Camera as texture projector?

Forums: Camera as texture projector?
Blender (Export script developed by yoyoz; Integrated Plugin developed by JimStar)

Re: Camera as texture projector?

Postby Whispermode » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:35 pm

Whispermode Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:35 pm
linograndiotoy wrote:
Yes, it's recording the current state as you activate the option. Then you can move the camera as you need, no sliding!

Hi Lino,

Sanity check please. The version of this that's in 2018.1 isn't the finished implementation, right?

I've just upgraded and tried this out, and it doesn't really work as it should. The image skews, crops, changes alignment. With some aspect ratios it doesn't seem to work at all. Even in your demo video, the image changes shape as soon as you change to render view.

Is it a work in progress?
Whispermode
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby linograndiotoy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:10 pm

linograndiotoy Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:10 pm
Whispermode wrote:
linograndiotoy wrote:
Yes, it's recording the current state as you activate the option. Then you can move the camera as you need, no sliding!

Hi Lino,

Sanity check please. The version of this that's in 2018.1 isn't the finished implementation, right?

I've just upgraded and tried this out, and it doesn't really work as it should. The image skews, crops, changes alignment. With some aspect ratios it doesn't seem to work at all. Even in your demo video, the image changes shape as soon as you change to render view.

Is it a work in progress?

Hi!

Could you please show me in which case it fails?

At the moment what this option does is to make an image stick to the geometry, even when the camera gets moved. Which means that you decide from which perspective/camera angle it should stick. Then you're free to move the camera and change perspective, and the image will stay consistent with the geometry surface (which is exactly what I'm showing in my video).

If what you need is to constantly project an image from the camera, so the projected image stays consistent with the camera view itself, not with the geometry, we'll probably need to add an option to allow that.
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Whispermode » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:03 pm

Whispermode Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:03 pm
linograndiotoy wrote:
Could you please show me in which case it fails?

Hi Lino,

So, I need exactly what you describe. Ultimately, I want to ensure that, once I've recreated the geometry from the background image, project and press render, all camera perspectives are the same. It doesn't do that.

Your demo video shows how it fails: the difference in the perspective/shape of the image between 9s and 10s in the top window shows the problem (?).

It seems to exhibit the same (bad) behavior that Blender's projection modifier does. In some cases it just repeats the image at weird angles, or seems to zoom out showing the borders of the image.

How do I attach screenshots (sorry) and I'll do some later?
Whispermode
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby linograndiotoy » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:08 am

linograndiotoy Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:08 am
Hi!

In my video it doesn't fail. I'm just going from Camera to Perspective mode. The image mapped on the model sticks to it as it should, both in Camera and Perspective mode. That's exactly how that's intended to be working.
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby linograndiotoy » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:11 am

linograndiotoy Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:11 am
To add an image you need to use the Upload attachement option. Click on it then you can define a path to the image you want to attach. Once done click on Add the file.
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Whispermode » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:56 pm

Whispermode Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:56 pm
For info: this still doesn't work, but a fix is in the pipeline.

Lino to confirm.
Whispermode
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Blender