Fork Blender

Forums: Fork Blender
Blender (Export script developed by yoyoz; Integrated Plugin developed by JimStar)

Re: Fork Blender

Postby FrankPooleFloating » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:10 pm

FrankPooleFloating Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:10 pm
Lino, buddy.. um, :oops: is there anything to "keep us posted" about, nearly six weeks later?.. Pretty please with sugar on top?.. Would really love to have a new guesstimate of when the first Octane Blender 2.8 might drop....
Win10Pro || GA-X99-SOC-Champion || i7 5820k w/ H60 || 32GB DDR4 || 3x EVGA RTX 2070 Super Hybrid || EVGA Supernova G2 1300W || Tt Core X9 || LightWave Plug (v4 for old gigs) || Blender E-Cycles
FrankPooleFloating
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby linograndiotoy » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:57 am

linograndiotoy Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:57 am
FrankPooleFloating wrote:Lino, buddy.. um, :oops: is there anything to "keep us posted" about, nearly six weeks later?.. Pretty please with sugar on top?.. Would really love to have a new guesstimate of when the first Octane Blender 2.8 might drop....

Hi Frank!

I've been testing the very first Octane for Blender 2.8 implementation and really looks great. There are some important features still missing (not implemented yet) and issues to be fixed, but I can already say it will be an awesome improvement over the already very good 2.79 implementation, especially thanks to the new Blender 2.8 API.

Of course is still far from being usable in production, so it will take some more time before the first beta is released to users. What I can say for sure, is this will happen before Blender 2.8 is officially released. Blender 2.8 should be officially released by July, so Octane 2018 for Blender should definitely be available to users before that date.

And when Blender 2.8 will be officially released, we'll need some time to adapt that final build (and any stable following build) so it can work with Octane the best way.

Please consider that developers are working on the 2.8 integration while keeping Octane for Blender 2.79 V4 and 2018 constantly updated (both 2.79 with Octane V4.04 and V2018.2 will be available soon), and that's quite a big workload.

While we're very excited to be working on the 2.8 Octane implementation, keeping the current and different 2.79 versions updated and constantly improve those is very important.
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby FrankPooleFloating » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:30 pm

FrankPooleFloating Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:30 pm
Ouch... Okay Lino. I really thought it would be coming sooner than that. I guess E-Cycles (just bought it) will have to suffice until then. I've found that I just can't stand to work in LW any more. Blender 2.8 has flipped the script on LW & Blender for me. Never in a million years....
Win10Pro || GA-X99-SOC-Champion || i7 5820k w/ H60 || 32GB DDR4 || 3x EVGA RTX 2070 Super Hybrid || EVGA Supernova G2 1300W || Tt Core X9 || LightWave Plug (v4 for old gigs) || Blender E-Cycles
FrankPooleFloating
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ivobran » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:17 am

ivobran Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:17 am
Thank you Lino for the information!

I personally am willing to work with an alpha build since i am not using Blender in production and my main setup is Cinema 4D with Octane until you release the 2.8 version, so if there is an option to do some testing on an alpha or just to chase some bugs in a regular working environment i think there are plenty of candidates eager to try it out including me. Not sure how your policy is on that so i am just putting it out there. :D
ivobran
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby linograndiotoy » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:55 am

linograndiotoy Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:55 am
ivobran wrote:Thank you Lino for the information!

I personally am willing to work with an alpha build since i am not using Blender in production and my main setup is Cinema 4D with Octane until you release the 2.8 version, so if there is an option to do some testing on an alpha or just to chase some bugs in a regular working environment i think there are plenty of candidates eager to try it out including me. Not sure how your policy is on that so i am just putting it out there. :D

Thanks!

