Octane Render Caustic is So slow.And no multipliers settings

Forums: Octane Render Caustic is So slow.And no multipliers settings
Sub forum for bug reports
Forum rules
Before posting a bug report, please check the following:
1. That the issue has not already been disclosed
2. That the issue is specific to this plugin, and not Octane in general (Try reproducing it in Standalone)
Bugs related to the Octane Engine itself should be posted into the Standalone Support sub-forum.

All bug reports should include the information below, along with a detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce it.
A. Operating System, including version (i.e. Win 7, OSX 10.11.2, Ubuntu 14.04, etc.)
B. Graphics Card(s) model (i.e. GTX 580 - 3GB, TITAN, etc.)
C. RAM Capacity (i.e. 6 GB)
D. Nvidia driver version (i.e. 7.50, 7.5.22)
E. OctaneRender Standalone version, if installed (i.e. 2.24.2, 2.23, etc.)
F. OctaneRender plugin version (i.e. v2.25 - 2.21)
G. Host application version, including build number if available (i.e. 3ds Max 2016 Build 18.0)

Octane Render Caustic is So slow.And no multipliers settings

Postby candemirdesign » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:42 am

candemirdesign Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:42 am
I tried lots of render engines.
Iray
Vray
Redshift
Maxwell etc.
Octane render too.

in my tries , I found is most detailed adjustments and fast and high quality caustic are in Vray.
I spent 480 minutes(8 hour) to take a enough quality render with octane.
Vray takes in just 3 minutes.
Extreme differences.

My machine : 4x gtx 970 .İntel xeon 5650 4ghz 6core 12 HT Virtural core.
Octane render version 2019.1 rc3 8.04

Scene Details:
3000 pixel x 3000 pixel resolution image
PMC kernel
Diffuse Depth 30
Specular Depth 30
Direct light imp. 0
Octane sun lighting(sigle light source)
with a high poly perfume bottle model is laying on a plane surface.(single model)

Actually very simple scene
I noticed octane render has some weak sides must improve for close to be an real art tool.

1-Octane has no caustic photon multiplier setting for each light. if its hard to program it a global multiplier can be helpful in a quick way.We must find a way to multiplier caustic.
2-Octane has no caustic light photon power multiplier setting.This setting make the renders so beautiful and breath taking in some scenes.
3-Octane no AI Light based accelerated caustic calculation on path-tracing.This is a giant and step forward technologie.

Octane render needs these features "caustic photon multiplier" and "caustic light power multiplier" at first.Example This is urgent for me.
AI based caustic calculation on path-tracing maybe need a deep program re-writing.It can be solve it later.
But path trace must be much faster than Pmc is optimized correctly.

Vray is not a right comparation for octane I know.Octane is more realistic than vray.Means takes more time.
But at the end : I need to say taking a very very good caustic result in just 30 seconds(900x900pixels)in Vray.
Really So impressive and it gave me a shock and disappointment me as a octane fanatic.

For forum users may want to help me or want to test the scene.I upload the file 3dmax 2014 saved.If you know a way to make it faster please
Link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kaq26f9k9jsog ... 0.max?dl=0

Thanks

Interior Designer
Veysel Can Demir
Candemir.portfoliobox.me
candemirdesign
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Octane Render Caustic is So slow.And no multipliers settings

Postby paride4331 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:54 pm

paride4331 Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:54 pm
Hi candemirdesign,
Octane render is an unbiased render, it need important rules for working correctly.
your scene is completely out of scale with no unit of measurement, you are using unreal hidden lights and using the physical sun at 500 power, you are also using the wrong materials (if you want to get caustics mixing specular and diffuse material is not the right way).
This screenshot is a PT 7 min GTX1070 render.
https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=56569&hilit=caustic&start=10#p290648
Regards
Paride
Attachments
09.jpg
2 x Evga Titan X Hybrid / 3 x Evga RTX 2070 super Hybrid
paride4331
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Return to Bug Reports