Maximum Out of Core Ram

Forums: Maximum Out of Core Ram
Sub forum for bug reports

Moderator: aoktar

Forum rules
Before posting a bug report, please check the following:
1. That the issue has not already been disclosed
2. That the issue is specific to this plugin, and not Octane in general (Try reproducing it in Standalone)
Bugs related to the Octane Engine itself should be posted into the Standalone Support sub-forum.

All bug reports should include the information below, along with a detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce it.
A. Operating System, including version (i.e. Win 7, OSX 10.11.2, Ubuntu 14.04, etc.)
B. Graphics Card(s) model (i.e. GTX 580 - 3GB, TITAN, etc.)
C. RAM Capacity (i.e. 6 GB)
D. Nvidia driver version (i.e. 7.50, 7.5.22)
E. OctaneRender Standalone version, if installed (i.e. 2.24.2, 2.23, etc.)
F. OctaneRender plugin version (i.e. v2.25 - 2.21)
G. Host application version, including build number if available (i.e. 3ds Max 2016 Build 18.0)
H. A detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce it (Include Screenshots or video capture), as well as an example scene if applicable.
I. Copies of the Octane Log window and Console window outputs (full text attached as a file to your post is recommended).

Please note that reports of issues inside existing threads will be ignored/removed, and reports may be closed if the reporter does not respond to subsequent queries in the thread.

Maximum Out of Core Ram

Postby Ilius » Tue May 21, 2019 7:03 am

Ilius Tue May 21, 2019 7:03 am
Hey guys

Since we've been updated to octane 4 and out-of-core can also do geometry we thougt "cool, lets buy a butt-load of ram and stick it in".
Only after refitting the computers we saw that in Cinema 4d (R19) you can only configure up to 64GB out of core ram usage.

My PC would have double that amount of RAM, now its kinda useless.

Is that a general limitation of octane?
Will this be extended?
Or is it somehow related to our machines?

Cinema R19.068
Octane V4.02.01-R2

3x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti
Intel i7-6850K 3.60 GHz

Thanks for any reply
Ilius
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Maximum Out of Core Ram

Postby bepeg4d » Wed May 22, 2019 3:22 pm

bepeg4d Wed May 22, 2019 3:22 pm
Hi,
try to see if you can go higher in Standalone, but take into consideration that you also need RAM for handling the huge scene in c4d, and for handling frame buffer, especially with passes and/or denoiser, so you cannot use all 128GB of RAM for Out-of-core only.
Have you already tried to reach 64GB of Out-of-core?
ciao Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby aoktar » Thu May 23, 2019 8:33 am

aoktar Thu May 23, 2019 8:33 am
No it's just hard-coded numbers. Why do you need so much RAM to use? Collecting for user experiences, are you using optimizations or just go straight-forward on scenes?
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Ilius » Wed May 29, 2019 6:24 am

Ilius Wed May 29, 2019 6:24 am
Sorry with the late reply - we had much work to do in the last days and i just forgot somehow...

bepeg4d wrote:Hi,
try to see if you can go higher in Standalone, but take into consideration that you also need RAM for handling the huge scene in c4d, and for handling frame buffer, especially with passes and/or denoiser, so you cannot use all 128GB of RAM for Out-of-core only.
ciao Beppe

Thanks for your thoughts, before upgrading our RAM we always worked with 60GB Ram for Octane and only 4GB remaining for the rest of Windows/Cinema Operations and it worke fine, so i guess if i could go up to a 120GB for Octane it should be fine.
Im now working with 64 GB and its also working just fine. Some Scenes cant even be handled by our other computers anymore, because they dont have the extra 4 GB RAM to spare.

aoktar wrote:No it's just hard-coded numbers. Why do you need so much RAM to use? Collecting for user experiences, are you using optimizations or just go straight-forward on scenes?

Also thanks to you for your reply,
Our Office is in the field of Architectural Renderings and I myself also work for the gaming industry as a freelancer, making Models, texturing etc.
Because of my experience with gaming i pride myself with opimization in my work for architectural scenes.

I always try to:
- reduce the poly-count of too-high poly objects to a bareable minimum whereas it is still nice to look at at a given distance (depends on scene)
- avoid doubling of textures when copy and pasting obejcts from scenes
- reduce textures to a 1k/2k depending on their importance for the scene
- use displacement only when it is close enough to the camera to actualy be seen
- use as many render-instances as i can
- avoid overlaping geometries
- no booles or other cinema-operations that could consume ram

Even with all that, we currently have overview stills to render, where we are above buildings and need to show a lot of stuff, like cars, vegetation, people, furniture inddor/outdoor (and variance in the furniture, because our client doesn't want to see too much of the same stuff) sourrounging buildings, etc.
Our polycount sometimes goes up to 11-12 million - which seems to be the magical border of octane where it either renders or gives me a black screen, even though there are claims that there is no limitation anymore.

so that is our situation.

Does hard-coded numbers mean, that they could go up in an update? I'm sorry im not familiar with programming expressions...
Last edited by Ilius on Wed May 29, 2019 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ilius
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Ilius » Wed May 29, 2019 6:47 am

Ilius Wed May 29, 2019 6:47 am
bepeg4d wrote:Hi,
ciao Beppe

Well i've tried in Standalone right now and as you can see in the attachment, it could go higher in standalone.
It would still be nice to be able to go higher inside Cinema 4D, always exporting the scenes, which are huge sometimes, doesnt seem like a streamlined process

PS.: Seeing the attachmend image i am reminded that we installed some of the RAM elsewhere so sorry, i currently have 96 GB of RAM not 128GB...
Attachments
Out of Core.PNG
Ilius
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Ilius » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:16 am

Ilius Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:16 am
soooo, any news on that topic?

Would be nice to be able to go higher inside Cinema.
Exporting for Standalone everytime we change details is not a viable choice vor us, moreso because octane has a tendency to crash during export of big scenes.
Ilius
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aoktar » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:56 am

aoktar Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:56 am
Ilius wrote:soooo, any news on that topic?

Would be nice to be able to go higher inside Cinema.
Exporting for Standalone everytime we change details is not a viable choice vor us, moreso because octane has a tendency to crash during export of big scenes.

I've changed it for next builds. Btw try to optimize your scenes for performance.
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Ilius » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:12 am

Ilius Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:12 am
I've changed it for next builds. Btw try to optimize your scenes for performance.

Thanks thats nice.
and i will try furthermore
Ilius
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Bug Reports