OctaneRender™ 2020.1.3 for Blender® 2.83 - new free tier!

Forums: OctaneRender™ 2020.1.3 for Blender® 2.83 - new free tier!
Read about News and Updates regarding Octane Render in this forum.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: OctaneRender™ 2019 for Blender® 2.8 - new free tier!

Postby showme » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:49 pm

showme Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:49 pm
Oh ok, should've tested past that stage indeed. It is however limited to 1 GPU, I read in several outside posts that it would potentially support 2 GPU's under this free tier?
Can't nag about it because it's a free tier anyway, I just want to know if it's going to expand to 2 GPU's or if this will only be possible under the All-Access bundle license.

If this is the case I seems best to just use the free tier for scene preparation inside of Blender and port the file over via orbx to the licensed standalone version which makes use of all GPU's in the system, no?

showme
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Dave_MW » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:50 pm

Dave_MW Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:50 pm
Cannot add nodes in the shading room for some reason. The drop down is empty.
Dave_MW

Postby eisklotz » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:12 pm

eisklotz Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:12 pm
azen wrote:
eisklotz wrote:I have a GeForce 970 and a 1070 but they are not available. Why?

Hello eisklotz,

Could you confirm whether you have OctaneRender Engine enabled in your User Preferences? You will find it in User Preferences under "Add-ons". It is possible that checkbox for this option was unticked by default upon initial installation.

Cheers,
Azen

I got it. Had to go to the Octane preferences and activate my GPU.
eisklotz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby johannes.wilde » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:25 pm

johannes.wilde Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:25 pm
Hey!
Thanks for this great Renderer! For me it works quite well, but the viewport renders look much brighter than final renders(as if viewport always uses direct light, even if i switch to path tracing). That makes it kind of difficult to find the right lighting for a scene.
Cheers,

Johannes
johannes.wilde
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby adrencg » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:56 pm

adrencg Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:56 pm
Can I get some help setting this up? I followed the directions but when I try to render I get a message saying "not connected. No renderserver at address …"

It seems counterintuitive to stop the server before running Blender as the directions say.
Ryzen 5950x
128GB Ram
RTX 3070 x 3
adrencg
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BinGuru » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:08 pm

BinGuru Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:08 pm
How do i activate my gpu to use octane properly?

BinGuru

Postby 2visible » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:10 pm

2visible Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:10 pm
daryl.dunlap wrote:Thanks, I'm able to see "some" render output now, but its not what's expected. From what I can tell, the render (F12) is in interactive mode as it never cleans, its as if each pass is starting over from the beginning, firing a single sample.....instead of the noise resolving, it swims.

i had this issue. the problem was that preview render was still working. after stoping it, the final render worked as expected.
Win 8 64 | Geforce GTX670 2GB | GeForce GTX780 6GB | i7 2600k | RAM 24GB
2visible
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby showme » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:22 pm

showme Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:22 pm
adrencg wrote:Can I get some help setting this up? I followed the directions but when I try to render I get a message saying "not connected. No renderserver at address …"

It seems counterintuitive to stop the server before running Blender as the directions say.

I just had to make sure the server was running BEFORE launching this special version of "Blender for Octane". Meaning, the OctaneServer was in the system tray (it doesn't do much other than that visually).
Then in Blender goto Add-ons and make sure OctaneRender Engine is enabled.

Then select Octane as your Render Engine in the Context: Render icon (the camera-icon) and start messing around with it. Do make sure you have an octane material and octane environment set up as it doesn't seem to interpret anything from Blender materials or environment setup.

--

What's the best place to report bugs for this version? Here's a few I came across so far:

- On area lights created after firing Octane up, I had to switch to some different light-types and scale the light up before it became visible in the octane render (both the light rays and the light itself).
- Now after doing a test-render and cancelling it (F12 to the Image Editor) and then rotating the scene afterwards the preview is no longer updating until I switched to lookdev and renderer again. Nothing too disturbing though as far as previewing goes: ( you can see the scene was rotated again after cancelling the render)

There does seem to be something wrong with doing an actual render indeed, as the image is not cleaning up like the preview is and just stays at the noisy result making the noise shift around a bit over time but not resuting in a cleaner result.

edit: aha the next comment solved this issue indeed, so the current workaround is that the preview should be stopped before rendering in order to continue tweaking afterwards, thanks for the tip Daryl!
Last edited by showme on Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:36 pm, edited 6 times in total.
showme
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby daryl.dunlap » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:23 pm

daryl.dunlap Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:23 pm
2visible wrote:
daryl.dunlap wrote:Thanks, I'm able to see "some" render output now, but its not what's expected. From what I can tell, the render (F12) is in interactive mode as it never cleans, its as if each pass is starting over from the beginning, firing a single sample.....instead of the noise resolving, it swims.

i had this issue. the problem was that preview render was still working. after stoping it, the final render worked as expected.

Okay, good to know there's a workaround - but this is still a bug I'd think. A render (F12) event should restart the rendering process.
daryl.dunlap
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby adrencg » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:00 pm

adrencg Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:00 pm
showme wrote:
adrencg wrote:Can I get some help setting this up? I followed the directions but when I try to render I get a message saying "not connected. No renderserver at address …"

I just had to make sure the server was running BEFORE launching this special version of "Blender for Octane". Meaning, the OctaneServer was in the system tray (it doesn't do much other than that visually).
Then in Blender goto Add-ons and make sure OctaneRender Engine is enabled.

Then select Octane as your Render Engine in the Context: Render icon (the camera-icon) and start messing around with it. Do make sure you have an octane material and octane environment set up as it doesn't seem to interpret anything from Blender materials or environment setup.

--

What's the best place to report bugs for this version? Here's a few I came across so far:

- On area lights created after firing Octane up, I had to switch to some different light-types and scale the light up before it became visible in the octane render (both the light rays and the light itself).
- Now after doing a test-render and cancelling it (F12 to the Image Editor) and then rotating the scene afterwards the preview is no longer updating until I switched to lookdev and renderer again. Nothing too disturbing though as far as previewing goes: ( you can see the scene was rotated again after cancelling the render)

There does seem to be something wrong with doing an actual render indeed, as the image is not cleaning up like the preview is and just stays at the noisy result making the noise shift around a bit over time but not resuting in a cleaner result.

edit: aha the next comment solved this issue indeed, so the current workaround is that the preview should be stopped before rendering in order to continue tweaking afterwards, thanks for the tip Daryl!

Thanks for the help, but when I try to run the Octane server I get a message saying "could not find the required license".
Ryzen 5950x
128GB Ram
RTX 3070 x 3
adrencg
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements