File Corruptions

Forums: File Corruptions
Sub forum for bug reports

Moderator: juanjgon

Forum rules
Before posting a bug report, please check the following:
1. That the issue has not already been disclosed
2. That the issue is specific to this plugin, and not Octane in general (Try reproducing it in Standalone)
Bugs related to the Octane Engine itself should be posted into the Standalone Support sub-forum.

All bug reports should include the information below, along with a detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce it.
A. Operating System, including version (i.e. Win 7, OSX 10.11.2, Ubuntu 14.04, etc.)
B. Graphics Card(s) model (i.e. GTX 580 - 3GB, TITAN, etc.)
C. RAM Capacity (i.e. 6 GB)
D. Nvidia driver version (i.e. 7.50, 7.5.22)
E. OctaneRender Standalone version, if installed (i.e. 2.24.2, 2.23, etc.)
F. OctaneRender plugin version (i.e. v2.25 - 2.21)
G. Host application version, including build number if available (i.e. 3ds Max 2016 Build 18.0)

File Corruptions

Postby imagee » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:00 am

imagee Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:00 am
I've been getting file corruptions since I updated to Houdini 17.5 and updated Octane to 4.02.1.1

When I try and open the corrupted file the octane parameters are replaced with single letters like t and s and eventually Houdini crashes with a segmentation error. I cant seem to recreate the corruption but its happened on 4/5 scenes I worked on this week. Usually happens after working on the file for a while, and after I have set up all the octane render nodes.
imagee
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: File Corruptions

Postby juanjgon » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:24 am

juanjgon Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:24 am
Hi,

Sorry for this issue. I have another report about this same problem with Houdini 17.5, but unfortunately, we have not been able to reproduce it here. Only one question, do you have another plugin installed, perhaps another renderer like Arnold?

Also, can you please disable the multi-thread scene extraction option available in the ROP node to see if it helps with this issue? If you can confirm that with this option disabled you don't get this problem again, this can be a clue about the origin of this problem. I have seen this problem a long time ago, in the first plugin builds, but after fixing it (it was related to an HDK issue with the multi-thread extraction option) I had not seen it again until the new Houdini 17.5 release.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby imagee » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:04 am

imagee Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:04 am
Hey thanks for the help. I don't have any plugins besides octane but I turned off multi-thread scene extraction and I haven't had any file corruptions today. :D so far it looks like that was the solution
imagee
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:31 am

juanjgon Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:31 am
imagee wrote:Hey thanks for the help. I don't have any plugins besides octane but I turned off multi-thread scene extraction and I haven't had any file corruptions today. :D so far it looks like that was the solution

Ok. So somehow this old problem, fixed years ago, is back. I don't understand how it is possible, but I'll try to reproduce the problem here ... are you working with complex scenes? If you could send me one of these scenes, it could help.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby imagee » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:34 pm

imagee Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:34 pm
Yeah i think the scenes are pretty complex, here's an example of a corrupted file. And so far I haven't seen any new corruptions
imagee
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby imagee » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:36 pm

imagee Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:36 pm
scene:
Attachments
corrupted_scene.zip
(169.41 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
imagee
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:52 pm

juanjgon Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:52 pm
Thanks for the scene. I'll try to reproduce the problem here using your scene. I've another couple of reports about the same issue, but unfortunately, I've not been able to reproduce the problem here yet :(

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby juanjgon » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:34 pm

juanjgon Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:34 pm
Hi,

I've been refactoring some functions in the plugins that could be related to the scene file corruption critical issue. Can you please download and test this new build 4.02.1.2? Remember to enable again the multi-thread scene extraction to check if the problem is fixed, but please, try to have a scene backup because, to be honest, I'm not 100% sure that the problem has been fixed.

https://render.otoy.com/customerdownloa ... _Win64.zip
https://render.otoy.com/customerdownloa ... n64_vr.zip

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby juanjgon » Mon May 06, 2019 8:34 pm

juanjgon Mon May 06, 2019 8:34 pm
Hi,

After a long time trying to reproduce and find the source of this issue, we've updated the 4.04.0.2 and 2018.1.2.1 plugin builds, adding new code to try to fix these rare problems related to the scene corruptions reported by some users.

Hope it helps to fix this weird issue,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby fantome » Wed May 15, 2019 7:00 am

fantome Wed May 15, 2019 7:00 am
Hi,

We also encounter similar problems during a project with a friends.
In 8 years of using Houdini we never had a scene corruption problem with houdini. Those kind of problems were a things of the past while using maya and nParticles.

But recently my friend has done an approved shot for a project and was just unable to open his scene, so i couldn't believe that , and i also try. i also fail to open it, and it also fail on a linux machine.
So it was just impossible to get our work back.
Basically when opening the scene the houdini console was opening and display an infinite looping message log contening the O_PUI ? O_UI ? OPUI ? OUI ? word ( i dont remember exactly ).

He finally was able to open his scene and get his work while using a voodoo tricks from symek on odforce.
https://forums.odforce.net/topic/27410- ... -hip-file/
This post save our ass as we were able to open the cpio archive and edit it manually.

Then 5 days later still suspecting my fellow friend of being a lazy / unprofessional human being, i get the exact same problem, console was opening with infinite loop, and it was impossible to open it. fortunately i am a huge paranoid and save my scenes around 100000 times per day so there was no issue to get our work back.

But from there, while we have no proof it is an octane for houdini problem we switch all our render on standalone and delete all octane nodes in our scenes.
From there we didn't encounter any scene corruption problems.

We have now switch all our renders on standalone and stop using octane for houdini for the moments just as a precaution.
Again we have no evidence that octane corrupt the scene.
But Octane for houdini is the only variable we have added in the equation in 8 years without any problem of this kind, so i highly suspect it from being at the core of the log message.

Cheers
E
fantome
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Bug Reports