Unity - No Feature Request?

Forums: Unity - No Feature Request?
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the Octane for Unity Alpha

Moderator: ChrisHekman

Unity - No Feature Request?

Postby SamuelAB » Mon May 20, 2019 12:09 pm

SamuelAB Mon May 20, 2019 12:09 pm
I've noticed that the Unity plugin does not contain feature requests.

Here are my requests:

When you add nodes to the root scene (Kernel, camera images, etc), it would be great if they survived the session. By that I mean that right now you can add nodes in Octane, but if you close Unity and come back all the nodes are gone.

It would be great if you could export the whole scene as an ORBx to be able to send it to another computer to render independently or even just save the file as a standalone ORBx (especially since all the added node settings disappear after closing Unity)

This is more of a general Octane problem, but I have not found a fast way to create a node for multiple elements easily without plugin them all manually. when I select multiple nodes and selct one of their internal nodes and click EXPAND, it would be great if all those nodes could connect to a new node instead of just one of them connecting to a new external node.

NODES.jpg

One last thing, when you select multiple nodes you can see the properties of the selected nodes (example, you select 20 render targets), it will allow you to change the properties, but that change affect only one of the nodes. It would be great to select multiple nodes and change the properties of multiple nodes.

Also, please add a "Feature request" for Octane for Unity :)
SamuelAB
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Unity - No Feature Request?

Postby ChrisHekman » Tue May 21, 2019 8:47 am

ChrisHekman Tue May 21, 2019 8:47 am
When you add nodes to the root scene (Kernel, camera images, etc), it would be great if they survived the session. By that I mean that right now you can add nodes in Octane, but if you close Unity and come back all the nodes are gone.

Could you tell me what you are trying to do that you cant do from within OctaneForUnity?

Code: Select all
It would be great if you could export the whole scene as an ORBx to be able to send it to another computer to render independently or even just save the file as a standalone ORBx (especially since all the added node settings disappear after closing Unity)

You can export the scene as an orbx. In the top bar menu there is an option to export orbx.

This is more of a general Octane problem, but I have not found a fast way to create a node for multiple elements easily without plugin them all manually. when I select multiple nodes and selct one of their internal nodes and click EXPAND, it would be great if all those nodes could connect to a new node instead of just one of them connecting to a new external node.

The node is not actually "new" it holds the same data as the internal node. Your suggestion has the problem that 2 of the nodes will be overwritten and have their information changed.

when you select multiple nodes you can see the properties of the selected nodes (example, you select 20 render targets), it will allow you to change the properties, but that change affect only one of the nodes. It would be great to select multiple nodes and change the properties of multiple nodes.

I agree, you should post this in the octane forums.
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: Unity - No Feature Request?

Postby SamuelAB » Tue May 21, 2019 11:33 am

SamuelAB Tue May 21, 2019 11:33 am
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the quick response, here are my answers:

Could you tell me what you are trying to do that you cant do from within OctaneForUnity?

I am baking in Octane in Unity, so I am doing things like adding an environment node, a camera image node, etc. These nodes disappear when I close Unity, which makes baking difficult since I have to reconnect the node at each session.

You can export the scene as an orbx. In the top bar menu there is an option to export orbx.

I realized that it is in the Unity Octane menu, but not in the Octane menu, this is why I was confused. Could be a good UI move to have the option in the Octane window of Unity as well. Glad to see this is available!

The node is not actually "new" it holds the same data as the internal node. Your suggestion has the problem that 2 of the nodes will be overwritten and have their information changed.

Would you know of an easy way to connect 20+ items to a new node? The node workflow gets less powerful the more nodes I have to connect manually.

Thank you!
SamuelAB
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Octane for Unity