!

happydave
- Mint 10 64bit nvidia drv 260.19.29/cudatoolkit3.0 intel q6600, 4gbRAM, GTX470 1,2GB
- Mint 10 64bit/ Win7 64bit nvidia drv 260.19.29/cudatoolkit3.2 amd X6, 16gbRAM, 2x GTX580 3GB
->Octane 2.44/ Blender2.5x
dave62
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby radiance » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:52 am

radiance Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:52 am
Sorry guys, i'm under a bit of stress, we're finishing 2.3 v6, then the RCs for v1.0 final,
and the opening of our US office.

To all the 'octanelive = DRM' skeptics, 2.1 was the first version that gave me the opportunity to hire my first co-developer, this was 3 months after i opened the website.
2.2 was hacked and sales stopped, thereby ending octane and the promised v1.0.

Therefore i created OctaneLive earlier (but starting with the security system, adding the features in pieces during the next years), and it worked, sales were restored, more developers joined and sales are now better than ever and the artists (the top octane users) like it. (the ones who use it professionally), and keep in mind that it's not finished yet. (octanelive)

Also, octane is commercial software, if you buy it, you have the right to use it, and own the physical materials (eg v1.0 final boxed editions), just like games.
We have the right to adapt our development roadmap during beta phases to make sure we can deliver our promises as explained above. If we did not introduce octanelive, we'd have to wipe out the whole roadmap, and that would have made a much bigger PR disaster.

octanelive was a great move to save us from not being able to finish v1.0.

You (the skeptics) may think it's just a restrictive copyright system but it's not, actually, you don't need to buy 2 or 3 licenses anymore, just one. one for work, home and your laptop.
That's 1 license instead of a 3 pack, and no more 3x activation via email.
The content sharing is just the beginning, soon you'll realize what the next additional functionality is as i've been composing it in my mind since a few years.

I simply cannot tell more as this will only leak pre-maturely to our competitors, who are reading these posts too.

We will be offering a secure version of octane in a few months that won't require an internet connection. I cannot promise an exact date as there are quite a bit of variables involved, and i'd like to announce a perfectly stable and working v1.0 that will hopefully be 2x as fast as 2.3 v5 as we still have a long list of final optimizations to do ;)

And please, do me a favor as i'm working overtime and i make many mistakes, if you see the amount of mails, PMs and posts i reply/type every day, you'll understand that i often make typos and mistakes in english, which is my 3rd language. (i'm belgian, i speak dutch and french)
So analyzing posts for hours and finding contradictions is normal.

Yours,
Radiance
radiance

Postby EricDesign » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:39 pm

EricDesign Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:39 pm
Just one thing octane render made cool stuff and stable software , i use octane for commercial work and private work and is very stable at this time and is the best render engine i never use for the time render .
so if some time the server activation is down no problem i have coffee break in my job or i relax in my house :)

so keep up your very nice work :D

sorry him french Canadian :)
i5 7400 / 2 x GTX980Ti / 32gig ram

http://ericdesign.info
EricDesign
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby foxid » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:28 am

foxid Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:28 am
Offline Octane! At laaast. Love u, guys!
q6600 gtx275 4gbRAM Win 7x86
foxid
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Commercial Product News & Releases (Download here)