We need a full implementation and some more internal testing before making Octane for Blender 2.8 available for some wider user base in the form of a test build. It's going to happen, and it's going to be quite exciting!
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby FrankPooleFloating » Fri May 10, 2019 6:56 pm

FrankPooleFloating Fri May 10, 2019 6:56 pm
So Lino & Jules, here is the thing.. I've been using E-Cycles for weeks now.. and I have to tell you two, and anyone else at Otoy who will listen: Unless you gents find some way to either convert on the fly in the background OR straight-up use Blender's materials (mainly Principled BSDF obviously), I'm thinking that it is likely that Octane will just become another tool in my toolbox -- one that I merely use for things that Blender just can't do in Cycles -- and not continue to be my main render engine. I am just being honest here. I'm getting astonishing results with Cycles and pretty damn nice speeds with E-Cycles. Of course I'm going to do speed comparisons as soon as Octane Blender 2.8 is ready, and I'm sure Octane will be faster (perhaps waaay faster), but being able to work with Blender materials natively, and use incredible addons like Graswald without touching mats whatsoever, or bring in my glTFs from Painter and render away, etc, is going to make it quite tough for me to to make the conscious decision to set up Octane materials and switch over to Octane Engine if I am not very compelled to do so... So I really, really encourage you guys to look into what it would take to make this happen. I've loved using Octane for these 6.5 years on a nearly daily basis, and I'd be thrilled to continue to do so....
FrankPooleFloating
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby linograndiotoy » Mon May 13, 2019 8:21 am

linograndiotoy Mon May 13, 2019 8:21 am
FrankPooleFloating wrote:So Lino & Jules, here is the thing.. I've been using E-Cycles for weeks now.. and I have to tell you two, and anyone else at Otoy who will listen: Unless you gents find some way to either convert on the fly in the background OR straight-up use Blender's materials (mainly Principled BSDF obviously), I'm thinking that it is likely that Octane will just become another tool in my toolbox -- one that I merely use for things that Blender just can't do in Cycles -- and not continue to be my main render engine. I am just being honest here. I'm getting astonishing results with Cycles and pretty damn nice speeds with E-Cycles. Of course I'm going to do speed comparisons as soon as Octane Blender 2.8 is ready, and I'm sure Octane will be faster (perhaps waaay faster), but being able to work with Blender materials natively, and use incredible addons like Graswald without touching mats whatsoever, or bring in my glTFs from Painter and render away, etc, is going to make it quite tough for me to to make the conscious decision to set up Octane materials and switch over to Octane Engine if I am not very compelled to do so... So I really, really encourage you guys to look into what it would take to make this happen. I've loved using Octane for these 6.5 years on a nearly daily basis, and I'd be thrilled to continue to do so....

Cycles to Octane material nodes conversion would be really useful for sure, and it's something to be considered. We should be able to use some of the amazing addons available for Blender without having to manually convert materials.

There's an addon allowing for that, but it probably needs to be updated:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=68480

We share your feelings about this, and we're aware of the importance of direct Cycles to Octane material conversion.

Thanks for your feedback!
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby linograndiotoy » Mon May 13, 2019 8:25 am

linograndiotoy Mon May 13, 2019 8:25 am
Speaking of Octane for Blender 2.8, this is a sneak peek of the latest internal build:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/OctaneR ... 677218641/
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby FrankPooleFloating » Mon May 13, 2019 6:22 pm

FrankPooleFloating Mon May 13, 2019 6:22 pm
Thanks for the update Lino. Octane Universal and PrBSDF mats seem to be damn similar (off the top of my head). Can't be rocket science.. and would certainly be worth the effort for Otoy I should think.
FrankPooleFloating
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby FrankPooleFloating » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:29 pm

FrankPooleFloating Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:29 pm
Take all the time in the world that you need. Really. Weeks.. Months.. Matters not to me. It's official now: You'll need to win me back from E-Cycles, and that is likely to be quite challenging for you. Octane Blender 2.8 will need to be able to use PrBSDF, and be faster than E-Cycles, which it doesn't appear to be for now...

Don't worry, I'll need to keep my Octane license active for years yet, because there may still be the odd thing or two that Octane does better or Cycles can't do, and there is a high likelihood that I'll need to reopen some of my old Octane LightWave jobs...

But regardless of how things turn out for us, thank you so much for providing me with a wonderful engine and a kickass LW Plug (Juanjo effing rocks!) for these 6.5 years! Take care guys! Good luck with what lies ahead! I'm rootin' for ya!
FrankPooleFloating
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Blender