How to add a non-repeating image to an object?

Forums: How to add a non-repeating image to an object?
Blender (Export script developed by yoyoz; Integrated Plugin developed by JimStar)

Re: How to add a non-repeating image to an object?

Postby justavisitor » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:31 pm

justavisitor Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:31 pm
J.C wrote:Using Octane Baking Texture will help. Set repeating to Clamp and texture type to HDR linear space.
The attachment texture clamp displacement.png is no longer available

Thank you again, J.C.!

I tried the setup here, but perhaps I did something wrong:
unwantedRepeatsArtifacts.PNG

At any rate, Boolean is probably better for this, since edges can be smoother.

(I thought Displacement perhaps could create a soft edge between object and text if the text were blurry, but that didn't seem to work...)
Attachments
BlenderUnwantedRepeatDownload.blend
(851.68 KiB) Downloaded 136 times
Latest OctaneRender for Blender. Windows 10, i7 quad 3.7GHz, 16GB, 2xTitan.
justavisitor
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby justavisitor » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:49 pm

justavisitor Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:49 pm
ChrisH wrote:Hi justavisitor

The problem is that the Displacement node (sadly) ignores the border mode (see: viewtopic.php?f=114&t=70858&hilit=Displacement#p360412 it's the same in the latest [test] version as well).
So while it works fine for other texturing with white/black/clamp color border, the Displacement node will always "wrap around".

The only way I can think of to get around it is to manually added wide borders to the texture in an image editor, and then adjust the UV map.

As for the jagged edges, change the Filter type (third drop down of the Displacement node) to Box or Gaussian and then increase the Filter Radius.

Thank you, ChrisH,
I had tried the Gaussian before -- but not also increasing the Filter Radius! And that really makes a difference!

For some reason, it's particularly smooth when the resolution is low in the Displacement node; there are really lots of possibilities in this!

Also, thanks for the suggestion of adding borders to the image, that should work!
justavisitor
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ChrisH » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:52 pm

ChrisH Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:52 pm
I think your problem with the edges might also be because your using an image with alpha.
The Image Texture Node doesn't support Alpha (To get Alpha you need the Alpha Image Texture).

Often when you save an image with Alpha the actual color data includes "bleeds" of the color outside the "alpha border", how blocky it is depends on the shapes in the image.
OctTranspImg.png

ETA:
This is from your file, the Green area is based on the Alpha of your image, the blue is the (black) color from the image (combined using mix nodes in Octane Blender)
OctAlpha.png
Last edited by ChrisH on Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Windows 10 Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 2100X 8 core 3.70GHz - 32GB RAM - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
Octane Prime - Blender Plugin user

Metal IOR values for Octane (with .blend library): https://chris.hindefjord.se/resources/rgb-ior-metals/
ChrisH
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby justavisitor » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:23 pm

justavisitor Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:23 pm
ChrisH wrote:I think your problem with the edges might also be because your using an image with alpha.
The Image Texture Node doesn't support Alpha (To get Alpha you need the Alpha Image Texture).

Often when you save an image with Alpha the actual color data includes "bleeds" of the color outside the "alpha border", how blocky it is depends on the shapes in the image.

Great point!

But I just tried text with a white background, and also tried a .jpg to be sure the .png-alpha wouldn't mess it up, and I'm afraid the edges still look like this:
JaggedEdges.PNG

But again, I'll definitely use the Gaussian/Filter option!
justavisitor
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby J.C » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:13 pm

J.C Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:13 pm
Why are you not using real geometry instead of displacement? Quality will be 10 times better.
CPU – i9 13900KF, 128GB RAM, GPU – RTX 4090
System – Windows 11
My Behance portfolio, Blender plugin FB support group
J.C
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ChrisH » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:30 pm

ChrisH Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:30 pm
The Displacement in Octane can be a bit "weird".

Some things that might be worth to note:

• A Texture that has sharp transitions between max & min (etc) are more likely to result in weird artifacts. Textures with gradients/soft transitions (between extreme values) tends to work better.
  • Greater height values are more likely to create artifacts
  • Using the Displacement node can create "split edges"/holes in the mesh.
  • Artifacts can appear at different places depending on the angle etc of the camera (see below)
  • Increasing the Ray Epsilon" value (in the Kernel Settings) might decrease (some of) the artifacts.

This shows the same part of the object, the only difference is that I moved the view so the D was more in the center in the right image:
OctDisp_1n2.png
Windows 10 Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 2100X 8 core 3.70GHz - 32GB RAM - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
Octane Prime - Blender Plugin user

Metal IOR values for Octane (with .blend library): https://chris.hindefjord.se/resources/rgb-ior-metals/
ChrisH
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby justavisitor » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:09 pm

justavisitor Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:09 pm
ChrisH wrote:The Displacement in Octane can be a bit "weird".

Some things that might be worth to note:

• A Texture that has sharp transitions between max & min (etc) are more likely to result in weird artifacts. Textures with gradients/soft transitions (between extreme values) tends to work better.
  • Greater height values are more likely to create artifacts
  • Using the Displacement node can create "split edges"/holes in the mesh.
  • Artifacts can appear at different places depending on the angle etc of the camera (see below)
  • Increasing the Ray Epsilon" value (in the Kernel Settings) might decrease (some of) the artifacts.

This shows the same part of the object, the only difference is that I moved the view so the D was more in the center in the right image:
OctDisp_1n2.png

Thank you for the crash course in textures as they relate to Displacement!

I played around with the Kernel settings, and I also tried less contrasting images with smoother transitions between black and white, but I think the "split edges" you mention are probably the reason for these issues. So for now, I think the Gaussian filter is the best method I've seen for my purposes.

Regarding camera placement: Yes, I deliberately stress-tested the Displacement method and looked for the absolutely worst camera angles. :) I could probably have gotten away with it in the right light -- I just try to get it as right as possible from the start, so there won't be too many unpleasant surprises along the way...
justavisitor
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby justavisitor » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:17 pm

justavisitor Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:17 pm
J.C wrote:Why are you not using real geometry instead of displacement? Quality will be 10 times better.

That's a super good question! :)

The thing is I need to make a lot of text. So I have to use a method that provides a tolerable compromise between time and quality.

The Boolean modifier probably gives the cleanest result, especially when followed by the Edge Split modifier.

But the problem with that solution is that text edges can't be smoothed, subdivided, beveled or otherwise softened.

That's why I tried Displacement instead...

But please let me know if I'm missing something...
justavisitor
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby J.C » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:29 am

J.C Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:29 am
justavisitor wrote:
But the problem with that solution is that text edges can't be smoothed, subdivided, beveled or otherwise softened.

That's why I tried Displacement instead...

But please let me know if I'm missing something...

Before you extrude and cut a hole, with text mesh, using booleans make sure the text has enough polygons to look smooth. After this you can apply boolean and bevel modifiers.
boolBevelText.png
System – Windows 11
J.C
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby J.C » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:42 am

J.C Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:42 am
justavisitor wrote:
J.C wrote:Using Octane Baking Texture will help. Set repeating to Clamp and texture type to HDR linear space.

Thank you again, J.C.!

I tried the setup here, but perhaps I did something wrong:

At any rate, Boolean is probably better for this, since edges can be smoother.

(I thought Displacement perhaps could create a soft edge between object and text if the text were blurry, but that didn't seem to work...)

Strange issue. I can't recreate this again :/
System – Windows 11
J.C
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Blender