Octane crashes houdini to desktop on random frames of anim

Forums: Octane crashes houdini to desktop on random frames of anim
Sub forum for bug reports

Moderator: juanjgon

Forum rules
Before posting a bug report, please check the following:
1. That the issue has not already been disclosed
2. That the issue is specific to this plugin, and not Octane in general (Try reproducing it in Standalone)
Bugs related to the Octane Engine itself should be posted into the Standalone Support sub-forum.

All bug reports should include the information below, along with a detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce it.
A. Operating System, including version (i.e. Win 7, OSX 10.11.2, Ubuntu 14.04, etc.)
B. Graphics Card(s) model (i.e. GTX 580 - 3GB, TITAN, etc.)
C. RAM Capacity (i.e. 6 GB)
D. Nvidia driver version (i.e. 7.50, 7.5.22)
E. OctaneRender Standalone version, if installed (i.e. 2.24.2, 2.23, etc.)
F. OctaneRender plugin version (i.e. v2.25 - 2.21)
G. Host application version, including build number if available (i.e. 3ds Max 2016 Build 18.0)

Re: Octane crashes houdini to desktop on random frames of anim

Postby juanjgon » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:45 pm

juanjgon Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:45 pm
Great! I'm glad that the problem is resolved. Yeah, overclocking and the GPU (or the CPU= rendering is sometimes not a good idea at all ;)

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby snakeboxmedia » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:55 pm

snakeboxmedia Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:55 pm
It certainly didn't help, but unfortunately as mentioned in the last post "edit2" although I accidentally put it at the top. Bottom line it wasn't fixed :(

I have tried to render the exact same sequence in mantra and redshift and it works just fine in both, but for some reason octane chokes and dies.

I will try and strip the file and upload it for you.
snakeboxmedia
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:00 am

juanjgon Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:00 am
Ah, sorry, I thought that the problem was fixed. Yes, I'm going to need a scene to try to reproduce this problem here, because it is hard to know what could be the problem with the available information in the logs.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby snakeboxmedia » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:28 pm

snakeboxmedia Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:28 pm
Okay, so I have done some more testing.. I will try and break it down into points below:

Firstly I tried hiding certain parts of the scene to see if it was object specific, but what I found was that the result was always the same, no matter, even with everything hidden, only a grid and a test pig left, still gets those segmentation error crashes.
Other things I have tried:

* disable hdri (no change)
* disable AI lighting / AI samples (no change)
* downgrade to octane 2018.1.2 (no change)
* downgrade to Octane 4 (latest build) (no change)
* downgrade nvidia driver to previous studio driver (no change)

Then I found out that many got segmentation errors because of two things.

1. TDR is too low in windows by default for many gpu accelerated apps and this can crash the driver (https://docs.substance3d.com/spdoc/gpu- ... 45489.html)
However, I realized that by installing the redshift demo, it already changes this to 60 seconds (from 5 windows default) - and I even upped it to 120 (no change)
2. onboard audio drivers have a habit of crashing with houdini Qt UI something, basically some library can be outdated and houdini doesn't like it, anyway, tried to change audio drivers (no change)

Now here is the kicker... all of this is only a problem when rendering with Octane.... Redshift demo eats through this scene with no errors... mantra just renders and renderman seems to also just render.

The sad part is that it's clearly not scene specific either, as I first thought, because I managed to get the same error when creating a completely new scene, making a grid + pig + standard octane render setup with an HDRI, out of 150 frames it would crash about half way.

So not quite sure where to go from here. I will say though I have always had "odd" results when rendering overnight using octane, quite often I would get up in the morning and houdini would have crashed at some random point, now thinking back.

Other things to note:
* I am always using Path tracing as render engine
* I am always using full scene reload

While typing this, I just went and did a test, same old "problem" scene, but I turned off full scene reload and left it on update scene (which I believe won't work with the hair sop and animated geo, but could be wrong), anyway, this is the first time I have rendered all 150 frames! not a single error!
It also kind of makes sense, because what I have noticed with the full scene reload, it feels like it is refreshing the houdini UI sometimes too. I got an interesting error saying that it couldn't find the redshift UI toolbar, just before getting the normal errors and eventually segmentation fail. But what was interesting is, that I got that error on startup too, which made sense because I just swapped the .env file around to load either octane or redshift without combining them properly, so if a tab was setup it would complain on start up since the plugin isn't loaded, anyway normal stuff! but I was surprised to see the error again after rendering 30 frames.

turning off full scene reload also completely removed the "can't find null error" that happens prior to the crash to desktop.

I'm sorry if im rambling but I am literally trying everything here, it's annoying me, so hopefully some of this means something to you :D
snakeboxmedia
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:19 pm

juanjgon Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:19 pm
Ok. Thanks for your tests and the detailed reports. I'll try to reproduce this problem here rendering a lot of frames from some of my unit test scenes in full scene reload mode. It is really weird because usually there are more problems updating the scene than reloading it, but let' see.

One last thing, have you tried to render the scene in full scene reload mode, but disabling the multi-thread scene extraction option?

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby snakeboxmedia » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:29 pm

snakeboxmedia Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:29 pm
I have not ?

But I will certainly try this, and report back :) what does that do?

EDIT: I ran the test, but same result. crash to desktop.
snakeboxmedia
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:22 pm

juanjgon Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:22 pm
Sorry, I've been trying to reproduce a crash like that here this weekend, but without luck so far. I think that you had said that you have this problem with any scene, even a simple one. Can you please attach one of these scenes? Perhaps there is something in your configuration, the render target, etc. that I'm missing here ...

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby snakeboxmedia » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:12 pm

snakeboxmedia Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:12 pm
juanjgon wrote:Sorry, I've been trying to reproduce a crash like that here this weekend, but without luck so far. I think that you had said that you have this problem with any scene, even a simple one. Can you please attach one of these scenes? Perhaps there is something in your configuration, the render target, etc. that I'm missing here ...

Thanks,
-Juanjo

Thanks for giving it a go! yes, I will also try to force it tonight and if I succeed I ill attach the file.

I have been thinking about something, can other plugins cause issues like this, even if they load correctly and there is no issues at start up?

My env typically loads the following:

game tools
octane
renderman 22.5
Qlib
redshift demo (sometimes)

now given I was getting the crashes in octane without using any of these as well, but they were loaded on startup, sometimes not redshift but I might try to only load gametools and octane and then try again.

Will keep you posted, thanks again.
snakeboxmedia
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby snakeboxmedia » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:19 pm

snakeboxmedia Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:19 pm
Okay so my original file still crashes, but also has a lot of elements that are awkward to send, so I wanted to create a more simple new scene with a similar setup since, well it crashed a lot.

So now I have a new file, but somehow I got it setup probably, so the hair sim is actually stable and works and...... well octane has rendered all 150 frames twice now without a single error.... so I don't know... but hey! it looks good haha

I will try this approach for now and see if that just works, if so I can only assume something iffy is up with those other assets.

Animation test mentioned above:
https://imgur.com/25epwwX
snakeboxmedia
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Bug Reports